Author Topic: JA-010 • Jazz Up Your Blues 1 (9th Chords)  (Read 388 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:21:11 am by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

johnjay

Re: JA-010 • Jazz Up Your Blues 1 (9th Chords)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:12:31 pm »
I'm a bit confused about what's going on using a minor pentatonic scale for lead when playing in a major key. At least, that's what I think I heard Justin say in this lesson. I guess my questions are:

Did I hear right? minor pentatonic scale for lead in a major key

Could you explain a bit about why? I know it sounds cool, but really, what's going on here?

What scale do you use for lead if you're in a minor key?

sportyguitarman

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:26:43 pm »
The Minor pentatonic does sound cool over a major key chord progression. However in music theory this should not work. Why it shouldn't work is because what make's a minor scale minor is a flat 3rd. Major key doesn't contain the flat 3rd. So for example, in the key of A major, the A major chord has the notes A, C#, and E. C# is the 3rd in the key. In the key of A minor, the A Minor chord has the notes A, C, and E. The A minor pentatonic scale has the notes A, C, D, E and G. The two notes that clash between the major and minor keys are the C and C# because this is the flat 3rd of the minor key and 3rd of the major key. This shouldn't work according to music theory but its just something our ears got used to after hearing it in so many styles of music. That clash is what really makes it sound so cool.

As for what scale to use over a minor key you could use the Minor pentatonic for this especially if you're playing a minor blues.

Hope this helps you. ;)

johnjay

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »
Thanks Sportyguitarman

Moyz1

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:48:38 am »
In this video Justin used something to mute his guitar. Due to my neighbours getting increasingly annoyed with me practising, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what its called and where i can get one?

Thanks  :)

wakefieldyorkshire

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:40:12 am »
O.K I think have a good idea of what people are are saying about the minor Pentatonic Scale; but just to clear things up, lets say i was playing in the key of C major with F subdom and G dom, should i play over it with relative Am pentatonic or Cm pentatonic.   

sportyguitarman

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 06:02:26 am »
O.K I think have a good idea of what people are are saying about the minor Pentatonic Scale; but just to clear things up, lets say i was playing in the key of C major with F subdom and G dom, should i play over it with relative Am pentatonic or Cm pentatonic.   

Over a I IV V chord progression with the chords all being dominant 7ths you should use the Cm pentatonic and it'll sound cool.

Rick in Miami

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »
Justin: for the 9th with root on low E string, is there a reason you're not playing the chord like this?

e -x-
B -5-
G -4-
D -5-
A -4-
E -5-

(tab for A7) with the first finger barring the 4th fret and fingers 2, 3, 4 on the fifth fret, E,D,B strings?   In other words, is there a reason you're not playing the root note on low E?

Offline filiped

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 12:42:54 am »
so, before I can jazz up my blues I gotta finish the "Getting Into Jazz Lessons" first right?
do you recommend I finish the "blues rhythm course" first?

thanks

Get The Forum As A Mobile App