Author Topic: Tools to convert chords from a website into tablet-friendly format  (Read 761 times)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 204
    • YouTube
Re: Tools to convert chords from a website into tablet-friendly format
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2021, 01:25:23 pm »
Yeah. Thank goodness someone else does what I do.
For "wordy" covers sometimes it takes more than catching a vibe and fleshing it out, some sort of organized methodology is called for. My music stand usually has a few layers of single sheets of paper much like what Brian posted and David suggested, some with just lyrics and some with chords as well.

I will admit to frequently "fast tracking" some cover songs by going to https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/ and using the transpose and printing format features. Getting songs on a single sheet is workable, multi-sheet is cumbersome. That's what I did with a song like Verdi Cries. I never feel obligated to follow words or chords as presented on the paper. I've usually memorized the song to my liking and moved past the paper stage when I record.

It always starts with catching and synthesizing the vibe, that is the make or break first step. I tend to start with a progression or some kind of musical movement, catch the vibe and try to nail it --or find a song that uses it. For After Midnight I watched a J.J. Cale documentary that ignited the whole chain of events. Then I synthesized this rendition (more or less), added some of my own simplified fills, and sense of timing (for better or worse), etc:

I got a good chuckle out of Jason's account of bringing music to the band. How bands stay together for any amount of time remains a mystery. I will work on my marriage, family relations and friendships, but when it comes to music I would be impossible to deal with. :) 

Not sure if any of this helps anyone, but there it is in a nutshell. It's a fluid process and I'm certainly open to something that will fast track things a bit better. I have no interest in things that take longer or include more work.

BTW, I never knew I even had a nelly!

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 255
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2021, 05:24:20 pm »
I'm half way between Clint and Toby.
Learn most songs from live performances of the artist's version of a song on youtube.
Don't use software to pick out the chord. Just listen and figure it out the best I can.
I do use slow downer software and if I'm really stuck I'll look at youtube lessons.
That's how I came across Justin's Web site.

Before the internet my wife would write out song lyrics and I'd learn the chords using cassette tapes
or albums. 
Fast forward 30+ years.
Download the closest to correct version, edit to original, practice until memorized move on to the
next song.
One thing I've found with Ultimate Guitar is the more star a song has. The less accurate it is.
More stars just mean easiest version not Accurate version. 

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 204
    • YouTube
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2021, 07:04:58 pm »
I'm half way between Clint and Toby.
Learn most songs from live performances of the artist's version of a song on youtube.
Don't use software to pick out the chord. Just listen and figure it out the best I can.
I do use slow downer software and if I'm really stuck I'll look at youtube lessons.
That's how I came across Justin's Web site.

Before the internet my wife would write out song lyrics and I'd learn the chords using cassette tapes
or albums. 
Fast forward 30+ years.
Download the closest to correct version, edit to original, practice until memorized move on to the
next song.
One thing I've found with Ultimate Guitar is the more star a song has. The less accurate it is.
More stars just mean easiest version not Accurate version. 
Ultimate guitar is just a point of reference, I've used plain lyrics sites as well. My goal has never been musical accuracy. I usually end up transposing, changing or skipping a few chords here and there. I don't sweat the details (for better or worse). 

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2021, 09:01:20 pm »
@Maggie - Thank you. That KG video was really helpful. I have not used regions or markers but got a similar result, copying and dragging dropping Empty Items all over the place and editing each accordingly. That now looks like it was based in the Stone Age! Could not quite tell from the pictures but are your chords individual items aligned to the beat ?

Glad to be able to help Toby. Yes each chord is in an Empty Item, but as I said it's easy to copy and paste, change bar length etc once you've set up one. I've changed the colours so you can see more clearly. The first A7 is 4 beats and goes from bar 60.1.00 to 61.1.00 The second pair of A7's are two beats each and go from 61.1.00 to 61.3.00, then 61.3.00 to 62.1.00. You can see the grid lines clearly in the yellow and the blue sections. If you click on the image it will enlarge.

I always struggled with changing the Empty Item font size but dropped on this KG video this morning and learnt a heck of a lot more (adding text and picture to the tracks !). May be useful to the Reaper folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mk8-3BJwNs

Ahh sorry Toby, I made the assumption you'd seen this vid, that's why I didn't include it. There's another one I used but for the life of me I can't find it on the Reaper site. Will look later today.

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 281
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2021, 10:14:54 pm »
Maggie

Thought that was what you were doing, as it it keeps it really tight. I've not been doing many multi-tracks this year, as its been mainly one offs with gtr and vox only onto video but all these tips will help when future project pop up. I have only scratched the surface with the aids that Reaper provides and know there's is likely to be a lot more that will improve set up and mixing. But hey got away with it so far.  ;)

Its the usual problem. So much to learn, so little time.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 150
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2021, 12:02:57 pm »
I tend to start with a progression or some kind of musical movement, catch the vibe and try to nail it
I hate to pick arguments with you, Clint (although it can be a lot of fun if I keep within boundaries ;)
I think of you doing the first part of the above, but putting your own vibe on it and nailing it (a subtle, but important difference)
An example of what I mean would be your recent take on Norwegian Wood. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous, but a very different vibe I picked up from the original. Would it be blasphemy to say I preferred parts of it?)
Anyway, it provides me with the opportunity of giving you vibes for a song you haven't even posted in AVOYP yet!
Is that a forum first? ;D

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 204
    • YouTube
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2021, 03:56:03 pm »
I hate to pick arguments with you, Clint (although it can be a lot of fun if I keep within boundaries ;)
I think of you doing the first part of the above, but putting your own vibe on it and nailing it (a subtle, but important difference)
An example of what I mean would be your recent take on Norwegian Wood. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous, but a very different vibe I picked up from the original. Would it be blasphemy to say I preferred parts of it?)
Anyway, it provides me with the opportunity of giving you vibes for a song you haven't even posted in AVOYP yet!
Is that a forum first? ;D
Really cool comment BL! First off, you probably win all the arguments anyway. :)

Yeah, it's important to me to put some kind of creative twist on a progression. Even if it's not completely spot on, it's good to try, and much better in my mind than doing a note for note carbon copy. Embrace the part of the progression (or song) that drew you to it, and then add your own touches. And you don't have to play the whole song. Capture the musical movement then go on to something else. It's funny that I change things enough these days to not get copyright notices. The other way to look at it is that the record labels don't want any part of what I'm doing. LOL 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App