Author Topic: The Thank You Thread  (Read 458142 times)

Offline Hot Air

• Good Vibes 0
Another Thank You!
« Reply #3000 on: March 26, 2019, 02:28:05 pm »
Justin, thanks for being such a legend and setting up such an awesome website.

I’ve mucked around with guitars for several years but never had any formal lessons. I learned some classical piano in the past and used to play keyboards in a rock n roll band so the music theory etc really helps but I’ve been very slack about getting around to learning properly on the guitar. My band mates taught me a few basics but that’s it. I Decided to start your guitar course from the very beginning so that I don’t miss any fundamental techniques etc. It’s great!

I injured my knee playing sports and just had reconstructive surgery. Whilst that really sucks, it’s a good opportunity to get down to some dedicated guitar learning. I made you a donation in the past but I’ll drop you another because what you’re doing is top notch and you go down as one of the good people in the world, for sure.

All the best!

S.R.

Offline MsTerra

• Good Vibes 0
Re: The Thank You Thread
« Reply #3001 on: March 31, 2019, 10:26:06 pm »
A big thanks to Justin and his team! You're helping an old lady learn some new tricks!

Nickname: Terra
Real (full) name: Theresa (but hardly anyone calls me that anymore)
Age and birthday: 52, mid-January (when everyone's burnt out after the holidays)
Habitat: Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

Which guitar(s) do you own? Yamaha "student" acoustic, cheap Epiphone acoustic, Guild (not so cheap) acoustic, Squier Affinity strat, Fender Mustang 90

Which guitar do you currently play on? mostly the Mustang and the Guild

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender Mustang 1 v.2

How long have you been playing guitar? started when I was a teenager, dropped it for decades, picked it up again a couple of years ago

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? rock and blues, primarily, but I like a lot of different kinds of music

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? whatever' in the Justin Beginner Course, for now

Who are your favorite bands? Queen 4evah! Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, orchestras/groups headed by Benny Goodman & Artie Shaw, Ink Spots, Muse, Claypool Lennon Delirium...

What inspired you to start playing guitar? My father won one (my Yamaha) plus four lessons in a raffle. I had been painstakingly teaching myself keyboard on our Yamaha home organ, but with Brian May inspiring me I was happy to hit the strings.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? Once, for a weekend, in a "ladies rock camp"

Why do you play guitar? Because I like to make music, and it fits where/how I live. If I didn't have to spend time at work, I think I'd be trying to learn other instruments as well.

What are your goals for the future? To be able to play in front of other people and not have them be embarrassed for me. Also, when I develop some real competency on guitar, I might have a go at the bass.

Offline Shuttersparks

• Good Vibes 0
    • Shuttersparks
« Reply #3002 on: April 24, 2019, 09:06:56 am »
Hello Justin!

Wow. Nice work. Thank you for being there.

In addition to your musical talent, you appear to have a natural talent for teaching. You have a great teaching style. Most importantly, you have the crucial talent for presenting things in the right order, or in a very good order.

Learning guitar is not easy. Let's not fool ourselves. I saw a video of Mark Knopfler explaining and demonstrating how difficult it really is to learn guitar. If it was easy, everyone who plays air guitar would learn it, but they don't. I know lots of guys who tried to learn guitar and were put off, quickly gave up.

This means we all face a learning curve that is sometimes very steep. Your teaching style helps with this learning curve problem a lot. If you present things in the right order, you can keep the student's motivation level up, and you do this. I don't know whether or not you do it consciously or intuitively, but the effect is enormous, and I've benefited greatly from it.

In addition to learning guitar, I'm also learning some teaching techniques from you -- not for teaching guitar, but for teaching anything that's hard. (I play piano, pipe-organ, violin, sax, and am an electronics and software engineer.)

So, I thank you for all of that. I'm impressed. Donations will be forthcoming.

Best regards,
Phil

Offline grickyg

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3003 on: April 24, 2019, 09:42:31 pm »
Justin,

I have learned 7 songs from your site. I started donating after the first song. I started playing in November after a 20-year hiatus. I hated starting back up until I stumbled across your site. You really make learning songs easy and fun. The best was yesterday when I played Comfortably Numb for my wife and just blew her away.  Actually freaked me out a little too.

Now I am starting to dive into your theory and Blues course. I can't thank you enough for delivering one of the best Guitar learning websites on the internet.

Regards,
Rick

Offline Shuttersparks

• Good Vibes 0
    • Shuttersparks
« Reply #3004 on: April 30, 2019, 09:25:32 am »
Justin,

Wow. After several failed attempts over the years, your course is working like magic. I'm not certain whether it's you or whether my head's in the right place now, but I'm advancing like crazy by following your course from step one. Chords are just banging into place, quick and easy.

I'm also starting to fiddle around with improvisation, which is very exciting for me. I've discovered that Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs is a really easy thing to learn and is a nice, slow basis for playing around with blues riffs and all kinds of improvisation. And, I like it.

Now that this is happening, I'm wondering if my background in piano has been a hindrance in the past. The fretboard has always been a confusing nightmare, but isn't anymore. Starting your course, I decided to approach it as if I knew nothing about music. Forget the piano keyboard. And, it's working.

I'm happy beyond words to describe. Donation made. More to follow.

Thank you Justin!

Offline Jocelyne

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3005 on: May 01, 2019, 04:42:01 pm »
Just a short note saying thank you for sharing your time and energy to teach others through this website. I am taking lessons right now but I was missing something. By pure accident, I found this website and I am so, so, happy. Once I can get around this website easily and find everything that is offered, I will most definitely subscribe on a monthly (or a one time) fee. thanks again!

Offline tmd63

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3006 on: May 13, 2019, 10:07:57 am »
Hello Justin and Thank you.
I am just starting to learn the Bass and I came across your website and forum.
I love the way you have set out your courses although I would like to see the lessons for Bass clearer as I am only trying to learn that side (I may attempt the lead later is I can get time  :D).
I hope to try your lessons soon and learn quickly.
Best regards from an old rocker in the UK

Offline Stratopastor

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3007 on: May 15, 2019, 03:33:31 pm »
hi.. just a note to say how much I appreciate your lessons and that I recommend them to every youngster in my church who asks ME (me! really...?) for lessons.

Drop me a line with serial numbers if you'd like me to tell you when your Rivera-era amps were made! I run the website for the Princeton Reverb II.

Offline Sc77

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Many a slip and twist betwixt the cup and the lips
« Reply #3008 on: June 04, 2019, 07:23:50 pm »
Thank you so much for all the lessons Justin...

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline JerryBels

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3009 on: June 06, 2019, 09:05:54 am »
Hi!

When I was looking for a course to get me up on my journey, I searched online about many apps. Found several which rang a bell... But after some researches I found some text by you and really liked the way you put things together. So I decided to look at one of your vids and you immediately stood out as a great guy, that has some deep love for teaching and for music as well, so I immediately knew I wasn't needing to look anymore - found what I needed.

You come out as an incredible teacher, and I love each step on the way thanks to you.

Thank you so much!

Offline peteni001

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3010 on: June 12, 2019, 03:52:42 pm »
I just wanted to say a big thank you to Justin.  I'm 51 and picked up a guitar for the first time a few weeks before my fiftieth birthday.  This web-site and lessons have changed my life for the better.  Justin is a superb teacher and the lessons follow a wonderful logical path.  Thank you for my new hobby.

Offline Aldoa

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3011 on: June 14, 2019, 01:55:36 am »
Thank You Justin *Bow*

Offline Dusty

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3012 on: June 14, 2019, 04:56:53 am »
All I can say is Thank you Justin.   

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline anthony_g

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3013 on: June 18, 2019, 01:10:22 am »
Hi Justin,

I'll add my thanks to this thread. I've been following your beginner course for the past two weeks and have been really enjoying it so far. You have a great attitude, style and sense of humour. I appreciate that you don't think anything for granted – even teaching us how to tap our feet! :)

I haven't donated yet – though I have purchased books and picks from your shop site. Keep up the great work and thanks again.

Offline Ewan O

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3014 on: June 25, 2019, 09:25:12 pm »
Thank you for the lessons Justin! After I previously quit playing guitar, feeling that it wasn't something I wanted to do anymore, I eventually got to a point where I started becoming interested in revisiting the instrument and giving it another chance. I started from the beginner stage of your course and found the lessons to be well structured and fun to progress through.

I feel that I made a great choice returning to the guitar and selecting your course, because I've now been going through your lessons for a while and I have been really enjoying my time learning. I now have more of a desire than I had before to learn the guitar and reach an advanced level with it and I look forward to continuing your course and hopefully making it further with the guitar than I ever did before.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App