Author Topic: Blues Guitar Study #1: That 6th Trick (after 7 weeks)  (Read 626 times)

Offline jestersea

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
Blues Guitar Study #1: That 6th Trick (after 7 weeks)
« on: September 15, 2021, 08:54:30 pm »
7 months on Justin Guitar - I'm polishing up Grade 2 Module 14 and used this study to push myself. Couldn't even play through the intro 7 weeks ago. Have learned a ton through this study, from theory to blues progressions to fingerstyle to that bass/melody separation. Still have some room to improve but figured now's a good chance to share for some feedback.

I'm working on getting the notes to ring out clearly (instead of sounding choked or sharp), making sure my fingers land on the right strings when moving from one section to the next, and keeping a consistent rhythm (I usually play with an 80 bpm click track).

Love this study and looking forward to starting the next one! Any advice on when to move on? Should I wait unitl this one is "Justin Level" or now that I can get through it 80-90% (given that I'm a beginner) is it better to move onto another study that will help me build other/complementary skills?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Blues Guitar Study #1: That 6th Trick (after 7 weeks)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:03:47 pm »
You didn’t play it too bad at all, a bit hesitant in places but that’s to be expected at your stage. My advice is to slow down and concentrate on accuracy, playing up to speed and loosing accuracy isn’t good because you’re practicing mistakes which is a big no no, it will really slow you down long term if you continue doing it.
Good luck and keep posting what you’re learning and asking for critique and advice.
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 07:26:21 am »
You are doing well, Jesse. Bravo on progress and sharing.

Darrell makes a good point about slowing down to develop the dexterity, control, and muscle memory.  But as much as we all offer that advice, back home we all tend to forget it ourselves in the heat of the moment, when wanting to play to tempo.

When to move on is a tough question to answer. I would not suggest staying with something as long as it takes to get to Justin level. But if you are still enjoying the practice and would like to lift your level further on this study then stay with it.  On the other hand, if starting to feel a little stale then also OK to work on the the next one.  Then later cycle back to the first. With more general practice you may find improvement comes quickly to a new level on the first.

And watching your post reminds me that I've not spent time on these studies for a while, maybe it is time to return to it again.

Well done, keep on keeping on!
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline tomgk90

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 01:18:52 pm »
Kudos on the patience and hard work of practicing something difficult, that's clearly pushing you in a good way. I think doing a slow run through as a part of your regular practice while moving to something else would be a good way to develop while still working through the technique.

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 150
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 04:18:21 pm »
Never ceases to amaze me how many of us travel so quickly in completely different directions when we set out on our guitar journeys  :)
You're making good progress.
The double Ds above know more about this style of playing than me, so I'd listen to them  ;)
Keep at it and keep posting
Rock on \m/

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 07:57:45 pm »
Nice progress, I would keep at it for a bit longer and perhaps include it in my practice routine. And yes slow down so mistakes are limited to minimum :) all the best

Keep on rockin' my friends

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:01:30 pm »
Well done, that was really good. You’ve made terrific progress in a short time. Lots of opinions here as to when to move on. I’d say as soon as you start to get stale trying to improve on this one, it’s time to move on. You can keep coming back to it, improve it and move forward and learn new skills too.
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline jestersea

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 11:20:38 pm »
My advice is to slow down and concentrate on accuracy,

Thanks Darrell this is helpful - slowing down to work out the kinks is something I'm doing more of but probably need to be doing even more  :).

Here's a related question - at what point during a playthrough do you stop if there's an error? I think a good approach is to do a full playthrough (however much of the song I have down at the moment, whether the first few bars or the whole thing) and listen for the trouble spots. Then go back and work on those trouble spots very slowly, both isolated and in broader context of the song, until the muscle memory starts kicking in. Then go back to the full playthrough and assess and start the process over again. Sound like a good approach?

Offline jestersea

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 11:23:10 pm »
When to move on is a tough question to answer. I would not suggest staying with something as long as it takes to get to Justin level. But if you are still enjoying the practice and would like to lift your level further on this study then stay with it.  On the other hand, if starting to feel a little stale then also OK to work on the the next one.  Then later cycle back to the first. With more general practice you may find improvement comes quickly to a new level on the first.
Thanks David this makes complete sense. Ironically the first time I picked up my guitar to play through this today it sounded better than any of the takes during my 30 minute session yesterday for the video! I think I'm at the point where I'll keep it in the practice schedule for at least 2-3 run through's worth and at the same time start moving to the next blues study.

Offline jestersea

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 11:24:31 pm »
Kudos on the patience and hard work of practicing something difficult, that's clearly pushing you in a good way.
Thanks Tom. There was about a week to 10 days in the beginning of this where I wondered if I had bit off more than I could chew. Glad I stayed with it. Still alot of room for improvement but it's been a really great learning tool for me.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 204
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 01:53:18 am »
Sounded good! You are well on your way. Good on you for posting a video so early in your journey.   

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 05:55:25 am »
Here's a related question - at what point during a playthrough do you stop if there's an error? I think a good approach is to do a full playthrough (however much of the song I have down at the moment, whether the first few bars or the whole thing) and listen for the trouble spots. Then go back and work on those trouble spots very slowly, both isolated and in broader context of the song, until the muscle memory starts kicking in. Then go back to the full playthrough and assess and start the process over again. Sound like a good approach?

I find it useful to think about it in terms of rehearsal to perform the song and practice. In rehearsal it is good to keep going, even if there is an error. Learning to keep playing and recover from an error, both in your playing and in your head, is invaluable.

In practice I might stop immediately and just focus on the part I am struggling with. I try and find a natural start and end point of a small section that easily leads me into and out of the difficult part, then just slow down and concentrate on that. In these studies I tend to have many parts I am struggling with and may spend an entire practice session without a playthrough, just working the small sections.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 01:34:23 pm »
Welcome and nice one. Your learning well and doing well too. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Rock it down,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 281
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 11:59:43 am »
Sounding good and making nice progress. Lots of advice so far but also inspiring. This and other lessons were not around when I worked through the old Beginners Course and when these examples pop up now and then, I always say I must go back and revisit the new course structure and pick up on the gems I am missing. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline nickdelrey

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 12:09:07 pm »
Wow. I need to look into that course.

Good job!

Offline jsgreen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 05:20:51 pm »
very much enjoyed this, good vibes!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 08:40:20 pm »
Can't add to the advise already given. Keep up the good work. and give yourself a pat on the back.  :)

Offline pinkyisbroken

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 05:42:11 pm »
Cool little number. I am looking forward to that. Really am. I cant play that so i can only comment on what i see as a spectator and most of that has been covered.

Id rather see it slower with clear notes than with duff notes.. I am a yank living in the UK so i would normally say bum notes.

I suppose this is a piece you could play slower and it wont make much difference in my opinion. If anything it might even make it better if it were a tiny bit slower but accurate.

You have cahones as we say. I dont know if i can mention the other word but hopefuly you know what i mean. Cahones to post that.

I am highly critical of myself and have always been. I could not do what you have done. Even if i played it perfectly i would not post it. In the past i would practice quietly away from peole so nobody can hear me. Embarressed almost. Ashamed almost. I did not want people to hear me fumbling around and laughing.

I came out of my shell yesterday. I dont give a monkeys anymore. I am going to make a mistake so i need to stop punishing myself before i even began.

I cannot express enough how much a few video clips, a website, some positive teaching that actually is freaking working for once have helped me. (ive had teachers in the past that i paid for - did not work). But this is another topic all together.

Well done mate as we say.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 08:46:59 pm »
Well done. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, but I'll reinforce a few points.

Thanks Darrell this is helpful - slowing down to work out the kinks is something I'm doing more of but probably need to be doing even more  :).

That was going to be my advice: slow it down a bit more. Get it smooth and consistent at a slower tempo (as slow as you need to make it) with the metronome, then gradually increase the speed.

Here's a related question - at what point during a playthrough do you stop if there's an error?

I'd recommend practicing it in two "modes," which I kind of think of as "identifying and correcting problems" and "performance practice." When you're in the first mode, you can stop whenever you identify a problem that needs to be worked on. The second mode ("performance practice") is playing through the entire piece as if you were performing it. In that case you wouldn't stop, you would try to move on through the mistake while minimizing its impact on the piece. Both "modes" are valuable. When you're first learning a piece you'll probably spend a lot more time in the first mode.

Online SgtColon

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:34:18 am »
Thanks for sharing Jester, that was a cool little number. I really enjoyed it.
Yamaha FG-411s acoustic.
G&L Tribute ASAT electric.
Boss Katana MkII 50 amp.

Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App