Author Topic: Help Tracking Down Fret Buzz  (Read 296 times)

Offline BlindFarmer

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Help Tracking Down Fret Buzz
« on: September 03, 2021, 12:45:58 pm »
Hello everyone. Question for you. I have a Les Paul Special 2 (player pack budget guitar). I like it just fine. The tuning on it is a bit creeky at the nut. It had whatever stock strings it came with and while tuning it a string creek’d then snapped. Ok, fine….doing some reading an upgraded nut could solve this. When I took the stock string off, the pladtic nut fell out, no big deal. However, while wiping the guitar down with guitar cleaning spray the two thumb screws must have been turned as well. Now, I have a new Graphtech tusq nut which fits well and measures extremely close to the pladtic nut using calipers. I now have a buzz only on my low E string. You can hear it while playing the Peter Gunn theme on frets 4 and 5 using a pick. I have feeler gauges that measure in SAE thousands on an inch and mm. I have hex wrenches if truss rod needs anything, and soft tip pliers if the thumb screws need any tweaking…so not to scratch them up. Having typed all of that, what is my plan of attack? Yes there are videos but I am not sure which ones are legit vs. some redneck tweakin’ stuff. I am not looking for some super low action, just want to get it close to factory spec. Thank you for the help.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Help Tracking Down Fret Buzz
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 09:38:23 pm »
I'm glad you're digging the electric.
I have expressed some critical comments about starter packs and the 'special' series but you're njoying it so all is good.

A broken string does not imply the need for a new nut at all.
It all depends where the string snapped.

At the nut - the slots would benefit from filing. But this is unlikely to be the location of a snap.
At the bridge / saddle - you may have a sharp metal edge that has worn a weakness in the string.
Along its length somewhere - metal fatigue from old age / play wear / over-tightening or simply bad manufacture.

Anyway - you now have a new nut.

Les Pauls have bridge assembly that completely come apart with little effort and bits fall off. It is extremely easy to accidentally mis-adjust the height of the thumb whell when changing things out. But you do not need a tool to adjust. You just loosen the strings a little. For buzz, you want to take the thumb wheel height on the one side only up a tiny amount. Start with a quarter turn to raise it. Maybe even just an eighth of a turn if the buzz is only slight. Retune. Check the low E string for buzz. Rinse and repeat.

Offline BlindFarmer

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 10:24:08 pm »
I'm glad you're digging the electric.
I have expressed some critical comments about starter packs and the 'special' series but you're njoying it so all is good.

A broken string does not imply the need for a new nut at all.
It all depends where the string snapped.

At the nut - the slots would benefit from filing. But this is unlikely to be the location of a snap.
At the bridge / saddle - you may have a sharp metal edge that has worn a weakness in the string.
Along its length somewhere - metal fatigue from old age / play wear / over-tightening or simply bad manufacture.

Anyway - you now have a new nut.

Les Pauls have bridge assembly that completely come apart with little effort and bits fall off. It is extremely easy to accidentally mis-adjust the height of the thumb whell when changing things out. But you do not need a tool to adjust. You just loosen the strings a little. For buzz, you want to take the thumb wheel height on the one side only up a tiny amount. Start with a quarter turn to raise it. Maybe even just an eighth of a turn if the buzz is only slight. Retune. Check the low E string for buzz. Rinse and repeat.

Thank you. That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Many videos have you filing this, flattening frets, reshaping frets, etc. I thought that was extreme for a new nut and string change. The low E buzz is much better now thus I can play Peter Gunn again. LOL I thought it had to be simple as nothing changed. The string broke at the machine head. I was adjusting tune before a lesson….creek…snap. Tuning is much smoother now with the new nut.

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 01:23:56 am »
Thank you. That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Many videos have you filing this, flattening frets, reshaping frets, etc. I thought that was extreme for a new nut and string change. The low E buzz is much better now thus I can play Peter Gunn again. LOL I thought it had to be simple as nothing changed. The string broke at the machine head. I was adjusting tune before a lesson….creek…snap. Tuning is much smoother now with the new nut.
Remember to start tightening the thicker strings first. Neglecting that was how I broke a string the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App