Author Topic: What do you reckon to having 'encores' at OM events? Yay or Nay?  (Read 980 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: What do you reckon to having 'encores' at OM events? Yay or Nay?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 04:32:28 pm »
Hi David

Well for starters all the guitars are still here but my daughter has a full basket at Thomann and a nice Ibanez LP clone but has to prioritise for now. No way was she leaving with Smokey or Cherry !!

Waiting for a Friend was first of the 2 pre - Diary chapters and the first play/sing combo recording and also the song I chose for the live stream, it'll be in AOVYP somewhere but here's the YT link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzOpP0xRbk

I then did Streets of London and that gave me the confidence to launch the Madman's Diaries going forward.

Well the other thing I did not mention in the above post, was also the object to not only play and sing these on a rolling basis but also do it standing !! I am not worrying about amp setting or such like but decided last night that one of the Washburn HBs would give me enough sound acoustically to work with, while building the repertoire.

So my latest discovery ? Well singing and playing is hard as we know but it would seem doing it all standing up is quite a challenge as well. Managed the first four in yesterday's evening session and boy did they suck. All the more reason to work at the routine and at the right time introduce amplification and dancing pedals.

Anyway time to consider OM4 and what the heck I'll do for that !

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Yeah, Toby, I figured your guitar collection would not have been reduced  ;D

Now I remember the song watching the video again. And also understand why I didn't remember. That title has me thinking Rolling Stones and Tattoo You, rather than The Pretty Reckless. Watched a Netflix documentary about them but don't know their albums or songs.

Sure you'll figure out a couple of songs to play and nothing wrong in performing songs shared in the Diary but not yet at an PM  ;)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 183
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2021, 06:19:11 pm »
There are probably a couple of different ways to always be ready. Therein lies the question, ready for what? My answer is interestingly enough (or not), "Anything." Having a full scale repertoire is a bit like having luggage, convenient when needed but cumbersome to store and not something all that useful for every day use.

The way that I hear "Learn songs" here, I keep thinking learn progressions, which are the building blocks toward "Anything" and everything. Anything is a huge canvas, but learning progressions plays into the old 80-20 game. Which takes me to my I-IV-V, 12 bar blues (and such) soapbox and being able to transpose, improvise, comp, and maybe even play some requests off the cuff.   

So for me, and I am not someone worthy of being a model for anyone to follow, having 2-3 songs that you have so engrained in your brain and under your fingers that you can play them in a heartbeat makes good sense. Kind of like a wallet versus actual 10+ song "Luggage." My wallet was empty for an encore, or the old, "I see you have a guitar, can you play something?" scenario. That's when you hypothetically remember that they like Fleetwood Mac and you trot out the 2 chord wonder of a song, "Dreams." If there's a singer or another guitar player close at hand, magic will happen.       

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 06:47:55 pm »
... That's when you hypothetically remember that they like Fleetwood Mac and you trot out the 2 chord wonder of a song, "Dreams." If there's a singer or another guitar player close at hand, magic will happen.     

I smiled to myself.
Out for a meal in a country pub with friends a few weeks ago, I took a guitar from the wall (we were the only customers still there) and the barmaid asked for Dreams. Blow me down, I couldn't remember the blooming thing ... F and G? I knew there was an Fadd9 or some such in there. Didn't sound right at all haha. Mind, I had drunk more than one sherbet by then. I moved on and played a A, D, E rock n roll medley then some Bob Dylan of course!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 183
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2021, 10:16:58 pm »
I smiled to myself.
Out for a meal in a country pub with friends a few weeks ago, I took a guitar from the wall (we were the only customers still there) and the barmaid asked for Dreams. Blow me down, I couldn't remember the blooming thing ... F and G? I knew there was an Fadd9 or some such in there. Didn't sound right at all haha. Mind, I had drunk more than one sherbet by then. I moved on and played a A, D, E rock n roll medley then some Bob Dylan of course!
Haha! Yes sir, Fmaj7 and the same shape slides up to G with that open high E still ringing. Don't get fancy, just two chords for the whole dang song, who are you looking to impress anyway? Rip off some lead chops in the key of C major if another guitar player is hanging with you. Triads and muted power chords are fair game too. Good times!

I-IV-V some Bobby D? Make my frosty punch a double please. LOL 

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2021, 06:05:50 am »
Haha! Yes sir, Fmaj7 and the same shape slides up to G with that open high E still ringing.

I love that movement, Clint. I am working at One and eventually found myself playing that change in the verse that way. Sounds so good. One day I will be able to fit the words over the playing.

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2021, 06:00:33 pm »
You hit the nail on the head their Toby...something I did for a long long time...learning a new song, dedicating days, weeks to it, getting a great recording AND then moving on and forgetting it. I've definitely forgotten more songs than I remember and even as a band we've tried some songs out, played them for a few weeks and then moved on. I think it's pretty natural BUT settling on that 10-15 songs as a set is a good idea. Every 3 songs is roughly 15 minutes and 12 songs will give you an hours play which is just right for a support act to a another band. Writing it down is critical so you come back to those you tend to neglect.

Jason

I am finding Setlist Helper a big eh ? help and have 3 standard lists over and above the OMs ( done and todo). Songs To Learn for Gigs, Playable for Gigs (which is this list at the moment) and Should It Ever Happen which is those I can and those I would like to do (kinda Playable/Learn fusion).

I got through 13 of 14 yesterday with varying degrees of success and could pick about 6 that would work off the bat. Another few need some work and 2 that were originally multi track projects are a challenge doing them as one take. But those two have syncopation challenges between the guitar and vocals. So its proving to be a good exercise in not only performing a dozen or so songs back to back, singing them, plus ironing out some issues.

When I get better fluidity I'll revisit, as there are a couple I would probably drop if I ever went live live and there will be more to add to that list. Thinking beer, courtyard, acoustic, tablet/setlist and a couple of hours on a sunny evening but for now its just a practice routine. But it will give me encore options, which is where this thread started.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 189
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2021, 11:23:44 pm »
I think you're not overthinking or pushing it.
As for Roberto and his short songs; he sure could squeeze in another one! :D

I think it's perhaps best to let the MC decide based on time on the slot.
Does he go in interview mode to ask a few questions?
does he request another song?
etc.

The end result sohuld be a varied show for all and based on time and the assessment by the MC of the artists and his/her material, he could decide how to fill in some flavours?

my 2 cents: Encores sure are an option

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty
 | My solo act:  website: Devil's Advocate

Get The Forum As A Mobile App