Author Topic: Minor7 and major7  (Read 6928 times)

Jskeans

Minor7 and major7
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:08:00 am »
I feel I have a decent understanding of all of the material presented.  I do have one question though.  I am somewhat puzzled on the naming of the chords but have just been accepting them for what they are.  A major 7 chord is 1357.  A dom 7 chord is 135b7.  I understand that.  A minor chord is 1 b3 5.  So it is my understanding that anytime I want to make a chord minor, I simply flatten the 3rd. 

My question comes with the minor 7 chord.  When going through the lesson and trying to work this out for the first time, I would have said the minor 7 is 1 b3 5 7, which I know is incorrect.  It is 1 b3 5 b7.  So based on my knowledge it would make sense to name this minor dom 7 and not minor 7. 

Would it be safe to conclude that when you make a triad minor, you flatten the third and when you want to make a quadrad minor, you flatten the third and seventh?  I was confused by this but have just been accepting it.  If this is explained in the book or on another lesson, I must have missed it.  An explanation would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Minor7 and major7
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:18:42 am »
My question comes with the minor 7 chord.  When going through the lesson and trying to work this out for the first time, I would have said the minor 7 is 1 b3 5 7, which I know is incorrect.  It is 1 b3 5 b7.  So based on my knowledge it would make sense to name this minor dom 7 and not minor 7.  

Dom 7th is usually shortened to just 7, what you have done in the highlighted section is make it a Major7th.
I would name that highlighted chord mM7 (minor, major7th)
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Zapped

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
    • My photography website
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:11:12 pm »
Caveats
(1) I was warned that this thread is over 120 days old, but since it's still the top thread in this forum by post date I wanted to reply anyway.
(2) I don't own the Chord Construction Guide but I'll try to help here.

My question comes with the minor 7 chord.  When going through the lesson and trying to work this out for the first time, I would have said the minor 7 is 1 b3 5 7, which I know is incorrect.  It is 1 b3 5 b7.  So based on my knowledge it would make sense to name this minor dom 7 and not minor 7. 

Take a look at any minor triad which occurs when you build on notes of the major scale. If you extend the triad to add the 7th, it will always be a minor 7th. This is true for the Dm Em and Am triads which occur naturally in the C major scale - Dm because Dm7 with the addition of the note C  (a m7 above the chord's root), Em becomes Em7 with the addition of the note D (also a m7 above the chord's root).

As Tourniquet indicated, a chord like DmM7 (notes D F A C#) has a name, but it's not a common chord or one that appears naturally when you build chords on a diatonic scale.

Hope that helps others who might read this, even if it's been a while since Jskeans originally asked.
- Jim
Austin, TX

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:44:29 pm »
for min type chords you flatten both the 3 and 7th.

it's kinda odd, but just the way it is.

Tourny and Zapped both right too!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App