Author Topic: Changing Pickups on a Stratocaster?  (Read 5242 times)

merc_thunder

Changing Pickups on a Stratocaster?
« on: March 02, 2007, 03:31:40 pm »
Hi all,

I have never modded a guitar in my life, and was wondering if anyone out there has found some very good resources, which have step by step instructions to change the pickups on a stratocaster/squier?

Thanks guys.

Any help is much appreciated.

monteverdi9

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:12:17 pm »
Hi MT,

I believe that he switches out a gibson in this lesson but this site may help...
http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1997/11/tip.html

There are tons of sites that should help though, seymour duncans website has a how to section, musician's friend has a few articles on pickup replacement, etc...

If you google, 'guitar pickup replacement' you should find what you're looking for...so long as you can use a soldering iron well enough, you should be able to switch them out okay, if not...it doesn't cost much to have a tech do it...

Good Luck,

darkvoid86

Re: Changing Pickups on a Stratocaster?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:33:01 pm »
Quote from: "merc_thunder"
Hi all,

I have never modded a guitar in my life, and was wondering if anyone out there has found some very good resources, which have step by step instructions to change the pickups on a stratocaster/squier?

Thanks guys.

Any help is much appreciated.

Ooooooooooooooooooooh pickup question!!!!! :twisted:  

do you by any chance know what you want to put in and whether or not you need to buy a new scratch plate for it? (you may have bought a super or fat squire strat?) you got any other plans to mod your guitar?

merc_thunder

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 02:01:40 am »
well i have a mexco strat, with standard strat coil pick ups. i would like to replace these with the delta tone pick ups (i think that is what they are called), that are found on the americn strats.

monteverdi9

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:05:32 am »
Darkvoid, where you at? :?:   I know you're into this topic...I want to see what your mod for this chap would be...

darkvoid86

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 12:35:05 am »
Quote from: "merc_thunder"
well i have a mexco strat, with standard strat coil pick ups. i would like to replace these with the delta tone pick ups (i think that is what they are called), that are found on the americn strats.

TADAAAAAA :!:  :!:

ok well if you like the classic fender sound then youve gone for some good pickups. HOWEVER if you like the bell like tone and also like the sound of noise cancelation then i would go for the yngwie malmsteen setup of the Dimarzio HS 1, 2 + 3.

However if you REALLY like to be a beast and play with some distortion then you could go the Iron maiden approach and sacrifice some of the bell-tone for at least a hotrail in the bridge?  The best hot-rails in my opinion would be some from Dimarzio (e.g. super distortion S / Tone Zone S), or perhaps even kent armstrong? seymour duncans are rediculousely popular pickups but im a dead set di-marzio man/bill lawrence man.

My Squire Strat got turned into a super strat and i put a Bill Lawrence L500 XL in the bridge with a dimarzio PAF pro in the neck.  But because i wanted to do this i ended up buying a black scratch plate with the HH holes in it and i got carried away and changed every facet on the guitar other than the beat up/cacked paint job on the body  :roll:  8) but i do love this guitar that is rediculousely unique  :P

By the way alot of pickups or pickup sets come with instructions.  Bill Lawrence ones and EMGs that ive ordered definitely do because you can wire them up in so many ways!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 06:42:49 am »
the place for all the tech info you will ever need is linked below. amazing resource.

atm in the s/burst strat I have blend pot - so my tone control blends in the humbucking sound of my seymour duncan little 59, so on 0 it's just a single coil and at 10 it's a humbucker! interesting, first time i tried it (wiring for this is on the link below too)

have fun - and remember the worst that can happen is you have to take the guitar to the shop and have them fix it up - so go for it and have fun - i love fiddlin about in there :)

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App