Author Topic: How is the app different to the website, and should I buy it?  (Read 644 times)

Offline Danni515

• Good Vibes 0
Hey guys,
I have just finished the 7 day trial of the app, and am wondering how it is different from the website. Also, do you recommend I buy the app, and if so why? Thansk!

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: How is the app different to the website, and should I buy it?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 01:46:21 pm »
Hey guys,
I have just finished the 7 day trial of the app, and am wondering how it is different from the website. Also, do you recommend I buy the app, and if so why? Thansk!

I use the website and book for lessons and the app just for song practice. Each to their own though, there’s no right or wrong way  :)

Offline Danni515

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 02:58:25 pm »
Hey guys,
Thanks Greg for you feedback. I hope I'm doing this reply correctly; I kinda have no idea how to use a chat board! Do you buy the books from the website? I only see T-shirts when I go to the shop?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 03:02:56 pm »
So the website has two courses for new players. The Classic beginner course with nine stages and the New Beginners Course which is a rewrite with updated videos of the Classic Beginners course. As I understand it the App use's the lessons from the one or both of these courses with the addition of the song part.

I don't believe the App covers the full course at the moment so at some point you'll need to switch across to the website possibly to complete. Beyond the beginners course there is then the intermediate and then more advanced modules on things like Fingerpicking, Blues etc.

People seem to like the app for the song practice part. The website has a ton of song lessons recorded by Justin many of which link to one of his various song books that were originally available (still available in limited supply in various online stores). You can search these songs based on what level you're at, chords, artist etc.

The website course is provided completely free by Justin. The books you could purchase online From Justin's website however the book store has recently shut. You may be able to pick up some of them elsewhere on the web. They only duplicate what is on the online lessons generally although some of the printed courses do come with additional material.

@Close we should probably have a sticky somewhere on the FAQ that explains all of this.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Danni515

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 03:29:36 pm »
Thanks so much for all of that info. I'm thinking I'll but the app, as I do like the song practice on it!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 543
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 06:23:53 am »

@Close we should probably have a sticky somewhere on the FAQ that explains all of this.

Seems a reasonable idea.
I do not have any of the apps. My iphone is an old 8Gb model with space enough for one or two simple apps, 7 photos and that is about it. So I actually have no familiarity with the apps at all besides what I have seen on the video screen when Justin does a playalong lesson.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 09:51:04 am »
There are actually a number of threads on this and similar issues on the forum and I think it is something that should be addressed. Does Justin need a better description of the learning system on the Justin website?

I have been learning with Justin for coming up for two and a half years using the old system. I am obviously no guitar expert in terms of playing or teaching but there is an increasing number of posts on the forum about old course vs. new course, song app vs. song book, web content vs. app content, Nitsuj lessons, etc etc.

I’m not a guitar expert but I feel Justin may be putting people off learning using his lessons as the learning route is no longer quite as straight forward as perhaps it once was.
Justin’s BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline bobuva

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 12:25:14 am »
I'm in my second week of learning guitar with Justin. I started the first few days using just the website, specifically the new 2020 course material. A couple of days ago I downloaded and started using the app on my iPhone.

I was initially confused that there appeared to be a list of videos in the app that mirrored what I used on the website, but did not account for my progress made on the website. I really enjoy using the website to watch the videos primarily because I have a large monitor I can use to view them. I then use the app just for song practice.

Since the Practice Assistant appears to just be on the website, my routine is this:

1. Watch lessons on computer.
2. Create a Routine in the Practice Assistant that contains all of the Lesson Practice Schedule (I'm still on Lesson 1, and Justin has provided a nice writeup in the web site for what the practice items should be: look for the Lesson 1 Practice Schedule video.
3. Go through the routine each day, using the website to time it (there's a countdown timer within each practice item). On the Song practice item, I switch over to the iPhone app to play along with a couple of songs (currently using Give Peace a Chance and Feelin' Alright, two songs I relate to from my younger days).

I'm planning on keeping and paying for the iPhone app -- and will be providing feedback after getting more acclimated.

BTW, I agree with sairfingers that Justin should make it a little clearer how to proceed. I've been a software engineer, and learned how to "make do" with software and lessons which are moving targets. But not everyone would feel as comfortable as me.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App