Author Topic: Upgrade from practice amp - Modelling, Valve of Multi-FX?  (Read 856 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Upgrade from practice amp - Modelling, Valve of Multi-FX?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2021, 06:13:34 pm »
If I was going to gig, I would be a tube amp snob and try to convince everyone that is the way to go.
I will say just one word to you…………… Dumble………..
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
Upgrade from practice amp - Modelling, Valve of Multi-FX?
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2021, 06:35:38 pm »
I will say just one word to you…………… Dumble………..

https://youtu.be/4j7a_sGha-Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
Re: Upgrade from practice amp - Modelling, Valve of Multi-FX?
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2021, 09:19:04 pm »
FWIW, I play my tube amps at home and at bedroom levels. And I have a Two Notes box to rein in the volume of the higher-wattage amps. So can you do it? Sure. (That said, I pretty much never play with the only output going to headphones -- I dislike playing through headphones and avoid it.)

However, I think you need to consider context (use case) and expense when selecting "the right tool for the job." If your main use case is headphone playing a digital approach makes more sense, in my opinion. Can you hook up a Marshall DSL40 (or whatever) and a Two Notes box and plug some headphones into it? Yep, you can. But you'll be paying an awful lot for that setup while using only a fraction of its capabilities. And when you go to headphones you'll be using some sort of digital simulation in any case, even though you're using a tube amp.

If you remove the headphones from the equation and only consider "bedroom volume" playing a tube amp plus attenuator can make more sense, but you'll still be paying a lot for that. If you've got the money and just like playing through tube amps, sure, go for it. As I mentioned, I do this. But I also think that it's probably not the first thing to recommend for most people, especially if they're asking the question and may not be familiar with all the details and pros/cons of tube vs digital and load boxes and attenuation and IR/cab-simulation, and all the rest.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App