Author Topic: The Thank You Thread  (Read 541281 times)

Offline 53skittle

• Good Vibes 0
Re: The Thank You Thread
« Reply #2800 on: March 30, 2017, 02:44:23 am »
Not sure I'm doing this right. (I am also one of the ancient ones!).  Justin, just wanted to thank you for an incredible learning experience.  I am retired US Navy and now disabled so the fixed income thing makes it hard to pay for guitar lessons.  But your site fixed all that! 

You are an incredible teacher with loads of patience and understanding.

I made a $30.00 contribution.  Wish it could be more but my situation won't allow that.

God bless you and please... keep up the great work!!!   Larry

Offline Valeria

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2801 on: March 30, 2017, 09:38:03 pm »
Hey Justin,
that's a thank you thread so, THANK YOU!
Since I was a little girl I wanted to grab a guitar and just play, but it seemed so an unachievable thing to do, I didn't know anything about guitar or music, I didn't know where to start.
Last year searching covers on youtube I found video-lessons about how to play the guitar on my native language, but I just didn't get what they said, too complicated :o so I started searching for other lessons in English, I found one of yours and I just started to think that I could do it too, I could learn it, 'cause you start from that easy basics giving the foundations, you get how is it to be a beginner, and even if English is not my native language I can understand you, you're a really great teacher and you're funny too, that's a thing that really helps 'cause you're not boring at all, you are a teacher that makes the difference  8).
Wish you all the best! Thank you again!
"The closest thing to heaven is to rock & roll." - Cit. Aztec Camera

Offline patrick57

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2802 on: April 03, 2017, 08:40:04 pm »
Thanks from Belgium. Patrick

Sent from my SM-P600 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline BeachBill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Wannabe Guitar Picker
    • Wannabe Guitar Picker Magazine
« Reply #2803 on: April 04, 2017, 01:15:25 am »
Wow. I've just got to say Thank You.

Thank you for inspiring me to keep at this long enough to actually learn a couple of songs. Once I got the first one down so that I could play and sing along (to myself) it built my confidence. Now I am actually having FUN - a lot of fun and am advancing. And I would like to than you again for helping me reach that level. You have developed a fan for life.
If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

Offline awooly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2804 on: April 04, 2017, 01:49:06 am »
Thanks Justin, awesome site and program you have set up here.

I first picked up a Guitar 7 weeks ago and am just starting to look at Stage 2 now.

As I'm loving the journey and will be continuing to use your Site, I have set up a monthly donation for you to assist in a small way.  I've also purchased your Beginner's Song Book which is awesome.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers from Australia.

Offline Guitpicky

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2805 on: April 04, 2017, 06:18:41 am »
Thank you :)

I just found your site today after a week of YouTube'g and checking out the competition. I like your approach and attitude as a teacher. When I read that only half a percent of your visitors make donations I did what I could to help correct that.

You've already thanked everyone here by providing a wealth of high quality instruction and inspiration.

Thanks again  :)
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2016T Limited Edition Mahogany Top
Takamine TSF40C Santa Fe
Takamine EF75M-TT
"Do what you must but dream what you want"

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 382
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2806 on: April 05, 2017, 06:32:32 am »
Justin,

Just received my copies of the BSB v1 & 2 ... took ages to get all the way down south to Johannesburg.

Must say again, they are fabulous.

Thank you

David

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #2807 on: April 07, 2017, 06:04:41 pm »
Justin, I just want to say thank you, and tell you that you're the best teacher of any subject I ever had. If I had had teachers like you in high school, I could be ruling the world by now. 😊

I found your website in 2013, about a year after I had gone through radiation treatment for breast cancer. I was fatigued and depressed. My hair was falling out. I needed something to focus on. My boyfriend had a guitar that he didn't really know how to play, and I found your website and picked it up.

You are so positive and clear. I made it through the beginners course pretty quickly. My hair grew. I practiced every day. I got my own guitar. I taught my boyfriend what you taught me. Together we moved on. Learning guitar together was the best thing for our relationship. We had been together for many years, but it wasn't until we started playing together that we really understood each other. It really made our bond so much stronger.

So now it's four years later, and we're writing our own songs, and recording an lp. We're just doing it for ourselves, as a gift to each other for this amazing journey we've been on.

Thank you so much. I can't even tell you how important your lessons have been to me.

Lynn

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline Jean-Paul Dupuis

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2808 on: April 11, 2017, 03:57:29 am »
Justin:  I just wanted to thank you for your lessons and even teaching how to tackle the songs in your beginner song books which are by the way terrific they will keep me busy for a long time. I prematurely bought the intermediate lesson so that I would continue to practice and push myself forward. Again I want to thank you cause I was stuck on the same strumming pattern and I and it didn't sound very good. now things are looking up.
JP   

Offline dave8

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2809 on: April 13, 2017, 09:57:55 pm »
Justin, your work is brilliant, and I want to say thank you for what you're giving to the world. But even moreso, I'm always amazed at how relaxed and positive you are - the atmosphere you create is wonderful, and watching and learning from a video of yours always brightens my day.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline naynay

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2810 on: April 14, 2017, 06:11:04 am »
Just to add to all the thank you Justin's!
I live in rural Australia and couldnt find a teacher for a long time. Your site and books were the answer- they are so easy to use and great quality.
I now have a guitar teacher but still use your site nearly every day. My teacher is now familiar with your site and bought a number of your books to use with his other students.

So thank you! You've done the guitar world a great service.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Bob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2811 on: April 26, 2017, 09:06:20 pm »
After what must be 3 years doing Justin's courses I thought it was about time I said hello.
I've been playing guitar for about 30 years, teaching myself by ways of YouTube, joining different courses and getting tips and lessons from countless amounts of people. Nowadays I just sit in my small room with my laptop and recording gear and learn by Justin's lessons. I've bought a lot of his books along the way and watched the videos accompanying them to learn lots of songs.
I managed to do the beginners course pretty well and finished the consolidation. I can now proudly say I've just finished the intermediate course, must admit I missed the song book, but I have trouble with transcribing songs. Big question is where do I go next as I listen to nearly all types of music, rock and blues are mainly my favourites but I'm no speed metal fanatic when it comes to playing.
I'd like to say I'm a dedicated guitarist and am glad I've found the right road to finally enjoy something I've had much frustration and joy from doing for a good chunk of my life.
I've just turned 50 so hope I haven't left this introduction too late
Anyway enough gassing
Hello everyone and thanks Justin for relighting what was a dream of mine, to play by ear.

Thank you all for reading.
Bob

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2812 on: April 26, 2017, 10:53:52 pm »
Hi Bob
Welcome to the forum
Hang out
Join in
Make yourself at home

:)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:02:50 am by close2u »

Offline naynay

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2813 on: April 26, 2017, 11:10:48 pm »
Hi Bob!

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #2814 on: April 27, 2017, 01:06:08 am »
Hey Bob!

You picked a great forum to hang around. Lots of great folks here. Enjoy your time here which I hope is a long time.  ;D
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.
« Reply #2815 on: April 27, 2017, 12:39:14 pm »
Hey Bob,

welcome to the forum!

Hope you have fun here... XD
We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so

Offline Bob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2816 on: April 27, 2017, 05:11:04 pm »
Anyone any suggestions as where I should go next.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #2817 on: April 27, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »
Hi Bob!  You are light years beyond my abilities at this point, but I am willing to make a couple suggestions.  How about working on improvised riffs or trying to match the sounds of David Gilmour (ok, as you can see from my signature line I think his music is awesome).  Aside from my obvious bias, I find his sounds to be more of a song within a song.  Or how about learning to play guitar while playing a harmonica like Neal Young.  Or why not step out of your comfort zone and try some classical stuff.  Best wishes and welcome to the forums!
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline Bob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2818 on: April 27, 2017, 06:11:01 pm »
Thanks bigb15. Looking at where on the course next but I must admit David Gilmour is definitely one of my guitar gods.

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 208
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2819 on: April 27, 2017, 06:23:44 pm »
Bob

Hi and good to see you here on the forum. As a way forward after the BC and IM I'd suggest the Master The Major Scale dvd/course and the Blues Rhythm and Lead courses. These would certainly tie in with genres you mentioned, as the blues underpins everything. I finished the IM about a year ago and have been struggling to focus on specifics but I'm working through MTMS and Blues Rhythm very slowly but I'm also still consolidating the IM techniques. I guess I'm still working through some of the elements in IM-160.

Most importantly I've learnt and played lots of new songs over the last year and to me that's the most important thing, applying what you've learned and songs are the only way to do that.

After an up and down 12 months, I'm just getting backing into a more structured practice schedule, which will hopefully see me finish my 2 current courses and move onto the Blues Lead, which Justin has just updated. After that I'll review where I'm going again. Wash Rinse repeat as is often said round these parts.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2820 on: April 27, 2017, 08:13:52 pm »
I'm about where you are.  My plans moving forward include studying these on Justin's site (which you can follow or not, up to you):

1) ear training and transcribing courses, study the scales & modes section, and complete the chord construction guide book, which I'm halfway through.  It is presents the CAGED system comprehensively.

2) blues rhythm, blues lead 1 & 2, rock and funk courses.

3) go through the masterclasses that seem interesting

4) become so proficient Eric Clapton adds me to his list of guitar players he invites to his Crossroads concerts ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:01:55 am by close2u »
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline Schmidtrock

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Learning Never Stops! Train Your Brain!
« Reply #2821 on: April 28, 2017, 04:25:59 pm »
Hiya Bob!  8)
- Kevin

'Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today' ~ James Dean

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #2822 on: April 28, 2017, 06:20:27 pm »
Hi there Bob. Welcome to the forum.

You ask where to go? My suggestion would be to find some people to play with.
Doing that will help you in locating your shortcomings and inspire you to learn new stuff.
Worked for me
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Bob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2823 on: April 28, 2017, 07:13:48 pm »
Thanks Joerfe.
My problem is a mixture of lack of confidence and no close people who play. It's been mentioned many times that playing with others is a great morale booster but I think having played on my own has been a bad influence on my ability to mix. Thought I'd consolidate intermediate again to check my bearings.
Good idea?

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #2824 on: April 28, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »
Welcome Bob!

You probably already know this because you've been following Justin's website for quite some time now but I will say it again, this community is one of the greatest online communities (I assume that it would be also really nice to hang out with all of those great musicians who are also really kind people) I've ever been part of. So good for you, you joined us ;)!

As people previously mentioned, try finding people to jam with and you will learn so much from playing with others. You'll get a new perspective of playing an instrument (my own problem is exactly the opposite, I cannot play on my own because I never played acoustic&vocal, I always play in bands/orchestra/jazz trio/anything that's not guitar&vocal only) and you will have a lot of fun and probably make some new friends too :)!

As an addition to your practice routine, I would definitely add transcribing. It doesn't matter how good or "bad" you are. You definitely get better over time. And what is the most important, the guitar neck becomes an extension of your musical brain. I noticed this many times at Justin's playing (and now this even happened at my playing on a few occasions) when he is doing the transcribing and just hits the right note straight away. This is what you get with transcribing. So definitely add some of this to your routine.

And learn new songs in the style of music you like and the style you don't usually listen to (this is how you will develop your own style).

Once again, welcome to the forum and good luck with your future guitar journey!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App