Author Topic: Spanish Guitar ??  (Read 267 times)

Offline RGN007

• Good Vibes 0
Spanish Guitar ??
« on: May 13, 2020, 08:54:09 pm »
I didn't intend to learn guitar, but I'm 66 and during this Covid lockdown, I seem to have been inspired by my partner's leftover Spanish Guitar. He plays folk and I like a mixture of music but he doesn't understand why I feel I need to learn the theory.

Anyway, knowing zilch about guitars and managing to attempt to learn chords using a Sterling 5p, a bit like an old sixpence, I am now coming across what might be obstacles so I wondered if Justin or anyone else might tell me if I am wasting my time.

I had two abandoned guitars so my son has the other one and I loved the sound of this one, even though B says it's not much good. It seems to keep in tune, but apparently, a Spanish guitar is meant to have nylon strings and this one has 3 x metal ones and 3 x nylon. It has the twisty things pointing backwards, and inside, where I expected it to be unbranded, it states Ramirez No 8 2006.

I know I am struggling to get up any speed changing chords so I have no chance trying to learn a different set of chords to play Spanish and my nails (I'm a 66 year old retired nurse) are so brittle and split.

Anyway, wrong guitar or not, I've got up to learning the 8 essential beginners chords, so is there anyone who can tell me if just having this Spanish guitar will compromise me at least getting to strum a tune or two?
The idea was to surprise him after lockdown as we both have adult kids still living at our homes.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
  • Getting on with my life now!
Re: Spanish Guitar ??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 05:13:37 am »
Ramírez are a very nice quality guitar and well worth looking after and cherishing! If it has any problems it would be worth getting a luthier to look at it and giving an estimate for sorting it out! If it plays ok, there’s no problem using it to learn with; as regards the strings what you’ve described is normal, the three higher pitch strings are nylon, the other three are nylon core wound with metal. If it’s not had any new strings on for a long while it’s probably worth replacing them.
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 06:17:27 am »
As Darrel indicates, as long as there is nothing physically wrong with the guitar, you should be able to learn on it.

Classical guitars do tend to have a wider neck. This can make it more difficult to do open chords, as this requires a bit more stretching, and full barre chords (where you hold down all of the strings with one finger) also may be a bit more difficult.

On the other hand, nylon strings tend to be easier to fret than steel strings, and the wider string gap makes finger-picking easier.

So there are pros and cons but, fundamentally you should be able to learn on a classical guitar just as well as a steel-strung acoustic.

As suggested, a string change might be worth doing if you can order them online, and you may want to get a proper pick whilst you are at it. A coin will not be the easiest thing for a beginner to learn with.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 523
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:34:25 am »
Hi RGN and welcome to the forum.
As mentioned, learning beginner style on a nylon strumg guitar is fine.
However, put down that metal coin and do not use it as a plectrum - it will destroy those strings.
Get a thin plastic or a felt plectrum (felt is often used on ukuleles which also have nylon strings).
Before you learn any more chords learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.
And then learn some more.
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs

Filter by Beginner Stage 1.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:16:38 pm »
Good point about a plectrum, DO NOT USE A COIN with your guitar it will ruin the strings and if you catch the body cause nasty scratches! I use a leather one in preference to felt ones with my ukuleles and with my classical if I want to use one; I find it less grabby than felt.
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App