Author Topic: Strumming Consistency  (Read 211 times)

Offline leopold3224

• Good Vibes 0
Strumming Consistency
« on: October 12, 2021, 07:31:56 pm »
Hi Everyone

I'm a newbie to JG and i'm struggling with strumming consistency. So when i practice a song ie Oasis Champagne Supernova each chord doesn't always ring out properly.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
Re: Strumming Consistency
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 08:34:13 pm »
I struggle with this as well. It think it is just a slow process.

Remember to keep your hand moving, like Justin keeps saying. Take time to practice just strumming, with muted strings or at least no fretting hand action so you can concentrate on the strumming. I strummed “half time” with a metronome some, so I could get the downs and ups uniform.

I also think this is part of the reason Justin recommends simple strumming patterns early on. Get the cords right first so you can advance your strumming without having to figure out both at the same time.

I hope another beginner’s pov is useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline leopold3224

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 04:01:54 am »
Thanks Jamolay for your pov. I'll try that and also revisit Justin's lesson. I might even film myself to see if it highlights where im going wrong.
Appreciate you replying

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 07:35:55 am »
When you're starting everything needs to be done that bit slower. Remember that you're building muscle memory so practice things slowly until you can play through the song steadily at a slow speed without stopping strumming. Then you can start to speed it up. It's the same for every song you play it slow to start with to get a feeling for the song and learn the chord progression, then you can  speed it up.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 01:26:27 pm »
I forgot to mention, Justin does have a separate strumming lesson set available for download. It is two CD size videos, so quite a lot of helpful information and he walks you through it. I am still working through it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline leopold3224

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 09:32:45 pm »
Thank you Both. I'll take a look at the strumming download. My strumming sounds a bit 'blocky' not smooth at all.
Work in progress i guess.
Thanks again.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App