Author Topic: using 4 fingers on the major E scale  (Read 2318 times)

iraqi88

using 4 fingers on the major E scale
« on: April 27, 2008, 04:36:56 pm »
hi all thanks justin for the great website im from iraq music grow up in me in this war torn nation so i was asking can i use 3 fingers instead of 4 while playing the E scale or any other scale? thanks alot from and best wishes

ddesc

Re: using 4 fingers on the major E scale
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:14:23 pm »
Hi,

I do not see why you would not be able to use just 3 fingers. When playing scales in the different positions up and down the fret board you only use three notes per string. I would suggest you take a bit of time doing Justin's stretching exercises since you will need to use a bit more reach than you would if you used 4 fingers. The fingering you will need to work out what works best for you.

If you are looking for some inspiration check out Django Reinhardt, if you don't already know about him. A great Jazz guitarist from the 30's. He was badly burnt in a fire and lost the use of both his 3rd and 4th fingers. As a result he played his solos using only his 1st and 2nd fingers. You should be able to find examples of his music on YouTube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

Good luck with it.

iraqi88

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:45:51 pm »
Hi,

I do not see why you would not be able to use just 3 fingers. When playing scales in the different positions up and down the fret board you only use three notes per string. I would suggest you take a bit of time doing Justin's stretching exercises since you will need to use a bit more reach than you would if you used 4 fingers. The fingering you will need to work out what works best for you.

If you are looking for some inspiration check out Django Reinhardt, if you don't already know about him. A great Jazz guitarist from the 30's. He was badly burnt in a fire and lost the use of both his 3rd and 4th fingers. As a result he played his solos using only his 1st and 2nd fingers. You should be able to find examples of his music on YouTube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

Good luck with it.

thx alot man i really appreciate it

ljy17

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:09:18 am »
I don't understand.

You dont wnat to use your 4th finger or you havn't got a forth finger/unable to use it?

???

iraqi88

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:56:13 am »
no i have a forth finger but every time i use it i got mistakes and when i use it i play slowly

rendelven

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:34:56 pm »
You should practice using your little finger. The more you use it the more agile and stronger it will become, allowing you to play better at faster speeds. Most people have trouble getting their pinky finger under control - it takes practice. You will be limiting yourself if you refuse to learn how to play with the little finger.

ljy17

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 02:36:47 pm »
agreed with rendelvan.

it's just a waste of resources if you dont use your lil finger

ddesc

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 10:43:41 pm »
Agree,

I assumed you had lost the use of one of your fingers. If you have no reason to not use one of them then you should definitely use it. It will make it all so much easier in the long run.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App