Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 224306 times)

Offline BeachBill

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1425 on: April 04, 2017, 01:10:11 am »

Nickname: BeachBill - but my favorite young lady of all time calls me Granddaddy Bill
Real (full) name: Bill
Age and birthday: Getting up there - waaayyyy up there.
Habitat: Delaware, USA (at the beach, hence the nickname)

Which guitar(s) do you own?I bought a new Yamaha (FG-430) in 1991 - took a few lessons - then life got in the way and it was in storage for over 25 years. I got it out about a year ago. I also have an Iabenez, a Baby Taylor and just picked up a Martin (x-series).

Which guitar do you currently play on?The Yamaha, Ibanez, Baby Taylor and Martin

Which amp(s) do you own? Fender Passport Mini - a wonderful practice or living room amp.

How long have you been playing guitar?Seriously about a year.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?Oldies - classic vinyl you might say, the music that helped me grow up.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Oldies (CCR, Bob Seger, Simon and Garfunkle, Gordon Lightfoot, Jimmy Buffet but NOT Margaritaville)

Who are your favorite bands? See above...

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I have ALWAYS liked music - played clarinet in Jr. and Sr High School.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No

Why do you play guitar? I love music and I am having a lot of fun now that I am learning to play songs.

What are your goals for the future? To become proficient that I can sit in with a group form time to time and play a couple of songs - without embarrassing them or me.

Offline Guitpicky

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1426 on: April 04, 2017, 05:57:40 am »

Nickname: Guitpicky
Real (full) name: John Peni El
Age and birthday: Another over 50
Habitat: Midwest USA

Which guitar(s) do you own? Takamine Santa Fe

Which guitar do you currently play on? Takamine Santa Fe

Which amp(s) do you own? Orange Rocker 15

How long have you been playing guitar? About a week

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock, Reggae, Blues, Jazz, Folk, Motown, Int'l/World, Classical and some that just don't fit any genre. Honestly, I listen to more different kinds of music than anyone else I know.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Too early to say.

Who are your favorite bands? I like so many it's hard to pin down. I'm with Duke Ellington "There are 2 kinds of music, the good kind and all the other stuff". I love good craftsmanship, if you want me to put something into listening to it, put something into making it.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? The same thing that inspires everything else in me... my own subconscious mind.

Why do you play guitar? I want to learn more about how music works and I figure this will be a fun way to do it. I learn best when I can put theory into application. I also want to better connect my two brain hemispheres and I believe learning to play guitar will help me do that. One side is autistic and contains the child within, the other side acts normal to protect the child within.

What are your goals for the future? Ultimately, I want to be able to play my own chakra system which is very much like playing a guitar with the Heart "playing" the other 6 chakras. This is done through what we call the Zodiac. It'd be a lot easier to explain if I knew music theory. As far as actually playing a guitar, I welcome the challenge and I really want to see just how far I can take it and have fun getting there:)

Offline redrhodie

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1427 on: April 07, 2017, 12:28:17 pm »
So four years to start giging. I,lol only be 64 !

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum
No, most people with regular practice would be able to gig before then! I'm just a big chicken. I'm having some stage fright.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline marije13

• Good Vibes 0
Introduce yourself
« Reply #1428 on: April 07, 2017, 05:50:00 pm »
Nickname: Marjie, Marige, Mary-Jay... or any other creative spelling and pronunciation of my name by people unfamiliar with the Dutch 'ij' sound!
Real (full) name: Marije
Age and birthday: 39, January 13
Habitat: Prince Edward Island, Canada

Which guitar(s) do you own?
- Squier Bullet Strat, black and white
- Schecter Blackjack SLS Avenger FR S in aquaburst. Fell in love with it at first sight so I bought it. It's mostly functioning as an art piece right now because it's way too much guitar for me to handle yet, but one day...

Which guitar do you currently play on?
The Squier mostly.

Which amp(s) do you own?
I play through an iRig HD connected to my laptop.

How long have you been playing guitar?
About three months, then a break for a year, and just recently started again about a month ago.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?
My playlist is all over the place, but rock and metal are probably my current favourites. Not a fan of hip hop or R&B.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often?
Anything from Justin's beginner course :) Besides that, to give myself a challenge, I am learning the intro to Buried Alive by Avenged Sevenfold.

Who are your favorite bands?
So many... Avenged Sevenfold, Marianas Trench, Baroness, Flying Colors, Coheed and Cambria, Dire Straits, Muse, Volbeat, Tori Amos, Placebo, Hell or Highwater, Radiohead, The Once, Everly Brothers,...

What inspired you to start playing guitar?
A video of a masterclass given by Brian Haner Jr (a.k.a. Synyster Gates form Avenged Sevenfold). He talked about things like scales and picking and his influences and I became very intrigued with the complexity of the instrument. I also love how music theory combines art and maths.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band?
No, and that's not my ambition.

Why do you play guitar?
Because it's relaxing and challenging at the same time.

What are your goals for the future?
To learn how to tune and change strings on a Floyd Rose, so I'm less nervous to play my beautiful Schecter!

Offline CT

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1429 on: April 08, 2017, 08:55:36 pm »
Greetings from Lake Balboa, CA!
My name is Clint, no nicknames to my knowledge. :)
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm not much for filling out forms and such, would rather just chat a bit, hope that's OK. I took a night class back in the '80s and played pretty vigorously for six straight years, took my "Guit-fiddle" with me everywhere, and then just basically dropped off completely. Busy schedules, etc. It's one of those things that kind of got away from me. In that time I was able to write some original music, most notably a love song for my wife and a hopeful song for my oldest daughter before she was born.

So, fast forward to recently reconnecting with an old friend who dared me to play again at a party. We stumbled onto easy Justin songs, especially "What's Up?", and it turns out that both my daughters are excellent singers. Let's just say I'm back now, building callus and hooked on the Justin lessons. It didn't take long to realize that my chording was sloppy and I have absolutely no rhythm, and I'm absolutely loving the journey back. I must've had enough skill at some point to have a friend from that timeframe request that I play again. At any rate, I'm starting from scratch and coming up to speed real quick. Loving the materials and will continue to support the site and Justin's efforts.

I'm playing mostly on an '80s Ovation Black Balladeer, called "Blackie", super original, not! I also thump around on an old Yamaha classical with a neck like a 2x4, which gives my fingers a bit of a break. To make a short story longer, I'm on the hunt for a semi-hollow body electric now. They have a tone and feel that is drawing me in. With authorization from my better half, I'll be bringing one home soon. Lots of testing to do!

Happy strumming to all!

Clint... 

Offline Jean-Paul Dupuis

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1430 on: April 11, 2017, 03:30:38 am »
Harpmaker and I found it a good idea to make a topic where you can introduce yourself so we all know who we're talking to! :D

So I made a simple questionlist for everyone to answer if they like to! :D

So here it is (with my answers):

Nickname: JP
Real (full) name: Jean-Paul Dupuis
Age and birthday: 65
Habitat: Canada

a 12 string Aria converted to 6 string
a behringer electric guitar that I just bought on Kijiji for practice.

Mostly the acoustic

Which amp(s) do you own?
Kustom KGA10

For how long have you been playing guitar?
since about 1985

I like light rock, folk, children songs and Hillsongs christian music

Songs and music that my grandchildren like to listen to.

I don't have I like all kinds of music as long as I can understand the words.

I see my son in law playing at church and I'd like to have more rhythm or strumming patterns. 

No.

Why do you play guitar?
Because it's fun and keeps my mind busy learning something new.

Just to be able to play well around the fire, for my grandchildren and maybe sing some love songs to my wife.

Offline MetallicAnut

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1431 on: April 12, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
Nickname: Jonesy
Real (full) name:N/A
Age and birthday: 32 3/10/85
Habitat: Boston, MA, USA

ESP LTD EC1000
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender Custom HH Telecaster
Jackson RR24 (Floyd Rose)
Epiphone Les Paul 100 (first guitar, I don't play it anymore)
Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat acoustic
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany acoustic

ALL...yes, ALL. With the exception of my first guitar I bought.

Which amp(s) do you own?
Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 head
Orange Crush 35rt 1x12 combo
Mesa Boogie vertical slanted 2x12 cabinet

Exactly 1 year and 8 months.

Metal, Modern Rock, Classic Rock, Pop, Punk, Oldies, Folk.
Metal, classic rock, blues, pop, punk, folk, modern rock.

MetallicA!!! Way too many to list here, but other than 'tallica I'm a huge fan of Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Green Day, Simon and Garfunkel, Creedence Clearwater, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, The Beatles, and literally HUNDREDS more.....

Being bored with what I was doing in life, so I wanted to find a hobby. I wanted to do something that wasn't considered easy, and a guitar came into my mind! I figured I could just pick it up whenever I felt like it and see what happens. Little did I know it became the greatest decision of my life! I play every day, and if there is a day I can't play it is torture.

No, but I'm leaving that door open most definitely!
Why do you play guitar?
James Hetfield. Also the guitar brings me to an altered reality that which makes my day blissful. Blissful....That would be the perfect word to describe why I play.
Just to keep improving consistently.  BE ABLE TO PERFORM IN FRONT OF PEOPLE like 10+ people, as many as humanly possible.

I also would like to add that I'm born and raised in the area of Boston, MA USA.

Offline NatashaCole

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1432 on: April 12, 2017, 11:46:22 pm »
Nickname: Nat
Real (full) name: Natasha Cole Leavitt
Age and birthday: 34. March 29th.
Habitat: Rural Nevada

Which guitar(s) do you own? Fender FA-100 Dreadnought Acoustic, just a cheap guitar because I've never played before and I am learning.

Which guitar do you currently play on? Same as above.

Which amp(s) do you own? none

How long have you been playing guitar? like, a week.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? I enjoy country, rock, some pop... a bit of everything really.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Nothing yet.

Who are your favorite bands? I really dig Louden Swain right now and The Station Breaks. I mostly listen to all kinds of country.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I'm a full-time student and teacher. I decided not to take classes over the summer and just teach myself something new. I've always wanted to learn guitar.

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? No.

Why do you play guitar? I just practice right now, but I really enjoy it. I get excited when I get a bit faster and better each time. So far, I've only gotten the A, D, and E chords down and I can alternate between them faster each day.

What are your goals for the future? I really just want to be able to play the guitar well and learn some songs. I decided that if I can get pretty decent by the end of the summer, then I will buy myself a guitar that I really want.

Offline Fan of Zappa

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1433 on: April 16, 2017, 09:31:13 pm »
Billy, the Mountain, and I thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline melee79

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1434 on: April 19, 2017, 09:27:31 pm »
Hey everyone. Just thought I'd say a quick hello. I've been following Justin for a while now, long before I bought my guitar.

Real (full) name: Lee Machin
Age and birthday: 38
Habitat: Yorkshire, UK.

Which guitar(s) do you own? Just a bog standard beginner pack from Epiphone.

How long have you been playing guitar? Since February (and once before way back in 1995, for a little while).

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?  Mainly rock.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Rock.

What are your goals for the future? To be able to play a few of my favourite songs.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:11:33 pm by melee79 »

Offline WildWayz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1435 on: April 22, 2017, 11:22:13 am »
Nickname: WildWayz
Real (full) name: James
Age and birthday: 38
Habitat: Under a stone

Which guitar(s) do you own? Yamaha Pacifica 311H

Which guitar do you currently play on? Above

Which amp(s) do you own? Peavey ValveKing II 50w

How long have you been playing guitar? Noodling for 15 but only really last 6 months

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Rock

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? Rock

Who are your favorite bands? Satriani, Vai, Dream Theater, Skid Row etc

What inspired you to start playing guitar? Joe Satriani - Extremist album

Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? When I was a kid

Why do you play guitar? Just love it

What are your goals for the future? To be ok

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline shane

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1436 on: April 24, 2017, 12:45:10 am »
Age and birthday: 31
Habitat: Lexington, SC

Which guitar(s) do you own? Cheap 'Kansas' dreadnought. I've been really surprised by this thing.

Which guitar do you currently play on? Kansas acoustic with medium strings.

Which amp(s) do you own? none yet

How long have you been playing guitar? around 15 years, off and on. More like 5-8 considering down time.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? a bit little of everything, with a bias towards classical/blues/rock/punk/metal.

Which genre do you play on your guitar often? a little bit of everything

Who are your favorite bands? Too many to list. I'll throw a few out in no particular order, just what happens to pop in my head. Pantera, Nirvana, Godsmack, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, BB King, Mississippi John Hurt, Willie, Cash, Waylon, Kristofferson, Hank 3, Tommy Emmanuel, Melvins, Zakk Wylde, Beethoven, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Trevor Hall, Nahko Bear, Rodrigo y Gabriella, Ana Vidovic, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Justin of course, and so on and so forth.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? If I'm to be honest lol Garth Brooks. As a kid I was a huge fan, so he was my introduction to wanting to play guitar.
Do you play in a band or have you been playing in a band? no

Why do you play guitar? because I love it

What are your goals for the future? make music a career. Teaching, amateur gigs, and some luthier work are among the plans.

Huge shout out to Justin. Thanks man!

Offline martinmarkvoll

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1437 on: April 24, 2017, 01:07:18 pm »
Hi,

I'm quite new to this forum, but I've been following Justin for some years now. Great site and great lessons!

Nickname: martinmarkvoll
Real (full) name: Martin Markvoll
Age and birthday: 40, January 28th 1977
Habitat: Iceland

Fenders, Squiers, Ibanez, Warwick bass and Gretsch banjo

Fender/Warmoth Stratocaster

Which amp(s) do you own?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Roland Blues Cube

26 years

Pop/rock/blues

Pop

John Mayer

AC/DC

Cover band called Tónlistarfélagið Meðlæti

Why do you play guitar?
Because it's fun and meaningful

Be a better musician and a better person

Offline Linda

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1438 on: April 26, 2017, 06:35:41 am »
Nickname: None
Real (full) name: Linda
Age and birthday: 34
Habitat: Australia

Which guitar(s) do you own? Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic) and Epiphone LP Studio (Electric)

Which guitar do you currently play on? The electric - it's quieter thus easier on the neighbours!

Which amp(s) do you own? None, though I bought a few amp sim apps to play around with (one day!)

How long have you been playing guitar? Today would be day 3 - absolute stage 1 beginner (and have the sore fingers to prove it).

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)? Pretty eclectic- probably anything but Metal. 

Who are your favorite bands/artists? Too many to list, but a few: Pearl Jam, P!nk, Green Day, Cold Chisel, John Butler, Everclear, Live, Chili Peppers, Dire Straits, The Script, Ben Folds Five, Bob Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton etc etc etc.

What inspired you to start playing guitar? I've always wanted to be able to play but since I've never played a musical instrument, I've never been game to try. Figured it's time to start!

Why do you play guitar? What are your goals for the future? It sounds really vague, but I really just want to get to a stage where I can express myself with the guitar- play the things that make me feel something.

Offline nishad.tupe

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #1439 on: April 27, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »
Nickname: None
Real (full) name: Nishad
Age and birthday: 35
Habitat: India,Presently in USA.

Which guitar(s) do you own? Yamaha AC1R acoustic

Which guitar do you currently play on? Acoustic Yamaha AC1R

Which amp(s) do you own? None, Planning to purchase the Acoustic Amp or may be electric guitar bundle.

How long have you been playing guitar? More than  6 years ON and OFF but have picked up again, stuck in my technique with limited skills and some poor habits.

Which is/are your favorite music genre(s)?  I have recently developed interest in Western style of Music like Blues,Pop , Country , Classical. Also like Hindu Raagas, Bollywood style Pop and melody songs.

Who are your favorite bands/artists? Too many to list, but a few: Eric Clapton , BB King , Eagles , Marissa Nadler , Taylor Swift , Ed Sheeran , A R Rehman , Shankar Mahadevan

What inspired you to start playing guitar?  Initially may be impressing girls :) till i realize it means something lot more than that to me. Also the great artists .. 

Why do you play guitar? What are your goals for the future?  Inner Peace , Please myself , Learn new things and someday perform and express.

With this I would also like to say Big Thanks to Justin , your site is amazing but whats more amazing is your teaching style .. it is so pleasant . I tried couple of other paid teachers but did not work. I like the way you point out techniques , common mistakes it really helps. Thanks a lot for your work .. I am sure this it is in process of making Millions of great guitarist around the world.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App