Author Topic: Grounding humm  (Read 3451 times)

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
Grounding humm
« on: November 26, 2021, 02:10:28 pm »
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/r1FL1

Hello there,
Sorry that I've been inactive recently. Was quite a lot on my mind. I will share some later. Now i got a question. I got new guitar. After purchase i went to luthier for check up and setting up (and selector replacement). At home I noticed there is a noticible humm when I don't touch the strings. When i do touch it or other metal parts it Almoat disappears. Now I've read on the Internet it means my guitar is not grounded properly. I have called my luthier and he replied this is normal for some pick ups and when he played It through he did not notice anything. I'm sure that is a guitar a not the electric socket or the amp. I xchecked it on the interface and amplifier and with another guitar. Now tomorrow I bring it to him and we play together to hear this noise.

Now what he says is that is most probably normal for this kind of pick ups and the only way is to screen it with copper or something. What is your experience with this. Maybe it is really just a faulty grounding issue? Sound probe at the begging of the post please relate.

Cheers fellows!

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Grounding humm
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 02:16:55 pm »
Ok there is no feedback but I can share what luthier said.

He said this noise is due to high vulnerability of the pick ups for picking up the radio waves all around us. Interesting thing is that at his workshop it was noticably smaller then at my place. What I can do is screen the electtronic with copper or change pick ups. These pick ups i really like so i do not plan to change for now. I will give copper screening a thought later and decide how much this humming bothers me.

Cheers

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 02:52:15 pm »
Do you have a noise gate on your amp? Maybe that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 03:26:15 pm »
This is what I'm thinking. The noise bothers me only when I don't play so noise gate would work charm! The thing here is I was worried about my guitar coming back from a pro Luthier and giving this kind of noise. Anyway I see what is the point now.

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 04:32:19 pm »
You could always build yourself a faraday cage to play in…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 04:35:31 pm »
Aren't neutrina penetrating fardays cage? I heard they passthrough everything... :D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App