Author Topic: Boss Blues Overdrive Pedal  (Read 3893 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
Boss Blues Overdrive Pedal
« on: November 28, 2021, 08:30:26 pm »
Hi Guys
My son has suggested getting me a Boss Blues Overdrive pedal for Christmas. This is because he knows I’m trying my hand at improvisation. I know I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth but I’m unsure about going down the fx pedal route for the following reasons.

Something else to fiddle with instead of concentrating on my playing.
I have a Boss Katana 50 amp with built in effects. Will this give me anything extra?
The K50 doesn’t have an effects loop. I’ve found a work around for my Trio+ looper/backing band pedal but what about this?

Any thoughts, opinions, advice?
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
    • My Road Case
Re: Boss Blues Overdrive Pedal
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 08:35:22 pm »
You have a Blues Driver built into the Katana.

If you feel you want to experiment with separate pedals, then go ahead, but if you aren't bothered, then it might be worth telling your son that you already have one.

If you decide to get it, you won't need an FX loop for a Blues Driver pedal. Most drive pedals go in front of the amp.

There are exceptions, like the Metal Zone, which are better in the FX loop, but usually the FX loop is best for modulation/delay type effects and, of course, loopers.

By the way, one reason to get a separate pedal with a K50 (or other amp without an FX loop) is that it would provide a way to put distortion in front of the looper without any workarounds.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 08:46:14 pm »
The main advantage I can think of is that you can switch it on/off with your foot. If you want the effect mid-song it's a pain to be switching manually.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
    • My Road Case
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 09:01:04 pm »
The main advantage I can think of is that you can switch it on/off with your foot. If you want the effect mid-song it's a pain to be switching manually.

A way to do that on the Katana 50 would be to add a footswitch, like the Boss FS6.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 09:35:55 pm »
A way to do that on the Katana 50 would be to add a footswitch, like the Boss FS6.
Presumably able to switch between multiple FX (i.e. equivalent to lots of pedals). I'll be getting something similar for my Yamaha one day I'm sure 🙂

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 09:38:22 pm »
Boss Katana.
Boss Blues OD.

As Keith says, the fx is in-built.
A foot pedal for easy switching would be a much better gift.
Or a Digitech FS3X foot pedal to operate the Trio+.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
    • My Road Case
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 09:57:19 pm »
Presumably able to switch between multiple FX (i.e. equivalent to lots of pedals). I'll be getting something similar for my Yamaha one day I'm sure 🙂

Actually, something was niggling me about this, and I double checked and I wasn't entirely correct here.

You can add a footswitch like the FS6 to the Katana 50 but, apparently, you can't use it for turning on and off effects. It can be used for bank/patch switching.

So you could set up two patches and switch between them as a way of turning on/off effects.

I was getting a bit confused because, on the Katana 100, you can connect an FS6 and configure it with BTS to turn on/off separate functions, such as the solo switch on many of the Katana drive pedals. This doesn't seem to apply to the K50.

So, whilst the K50 does have a Boss Blues Driver built in, it may be useful to have an external overdrive into the Trio+ to give a more elegant solution for using the looper. But a FS6 would also be a useful option.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 08:29:05 pm »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies and opinions/advice. Much appreciated and much food for thought.
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Get The Forum As A Mobile App