Author Topic: Music Theory in parallel with the lessons? Also thank you :)  (Read 161 times)

Offline gangrenemachine

• Good Vibes 0
Music Theory in parallel with the lessons? Also thank you :)
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:51:41 am »
Hi Guys,

I've just finished the Grade 1 guitar course and I'm thinking about getting the Music Theory course to do in tandem while I progress up through the other guitar course grades. I wondering is there a rough guide to when the theory is most relevant/helpful to the guitar course grades? Like, should I be doing Grade 4 of the theory at the around the same time as Grade 4 of the practical?

For some background, I'm picking up the guitar again after not playing for a few years, but I have only ever learned by watching how to play songs on YouTube so my knowledge of theory is almost zero.

I'd never seen the note circle before so when I did the lesson on it, it absolutely blew my mind. It was like a lightbulb coming on and I spent hours playing around with it (stuff like "if E7 and A7 both include the note a step down from the root note, can I play C7, D7, and G7?" - simple stuff I'm sure, but I felt like I was deciphering a secret language or something). So I also wanted to say thank you, this course has reignited my enjoyment of playing guitar and gotten me so excited to learn so much more than what I knew previously.

Thanks,
Connor

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 209
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Music Theory in parallel with the lessons? Also thank you :)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 11:59:28 am »
You can learn music theory any time, it doesn’t really matter where you are along the playing guitar course. It’s important to follow the structure of the theory course so that you don’t get overloaded, you will see where it’s relevant as you progress with your learning.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 12:02:02 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

As Darrell says - anytime, go for it.

I'd never seen the note circle before so when I did the lesson on it, it absolutely blew my mind. It was like a lightbulb coming on ...

This reinforces that message. :)

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 01:20:36 pm »
I started the music theory pretty early on, maybe three months. I am working on it slowly and go back and forth to it many times as I am going through the beginners course.

Interestingly, I feel the music theory information is relevant to wherever I am at the moment, so I think it is a good fit anywhere, perhaps especially as a parallel track with the mid-beginners course onwards.

It is also pretty nice if I just need a break from the F barre or something. Then off to music theory for a bit.

Super worth it already and I am not that far in yet. I am in the beginners course grade 2, module 11 and almost done with music theory 3.1 now, 8-9 months in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 10:33:29 pm »
Justin's Practical Music Theory is like a good Martini - any time any place anywhere.
If I was restarting the BC I would start PMT earlier than I did. And don't forget Justin's PMT is applied theory so you get a direct experience on the fretboard, unlike other music theory lessons/courses that have to be equated to the guitar.

My 2 cents

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 10:47:13 pm »
And like a good martini, partake often!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App