Author Topic: Strumming App for RUST Courses  (Read 389 times)

Offline Andrewjm

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Strumming App for RUST Courses
« on: September 06, 2021, 03:27:08 am »
Hi

I have both RUST 1 and 2, and I have worked through all of RUST 1.
One thing that I would like to add to my daily practice routine is a 5-10 minute strumming warm-up exercise.
Just strumming and switching up different patterns (8&16 strumming) with a metronome.
Either just single chord strumming patterns like the RUST videos or adding in chord changes would definitely be a bonus.

Can someone recommend that best way to do this with an app/metronome?
I know that Justin has just released the updated Lessons & Songs App, but I'm not sure if what I am looking for is included in the app update.
I am almost certainly going to buy the new app, anyway.

There are various apps in the Play Store - Guitar Strummer; 8Strummer; Minitar etc. but I haven't tested any of them yet, so if someone has a trusted recommendation for the best strumming app I'd also appreciate that.

Thank you
Andrew

Offline sclay

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Strumming App for RUST Courses
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 08:56:21 am »
Hi Andrew,

Others here much more experienced than I, but here's what I did/ continue to do.
I physically write out about 3-4, then whack on Justins Time Trainer app, which is great.

Cheers, Shane.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Andrewjm

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 01:36:07 am »
Thanks.

I printed out the books that go with the videos. I will strum 2 (or 4) bars of a pattern then switch to the next pattern for 2 or 4 bars and so on. And, using a metronome, too.
Writing them out like you mention is also a good idea.

Still, I wish there was a good strumming app.
And, I want to find a good scales app, too.
I hope Justin's team gets around to making these apps. I'd happily pay for them.

Andrew

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 14
Strumming App for RUST Courses
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 02:45:52 am »
I think practising the strumming with songs is much more effective and fun. There are so many songs that Justin has put up tutorials with various strumming styles and tempo, which I can’t even find enough time to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andrewjm

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 03:25:00 am »
Thanks.

i agree that learning the patterns with songs is better.
I am thinking more of an app for "strumming exercises." Like something that can be part of a warm-up practice routine (finger gym; major scale; strumming etc.).
Sort of like stretching before you go lift weights, or running.
And, if someone is having problem with the strumming pattern for a song, then they could use a strumming app to practice the pattern for a few minutes to build confidence and then go back to the song.
Everyone learns differently, and especially with something like the guitar there are an infinite number of possibilities and combinations and learning styles for balancing exercises, routines and playing songs.

Andrew

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 04:07:01 am »
It seem that it would be nice to have a simple app that let me set the strumming pattern, then would accent beats for practice. Especially for more difficult patterns that span several bars, or for complex 16ths and such.

But, there are ways without an app, apparently. Or so I am told…

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 07:21:28 am »
In my first 6 months of getting into guitar, I was thinking the same and did find an app which can somehow serve this purpose. But I used that app probabely only once and have deleted it, not remembering the name. At the same time, I discovered the Justin Beginner App which helped me GREATLY to get over that stage. Maybe you can use the strumming pattern of the app to do the warm up?

Offline OpsRes

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 11:52:54 am »
You could check out the app ReadRhythm on IOS. It seems to be designed more for drumminh or tapping but I've used it for muted strumming practice. You can set up the various RUST patterns in the app but you do have to be a bit familar with the various note timings - whole, half, quarter, eights, dotted, etc.
The app will tell you if you are missing strums or if you' too fast or too slow.

Good luck,
Glen

Get The Forum As A Mobile App