Author Topic: Ottawa , Montreal , or Toronto Canada  (Read 22272 times)

Offline Taragen

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Ottawa , Montreal , or Toronto Canada
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 07:19:16 pm »
Anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area would be awesome. From the looks of all the interest, you may need to lease an auditourim ;-)

Aluch

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »
hi there,
any news yet of Justin coming near Toronto? or at least recommending another instructor he is familiar with here?

regards
Aluch

AndreaN

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »
Don't forget Vancouver!

Offline Vincent

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »
+1 Ottawa

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 09:28:57 pm »
If I make it to Toronto - can you guys recommend a nice small place to do a little acoustic gig - just small like 50-100 people - and also nice boutique style hotel (I hate Hiltons, Marriots etc) but like nice hotels...

Of course will do one or two days teaching too depending on interest.

Toronto is going to happen in August sometime, still working n all the dates and if I'm going to do it solo, duo, trio or band...

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 12:33:32 pm »
What would be a reasonable hourly charge for a private lesson in Toronto... in UK I can charge £75 which is top whack, but that's like $150 which is beyond most peoples budget for a lesson...

So what you think it reasonable for me to charge?
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Vincent

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 05:15:08 pm »
As posted in another thread - $100 CAD would be acceptable to me considering I'd have more expenses to cover (travel and lodging if Toronto and Travel only if Montreal is a possibility).

If I lived in Toronto - $150 with not other expense would be steep - It wouldn't be slam dunk for me - but would be considering it for sure.

$150 plus travel - that puts it out of reach for me.

Just as a benchmark - I make about $65K a year with wife, 2 kids and mortage....so money is tight - I'm not poor - but gotta watch each dollar - not sure if I'm your typical "follower" and if I fit in your demographics.

Aluch

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:10 pm »
well, justin
$150 an  hour is way too much here in canada, the country with its current unemployment is not doing great now.  Most private lessons are around the $50 an hour, you can have a look at the local advert here

thanks

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 01:27:29 am »
I'm thinking it is going to need to be $100 a lesson. I know it's a lot, but flights, accodation, food and car hire etc are going to make it a pretty expensive trip for me too, I doubt I would make much money out of it, but hopefully have some fun! I hope that I might be able to subsidise some lesson too, maybe do some group things - lets see how it pans out...

PickOfDestiny89

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 05:12:28 pm »
Any chance you're coming to Montreal? Otherwise I will have to fly to
Toronto or maybe New York to get to see you :p
I mean it's really close to New York so maybe you can squeeze in a day after that on your way to Toronto  ;)

FlatWound

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 02:23:28 am »
In terms of a venue for Justin for a "little acoustic gig", can anyone who lives in Toronto comment on the Tranzac Club?   It's been a long time since I was there last, but it's in a good location, hosts a wide range of acoustic bands, and I've got to assume that the "Toronto Australian New Zealand Club" would welcome another ex-pat.  http://www.tranzac.org/

Arles

Montreal!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 06:39:48 pm »
Montreal is an awesome place to visit! No offense to Ottawa, and Toronto (which I visit often) Montreal has a chill vibe.

Plz Justin come to Montreal!

Offline Vincent

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 08:25:06 pm »
I agree. I live in ottawa and prefer you would come here for my own benifit.  But without my personal interests at heart, I would highly recommend Montreal over Ottawa or Toronto with respect to the "vibe".  Very cool city indeed.  I'd pay 100 dollars CAD for an hour no problem and would displace myself for a lesson and stay for an evening get together if one was made available.

scuba1

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 03:04:04 am »
 Did the trip to Canada happen?If it didnt will it happen in the future?I live in alberta and would love to meet Justin and have a private lesson.     scuba1

Offline Pribeiro

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 08:04:09 pm »
I'm hoping I haven't missed Justin's visit to Toronto?

I too would be very willing to pay the $100.00, for a lesson, but it would be great if we could get a little firmer commitment on the date.

Tranzac club would be fine.  I'd also recommend you check out...

Gladstone Hotel, http://www.gladstonehotel.com/
Hugh's Room, http://hughsroom.com/wordpress/
Lula Lounge http://www.lulalounge.ca/
Free Times Cafe http://www.freetimescafe.com/
Lee's Palace http://www.leespalace.com/
Drake Hotel http://www.thedrakehotel.ca/info/about

Justin, there are also some nice guitar shops here.  You might want to check capsule music, www.capsulemusic.com,  which is very close to quite a few of the places I've listed here.  Great vintage stuff. 

Hope we in Toronto can make plans to see you perform and get a lesson soon. 

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »
Dudes - I am teaching in Toronto on Sat 27th, Sunday 28th (maybe the monday if there is enough demand). Get in touch, I imagine (hope) they fill up cos I just booked a nice hotel ;)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 09:05:02 pm »
I think that $100.00 could be attainable for most people.  I would be more than willing to do that!

Where  abouts in TO are you teaching?  I want to start making arrangements now.  I hope I don't have a job by then!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

PickOfDestiny89

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 04:06:53 am »
Dudes - I am teaching in Toronto on Sat 27th, Sunday 28th (maybe the monday if there is enough demand). Get in touch, I imagine (hope) they fill up cos I just booked a nice hotel ;)
Hmmm I'm not able to make it there unfortunately... I hope you'll come visit Montreal in the future! Btw I think 100$ is a fair price!

KevinC

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 06:29:03 pm »
Would love to reserve a slot - there are 6 left - but unfortunately I don't have an electric yet and I won't for a while. For now I'll just keep plugging away at the beginner's course and learning my shapes.

Can you let us know how it turns out? I'll book one the next time you cross the pond.

I'm in Kitchener and I'm actually surprised at how many students of yours are in this city!

Offline Pribeiro

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 04:42:00 pm »
Had my lesson with Justin in Toronto last night, and had a great time.  I highly recommend the experience to all if you ever get the chance!  Thanks Justin, it was a blast, hope you come back to Canada soon.

groovebassgurl

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 03:23:58 am »
Thank you Justin for an phenomenal lesson!  Hanging out at the Drake was awesome too.  So much fun.  You're the best.  I miss you already.  :(  Come back soon!

I highly recommend a private lesson with Justin.  Totally worth every penny (and then some.)  I learned so much in that one hour.  He was able to point out some of my incorrect fingerings and techniques .. some bad habits that I developed over years of self-teaching.  But most importantly, he re-inspired me and motivated me.  Haven't put down my guitar since.  Best guitar teacher ever and just a great guy overall. 

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 05:59:46 pm »
Thanks Gurl and Pribeiro :)

Had a great time in Toronto and I'm sure to be back!! :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App