Author Topic: The Thank You Thread  (Read 290221 times)

Offline DangerGirl33

• Good Vibes 0
Re: The Thank You Thread
« Reply #2760 on: January 09, 2017, 02:52:09 am »
Hi forum (and Justin if you read this),

I just want to say thanks for such a supportive place.  I've only been playing ten days but still have used this forum for advice and support.

As for Justin, I am so appreciative of his videos and lessons and the fact he offers them for free is amazing.

Fifteen years ago, I picked up an acoustic guitar for the first time.  Never tried any official lessons, just fiddled around with it until I eventually got so frustrated I quit and gave the guitar away.  The guitar never felt comfortable for me and I thought my hands were too small and could never get the fretting right.

Fast forward to this past summer.  Coworkers and I are talking about guitar (I could not believe how many people at my job play) and I decide I want to try again, but this time with electric.  So, I ask Santa Claus for an electric guitar and amp.  Christmas morning, there are two presents the size of a guitar and amp...I was so stoked!  Then I opened them. The "amp" was actually a panini press (I'm not complaining) and the "electric guitar" was an acoustic.  *sigh* Not again.

Well, I make a deal with Santa and Santa says if I figure out how to play the acoustic, I can get an electric and amp.  So I go hunting on the internet for sites on how to play guitar.  I find Justin with all of his videos and lesson plans and oh my goodness can I maybe make this work?

Well friends, I am ten days in with sore fingertips and I have learned the A, D and E chords, am learning how to change between them and played the first twelve bars of "Three Little Birds" today.  It is exhilarating!

So thank you, forum and Justin, for making guitar a real possibility for me. I have ordered the two beginners song books and look forward to the day when my tips aren't sore and I can comfortably jam with my coworkers.

That electric and amp will be mine...oh yes it will!

Offline VerySlowHand

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2761 on: January 10, 2017, 05:08:18 pm »
I have been playing on and off since I was a kid (now 58 :-[) and I can't believe that I have managed to miss this site. After a few days trying out some of the lessons I have to say that I think it is amazing! I wish that I had a facility like this when I was younger. Justin is an excellent tutor and explains and demonstrates everything so well. As a former teacher (not music, lol) I know that it is one thing to be knowledgable and talented (which Justin obviously is), but another thing altogether to be able to instruct and teach as well as he does .I can see me getting a lot of pleasure and inspiration froom this site. Please keep it going!!

Offline mikeb2102

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2762 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:24 pm »
I've had guitars in the past, learned to play a few riffs and bits of songs, and got frustrated that I hadn't learned to play it properly. So in the end I sold my guitars.
My daughter is interested in learning piano, drums and guitar, so I created the music room in my spare loft bedroom and she's given me the urge to learn guitar properly this time. I haven't purchased my guitar yet, I get paid on Thursday so I'll be buying one then. Since last Friday I've been checking out the beginners course, checking forum posts for any tips and I've ordered the beginners course book and song book. This is a fantastic site. Thanks Justin for taking the time to teach people and for all the support I've seen already on here.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Knobelix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2763 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:20 pm »
Hi Justin,
I just want to say thank you for everything! And especially for the Springsteen song lessons you've done lately. I'm a huge Springsteen fan and I've been waiting for this lessons for a long time. I understood you don't like song requests, I respect that. But he's got tons of great stuff still waitin;-)
Thanks again for all your work and your passion. You always motivate me! That's great!
Yours,
Kerstin from Germany

Offline 45years

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2764 on: January 17, 2017, 02:33:49 pm »
[  Thanks for letting me join, and a big thank you to Justin for producing a quality learning system helping me to learn the guitar.  When I first had a guitar in 1971, a 20+ year old electric Hofner Club 50,  there was nothing like the free resources of the internet to help you to learn like there is today.  I did the only thing as many did of buying an old teach yourself book and listened over and over again to records.  However living with my parents at that time was a nightmare - so anti guitar under any circumstances...never knew why...that when it finally broke in late '72 (neck finally snapped off) I was actively encouraged not to get another.  Then life played many cruel tricks as I travelled its rocky road with my wife that any thoughts of learning.....well it was a pipe dream.  So now retired aged 60, decided I'm gonna do it....and have just finished Justin's Beginners book. Excellent way to learn, in a calm logical informative way that sticks even in my old brain!   Thanks again Justin - good luck to you and the family - been there..................!!           
[]

Offline mikeb2102

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2765 on: January 21, 2017, 03:29:41 pm »
I feel I owe Justin a massive thank you. I ordered the beginners course and strumming techniques DVDs on Friday. I opted for standard delivery and they were here by Saturday morning. The service I received was fantastic. So thanks Justin and your team!

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline bo-jingle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2766 on: January 21, 2017, 08:58:16 pm »
I'd like to add my thanks and a solid, rocking bo-jangly thumbs up for this website, the forum and getting to learn stuff.

My thanks go to Justin and those making the forum a vibrant entity
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:04:27 pm by bo-jingle »
Keep on jangling!

Offline Mighi Tarra

• Good Vibes 1
  • Never too old to start ... but feeling clumsy!
« Reply #2767 on: January 23, 2017, 03:22:40 am »
Thanks soooooo much, Justin, you started all this.

Thanks to all of you people from the team that help it to be so clear, relaxed, positive and instructive.

Thanks to all the fellow followers that are so helpful and nice.

I feel utterly thankful to all of you. My most sincere compliments.       Keep it rolling!! ;D
Tanglewood TW28 CSN, Squier Affinity Strat HSS, Fender Champion 20, Epiphone Les Paul Express ... so far.

Offline longtontom

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2768 on: January 24, 2017, 01:29:29 pm »
Just wanted to leave a note to say thank you to Justin for putting together the site. Its an astounding resource!

At the age of 31 I picked up a guitar for the first time since I was 12 about three months ago. I was feeling pretty down at the time, so the motivation to learn was to concentrate on something positive. Learning guitar has made a real difference to my health, in no small part because the beginners course really does help complete novices (like me) make progress pretty quickly.

The beginners song book is also a great reference when used alongside the videos. Highly recommend it for any other new-starters.

I can't believe how lucky I've been to stumble on the site, thank you sir  :D

Offline mpa61

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2769 on: January 26, 2017, 07:16:28 pm »
Thanks a lot for such a wonderful site. Big, big, big place to learn

Offline scottm

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2770 on: January 27, 2017, 11:16:18 pm »
G'day, Justin and everyone else.

I have never played guitar before, but I did play quite a bit of piano, though that was 30 years ago.  I'm 56, and I just decided one day to take the plunge.  Bought an inexpensive Squier by Fender Strat and a Peavey Vypyr VIP-1 modeling amp.  I also have a Yamaha beginners acoustic, which is what I actually learn on, then I transfer that to the electric.  The acoustic is harder to play, so I figured I'd learn there and then just play away on the electric.  I've also fooled around with an ancient (50 yrs old) nylon string  3/4 classical guitar which I rebuilt.  Changed out all the ancient tuners, strings, bridge, nut, etc.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I found Justin on YouTube.  I was hooked.  Couple of weeks later, I was playing nearly all the beginner songs.  Now I'm on to most of the intermediates.  I am having a blast.  I have a basis in music theory due to my ancient piano experience, but I have a lot to relearn.  I have not yet mastered major or pentatonic or other scales, but I do have an understanding of them.

This is more than just a hobby for me.  This is therapeutic and cathartic for me.   Justin makes it seem easy, and his lessons are outstanding, and his humor (see cowbells) makes things more fun.  I have tried some others for some song lessons, and while a few have some isolated good stuff, I ALWAYS return to justinguitar.com.

Thank you so much for putting so much of your time and effort into freebies.  I intend to donate in the future (I need a new contract...between working gigs).

Best wishes, Justin, and again....thank you VERY much.

Scottm

Offline Frank J

• Good Vibes 0
    • Harmony Within The Family
« Reply #2771 on: January 30, 2017, 01:18:13 am »
Thank you Justin for all that you're doing  for all of us. I hope that I am posting at the right place. My name is Frank and I took a few lessons on guitar when I was age 18 but gave it up after a short try. That's been a long time ago because my age now is 85 and I'll be 86 in one month. I'm going to give it a try but will stick with it this time as I really love the sound of a guitar and would love to learn. They say that you are never too old. Well--I guess I'll find out but I'm going to give it a real trial and not give up. Frank
No one stands so tall as when they stoop to help a child.
~anon

Offline 2kless

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2772 on: February 03, 2017, 03:05:38 pm »
Wow, a thank you thread almost 10 years long?  Maybe some kind of record.  Well, I am not going to kill that streak.  Thanks Justin for all of the great videos, lessons and encouragement.  Keep it going.   Might be a great idea to really confuse us and bring back your old wardrobe from the last decade so the new members can't figure out what the hell is going on.   Anyway, keep the lessons coming, they are all great.  Oh, and thanks for the anti-spam puzzles. Those are fun too.

Offline Mxlpik

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2773 on: February 05, 2017, 05:35:09 am »
A soccer friend recommended the site to me. I had no idea something like this was out there. I've since recommended it to three other people. Such a wealth of information on the site and in the videos. This is an incredible way to learn. I feel like I might finally make some progress. Thank you Justin.

Offline Unsui

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2774 on: February 05, 2017, 09:22:43 pm »
A big 'thank you' to Justin and his admins for this wonderful learning opportunity.
I discovered his books on christmas and the forum this week - and I am a fan ever since.  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App