Author Topic: About Speed Development Lessons on YouTube  (Read 3636 times)

NeoBahamut

About Speed Development Lessons on YouTube
« on: February 19, 2007, 09:57:53 pm »
hello my master, this is my first post here... I've registered to ur forum so I can stay in contact with u as I really would like ur help to improve my skills...
First of all, really gratz for what u do, u really helpin lot of ppl... u're simply great. One word: Thanks.

I play the guitar for like 3 years (but actually I never studied/played seriously, so yeah I wasted my time but I was just a kid and never took seriously the idea to become a good guitarist, also I never focused on speed so mine is kinda bad :( )... I find ur lessons very useful as I finally grow up (:P) and decided to play seriously and improve my skills now, my first target is to improve speed... I started some days ago to do ur exercises... I'm on ur second lesson now, I can (sometimes I fail tho, so I think I need to train more) reach ur "3:50" speed... I know it maybe not good but as I said this is like my first serious attempt to playin guitar.
Pls I need ur suggestion: do you think I should try and try again this hammer exercise till I reach ur "4:03" speed (even if I have to do that same exercise for a year I don

Harpmaker

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:01:44 am »
Hi NeoBahamut,

Welcome to the forum!

I too am very thankful to Justin for his videos and website! After a year of trying to learn on my own I was despairing of ever "making a joyful noise" with my guitar, but his teaching has put me on the right track.

Being new to guitar myself, I'm about the last person on this forum to be giving playing advice, but as Justin says over and over again in his videos, "take it slow!".

If you try for speed at the beginning you will have problems. Speed comes from "muscle memory" which comes from practice, practice and more practice. Play it slowly and correctly at the beginning, speed will come, don't force it.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:47:36 am »
Welcome :)

Harpmaker is right. Slowly is the way the speed develop... (did Yoda say that?)

Don't be pushing each one to the max before you move on - just be able to do it and reasonable speed. Then move onto the next lesson - the speed will come as you progress.

Would recommend also doing the Finger Gym exercise every day - that will make a big difference I suspect.

You should have no problem getting fast - it about practice, not age!

Take care

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

NeoBahamut

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 03:02:46 pm »
wow thanks ^_^ I'll keep training as much as I can then I'll move onto next lesson then :)
that finger training is reaaaaaally helpful :) thx again
I noticed I have serious problems with flick-offs lol... 1)My fingers are so weak lol, 2)I keep touching the chord under the one I actually pick when I flick-off...specially with my last finger (can't remember how to say in english sry... maybe pinky?)... weeeeel guess I need lot of training he he
I'm so excited I got this opportunity! :) I needed a teacher... and you're perfect!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App