Author Topic: Is Justin still active  (Read 518 times)

Offline dcmorgan66

• Good Vibes 0
Is Justin still active
« on: October 12, 2021, 10:40:43 pm »
I have been using Justin's lessons on the site. I have also downloaded the app. The lessons are certainly helping me along and I enjoy his teaching style. There are so many options on the internet and you can waste so much money in your journey to improve. I do not like the idea of throwing money at someone who is not really active in the content.

Most of what I see on the forum from Justin appears to be quite old. So, before I purchase the app and get an annual sub, I would like to have confidence that the teacher is still active with the site and his students. Can anyone weigh in on this? I would really love to see Justin respond since this is clearly a question directed at him.

Offline firstrazor

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
Re: Is Justin still active
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 11:03:55 pm »
If you register Justin’s newsletter, you will know he is as passionate and busy as before, if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 11:10:22 pm »
Just doesn't sound much time here.

Sent from my SM-A225F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 140
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 11:25:43 pm »
Yes he is still active  :)
Justin is primarily a guitar teacher.
He provides tuition for free. The main medium is through online content.
If you are enjoying his teaching and his lessons are helping, you might consider making a contribution in whatever way you wish or are able. This allows him to continue providing a remarkable learning resource.
You've already downloaded the app. Why not risk the $9 and decide for yourself if it's worth it?
I think it's unlikely Justin will personally respond to your query. I'd prefer to see him spend his time continuing to improve the course and website.

Two practical suggestions for how to get more out of his teaching, and both are free:
1) Sign up for his monthly newsletter. He is pretty good at summarising what he is working on and plenty more.
2) Participate in the forum here. Loads of guitar students of all levels are around to help/inspire/share.

Have fun with whatever your decision is and hope to see you around  :)

Online Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 11:53:40 pm »
I have not seen Justin on this forum, but he has contact with a few moderators and they are very involved.

Justin is active on Instagram, YouTube and I think on his website discus forum. 
His newsletter is updated regularly. Probably other places as well.

After a time reading, learning and seeing what he is involved in, I think you will learn, as I have, that Justin is very, very involved. He is very busy producing the excellent content we enjoy, and very, very busy in his own family, self growth, teaching, music and building an accessible, inclusive and dynamic learning program for guitar.

Although there are useful tidbits scattered across the internet we may sample, Justin’s course is a great backbone and core for learning. You won’t go wrong, and the forum is a nice community of involved players and learners.

I hope you join us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 07:23:43 am »
This moderator / official JustinGuitar guide is deliberately sitting back for a while to allow the forum to speak for itself on this.

:) :) :)

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 10:37:54 am »
Just doesn't sound much time here.

Sent from my SM-A225F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Thought I'd had better qualify, as there was an addendum to this post, that appears not have been picked up. Maybe, like I stopped using Taptalk, I'll minimise use of the forum app, as my phone does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes !!

Despite Justin in recent years having a minimal presence on the JGC forum, I would say that he is fully involved in the development of the site, new lessons, new learning experiences and is committed to making learning the guitar as easy as possible, as accessible as  possible and where possible, as cheap as possible.

Over the last few years he has re-written the the Beginner Course to include new material and new structure and has done/is doing so with the Intermediate Course. As evidence by the Newsletter, he is always either introducing new lessons or updating/refreshing/modernising old lessons to keep the site current. So I do not think you can question his involvement or dedication to making this the best learning experience for new and experienced guitarists alike.

Yes it would be great if he could drop by here more frequently, given his presence of other mediums but when you look at his workload over the last 3-4 years, you can only be in so many place at once. However, as said already the forum moderators (Close2u/Richard and Lieven) are his representatives here. Are in frequent contact with him and ensure any concerns or questions get passed up the line and also followed if required.

And without wishing to repeat others, there are many ways you can support and help him maintain his ethos of "access for all" in his quest to teach the guitar. One not mentioned was his Practical Music Theory, sign up for a subscription or pay life time membership and get a unique approach to music theory. So not only written specifically for the guitar but the key element is the "Practical" aspect. This is applied theory from the get go, that you can put into practice from day one. There is a lot of theory out there but how much practical theory ? Again this had been another complete rewrite in recent years, which is no longer just written tome but fully enhanced to include video lessons as well.

So is he still active with the site and his students ? For sure.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline dcmorgan66

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 09:07:11 pm »
Tobyjenner,

So is he still active with the site and his students ? For sure.

This is what I was asking for. Thank you.

I truly did not expect Justin to respond to this, but as stated, it would have been nice. I was not looking for if he spent his time on the forum as he even states in a video to avoid such things. My question was is he still actively involved in content? Lessons at any level? progression? Advancement of students, etc., etc.

IN all I have done, I have not seen anything linking to newsletter. I will look into that right away.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. greatly appreciated.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 09:38:41 pm »
I will add some extra info tomorrow.

I'm glad you're getting hoped-for responses.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Online glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 10:16:18 pm »
Hello dcmorgan66 and welcome to the forum! I hope you will become a regular on here because there's never too many musicians to discuss all music with. This forum is a great virtual community and I met quite a few good friends through here (I even met a few of them in person!) but as often is the case with communites, some people come and go and others stay. So feel free to ask questions, post your playing progress or just lurk around. And it's always worth reading through old threads because they are full of knowledge. I always learn something new by just reading stuff.

I did a search for Justinguitar newsletter subscription on the website and it seems that it is only mentioned in two places:
- Privacy Policy
- When you register your account (which is not required for accessing any of his lessons but you can use it to save your progress and mark lessons as completed, make your own practice schedules, etc.) at the bottom of the registration form you can tick "I want to receive Justin's monthly newsletter."

If there is one thing, Justin has been known for, is his credibility. He does not spam you, he only ever sends the monthly newsletter (sometimes when he is super busy, he even forgets to send one). I went through my inbox archive and can tell you that over the past 132 (+- 6) months I have been around, he only sent two (maybe I missed one or two but definitely less than 10) emails that were outside the newsletter and there was always a good reason for it (I think once he needed help with beta testers on the website) and never a try to push a certain paid product, etc.

Okay now to his involvment:
As others have said, he is very involved but a very busy man. Busy mainly with designing new lesson plans, recording lessons and editing them. Just to give you an example:

- I think in the period 2018-2020 (I might get the years a bit wrong by one year) he rewrote his beginners course based on all the feedback he got over the years on the forum and under his youtube videos. There is an interview with him on YouTube where he explains more about the redesign process. But to me, the most astonishing thing is that in order to check whether or not, his method works, he relearnt the guitar left handed! If this is not dedication for the students and involvment, I do not know. Also the fact that this is his third iteration of the beginners course, speaks for itself.

- At the moment, he is working on the Intermediate course (on the website grade 4 - 6) and is releasing it in batches. It involves five different pathways (Major Scale, Transcribing, Rhythm, Barre shapes and something I cannot remember at the moment, sorry!) that you can take based on your interest. I think in one of the newsletters he mentioned the lessons are now fully planned and now he "just" needs to record them which will be going on for the next few months.

- He still records new song lessons. My favourite recent lesson was John Mayer's song Last Train Home that Justin recorded and released on the same day song came out! Well that's what I call being on top of things haha! As the top YouTube comment under this lesson says: "Wow! That is was quick, Justin. Finally, I'll be the first instead of the last guy to know a popular song in my clique. :) Thanks a lot!"

He also recently implemented a song request feature on the website. And according to the last email, he'll start recording the top rated songs very soon!

- One last thing that show his involvment and care for the forum community specifically are his Christmas giveaways, monthly song competitions (currently on hiatus) and monthly Forum award recepients. For the last two, an "award" is 1 hour one on one online session with Justin where you can really get personalised guidance for your own guitar journey. And the best part of it is that the forum members kindly share their experiences with others in this thread so we all get something out of it!

Okay, I will stop now because this is starting to sound like some commercial to buy a product :D. But I will add one last thing. Until last year (or maybe the year before, haven't checked newsletters) Justin ran everything on his own (with a bit of help from his friend Jedi). He even coded the website from scratch (check old.justinguitar.com) back in the days! He even admitted in one of the newsletters that he is not the best at letting things go. But it was hindering him from putting more time into lessons. But with all the donations, bought DVDs (if you still remember those things ;) ) and subscribtions to his Theory Course (and now JustinGuitar Tabs), he was able to expand his team so that he can focus mainly on developping lesson plans and making lessons. But he never lost his credibility and values. And that's why I have stuck around for more than a decade. Because his credibility and involvment is a reminder to me that when I do something, I have to do it all in or don't do it at all.

And now I will officially stop being a fan boy and let you spend your time productively, practicing guitar and reading music-related threads around the forum 8).

Enjoy your guitar journey!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 11:46:09 pm »
Whoops.
It is almost midnight next day. Time to come back as promised.

The Newsletter subscription is accessible through your Profile on the main website.

I am so delighted that glpguitar (Lula) mentioned some things not yet mentioned - especially that Justin has been giving one-to-one lessons to forum members.

There's more but it's bedtime for this sleepy head.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 03:16:13 am »
And now I will officially stop being a fan boy and let you spend your time productively, practicing guitar and reading music-related threads around the forum 8).

Well said Luca. Justin is the real deal, no doubt. I join you in being a fan gal.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 05:12:47 am »
<Snip Snip Snip>

And that's why I have stuck around for more than a decade. Because his credibility and involvment is a reminder to me that when I do something, I have to do it all in or don't do it at all.

Wow, Luka. I'd read this thread and decided that I didn't need to join in, that others had covered the ground adequately. Good Vibes to you for a comprehensive reflection on Justin, his dedicated pursuit of his ongoing mission to "teach the world to play", and the role of the Forum, which as others said is superbly supported by our more-than-simple-moderators Close2u and LievenDV.

dc, I've been a student of Justin's and an active member of the Forum for nearly 5 years. I've had the privilege to meet Justin for a virtual lesson twice and can just confirm all that others have said. I'm glad you (already) received and acknowledged the reassurance you were looking for. Now I hope you'll continue your journey with Justin and become an active member of the Forum.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline SgtColon

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 07:09:04 am »
Great read Luca and very well said.   :)
Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App