Author Topic: tapping foot / accenting beats  (Read 351 times)

Offline VinnieV08

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
tapping foot / accenting beats
« on: October 19, 2021, 01:06:39 pm »
Hey hey. Hello! So I’m working on strumming techniques 2 - RUST pattern #25 16th notes. Accents 1, the & after 2, and 4. I have trouble keeping the beat with my foot and not tapping my foot on the & after 2. My foot wants to tap on that accent too.

Any exercises to literally beat that tendency out of me, so to speak? Thanks for the help!

Lee …. Vinnie

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: tapping foot / accenting beats
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 01:40:44 pm »
I have similar problems with a foot that gets a bit jumpy, Vinnie. Nothing I can suggest other than to persevere ... as long as it takes. But I haven't got beyond the first 16th note pattern playing everything and an accent on the 1, 2, 3, 4 so not much experience to draw on.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline firstrazor

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 01:41:03 pm »
Hi Vinnie. This is a 3-3-2 rhythm pattern very common in pop music, like many Ed Sheeran’s songs. John Legend’s All of Me intro is very noticeable with this pattern. I just tap the foot like normal pace, and don’t really pay attention how my hand and foot are synchronized. I normally use the variation of this pattern with lots of skipping of strumming. So there is possibility that the down stroke is even skipped when the foot is tapping down, of course the strumming hand should be always moving as Justin keeps emphasizing.

This is a comment from an early intermediate (I went through the RUST course less a year ago), maybe not correct, just for your reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline firstrazor

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 01:54:02 pm »
One more: sometimes when I feel it is too tricky or too fast to tap the foot with a certain pattern and tempo, I would reduce the tapping frequency by half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline VinnieV08

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: tapping foot / accenting beats
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 04:05:13 am »
Hey, thanks for the comments guys.  I appreciate it.  I'll just keep on keeping on.  Always pushing forward and getting better.

Cheers,
Vinnie

Get The Forum As A Mobile App