Author Topic: How fast should you progress through modules / lessons?  (Read 489 times)

Offline Sjheerts

• Good Vibes 0
How fast should you progress through modules / lessons?
« on: November 27, 2021, 12:31:52 am »
Hey guys! Very very beginner guitar player here. Today is my first time picking up a guitar and going through an actual lesson / practice structure. My goal is to practice for about 1-2 hours a day instead of wasting that time on Netflix!

I'm curious on how fast you should progress through a module and lessons? Is it better to:
1) Make it through one lesson video, have a few practice sessions until it feels solid, then move on to the next lesson; or
2) Blast through all of the lesson videos, get to the module practice schedule / tips, and then just practice until I think I'm ready to move onto the next module?

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
Re: How fast should you progress through modules / lessons?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 01:52:38 am »
Mostly # 1, with #2 in the background.

I like to go one lesson at a time, but often listen to upcoming lessons and go back and work my way through one at a time. That way I also see the bigger picture a bit. It is important not to get too far ahead of one’s self, but also to push and challenge yourself a bit.

I also backtrack occasionally. Getting to a place where revisiting prior lessons make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 04:23:24 am »
Warm welcome to the Forum, SJ!

I agree with Jamolay, and will add this.

As you progress, add the playing of songs into your routine. You can do this from Justin's song lessons or his app. As you move from lesson to lesson, add songs that make use of what you have learned in the lesson completed. So practising technique from current lesson and playing songs from previous lessons.

And once you can play a song then make a recording and share on AVOYP. It doesn't matter how simply you play the song. A simple recording made with a smart phone is good enough. You will receive feedback to help the learning and loads of encouragement, which I have found invaluable when learning to play from Justin's course.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline SgtColon

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 09:10:06 am »
Nothing more I can add. I just wanted to say welcome to the forums and to enjoy your guitar journey. It's not easy and it's not fast but it is very rewarding. :)
Yamaha FG-411s acoustic.
G&L Tribute ASAT electric.
Boss Katana MkII 50 amp.

Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App