Author Topic: Don't Stray from the Path Too Much, Justin's Course Works!  (Read 2369 times)

Offline stackpop

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
Don't Stray from the Path Too Much, Justin's Course Works!
« on: August 17, 2021, 11:29:33 pm »
TL:DR - preaching to the choir, but stick with Justin, his program and logical order are the best.

Oh my gosh... I bought some guitar cleaning products that came with a free trial to one of the paid lesson services that Justin's website is often compared to. I won't mention which one but because there is no need to be inflammatory, but they're probably one of the more popular services... Anyway, I thought to myself, what could a free trial hurt? It's free! And tried it out.

I have to say, although the lessons themselves were polished and fun, the learning path was disastrous. Lesson 1 taught the C chord and the G/B chord... But gave no indication on how to practice or what to do with them. Lesson 2 said, did you master those chords yet? If not, go back and practice, but with no guidance of what "mastery" means. If you are paying a monthly fee, who wants to spend days on one lesson with no guidance? I'm sure many people would move on before they're ready. Lesson 3 taught hybrid picking (I figured it out but probably not suitable for someone who's only played a few weeks?). A few more lessons and I know some triads, new slash chords, and Travis picking.

So yeah, all these techniques are more "advanced" and the course is "faster paced" than Justin's beginner course, but I have no idea how to apply any of this new information, and I certainly haven't learned new songs. Going to say Justin's approach is technically "slower" but overall I think it's a lot better because he has you playing real songs almost day 1. Everything is set logically and builds in what you have learned. This other approach reminded me of when I was in high school and learned random techniques and bits of songs from guitar magazines but never figured out how to really cement any of it together or have a working musical knowledge.

I'm certainly not saying to never check out other lessons or guitar you tubers, but that Justin's plan is the best and I think not straying too far from his program, at least in the beginning stages, will give you the best results.

Sent from my Pixel XL using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Epiphone Sheraton II, Noname Tele, Marshall MG30DFX

Working on the beginner course after over a decade hiatus :)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Don't Stray from the Path Too Much, Justin's Course Works!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 11:38:42 pm »
Thanks for saying this out loud from your own experience Stackpop.

:)

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 211
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 11:50:13 pm »
You got it right there Trish, so many people go down the paid route because they (wrongly) think it’s going to be better.
Quote “ I won't mention which one but because there is no need to be inflammatory, but they're probably one of the more popular services...” It doesn’t matter really because I doubt that they hold onto their popularity with beginners for very long, if what you’ve described is the case then my guess is that they’re the cause of a lot of beginners giving up!

Offline stackpop

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 11:59:47 pm »
Oh totally... giving up early or practicing for years without much to show and then giving up! Their service might be good for more advanced students who know what to look for, but as an absolute beginner it seems like a painful way to learn.

Sent from my Pixel XL using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Epiphone Sheraton II, Noname Tele, Marshall MG30DFX

Working on the beginner course after over a decade hiatus :)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 193
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 12:15:47 am »
I think you summarized a lot of how I look to it as well.

Many young/new guitarists want to get "good and fast, fast!".
Truth is, the first few months were, looking back at my own guitar career, the months where I learned the most. And that's natural because that is what it FEELS like;
You learn foundations that need to be solid. You rely on them every day!

I never ventured out far because I found it hard already keeping up with Justin and his new material all the time :) | The times I do, turn out I'm learning from friends/respected artists of J.
There are certainly good ones out there but you'll never hear them say:
"This is how you get fast soon!" etc :p

What you describe is one of the factors that makes me feel safe here. (among some others)
So I fortified the "home" into "my homebase" :D
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty
 | My solo act:  website: Devil's Advocate

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 07:18:32 am »
Well said, Trish. Exactly how I describe learning guitar using JustinGuitar, which I recommend to any colleague who even hints and wanting to learn.

Is JustinGuitar the best? I tend to stay away from absolute superlatives. Maybe there are other teachers and programmes out there. But what I can say is that there's no doubt that Justin's programme delivers, if you follow the programme. It's tried and tested with so many folk here in the Forum to confirm based on their personal experiences.

And of course there is The Forum. Do other programmes come with a community of students that help and encourage each other, with moderators like Lieven and Richard, who are IMHO tantamount to Justin's assistant teachers based on all the feedback, support, and education they provide.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 07:20:58 am »
Trish

Sounds like most of the books and video I bought in the past and why I kept crashing and burning and getting nowhere. Even when I restarted again after retiring and buying a certain For Dummies course book, it was similar was a story. Some application but bouncing around all over the place. I persevered with it because I was determine not to fail but stumbled on Justin's old BC and it was a revelation. The structure and as Lieven said, foundation building just made so much sense and I knew I had found what I'd been looking for for decades.

What's that old saying, buyer beware.

Cheers

Toby
 8) 
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Online skeldol

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 08:54:20 am »
I agree.  I tried the paid route (Paid for a full year) of a very popular site and jacked it in after 3 months for Justin's course.  He excels at keeping things interesting and great guidance on HOW to learn.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 09:02:46 am »
As part of one of my purchases last year I got a 3 month trial to the very newly launched "popular guitar brand beginning with F" lessons series. It looks slick and it's clearly had a lot of money on it but it seems to fall between trying to teach you how to play rhythm and lead at the same time...not really succeeding with either. So you see interesting "lessons" like learn the solo to xxx song...and as it's in the beginner section it's a tiny part of the solo (not that it's absolutely right to be learning solo's at that point anyway imho). It just felt very disjointed....but that's probably because of the way it's been put together. What I liked and like about Justin's courses is I just focus on a small chunk at a time and add to it. Most of the time with some practice that chunk of the course/lesson is pitched at the right level at that point so you've got a chance with practice of learning it. It worked for me, it seems to work for others BUT obviously some will find other routes work best for them. For "free" you can't beat it.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 09:10:08 am »
For "free" you can't beat it.

Probably appropriate at this point to reiterate Justin's approach to make payment voluntary based on individual circumstances.

Personally, I set up a monthly donation of an amount I could afford, when I was working through the BC. Since then I've purchased the Solo Blues and Strumming Techniques courses, and haven't re-setup a monthly donation after he changed the way it was done.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 09:55:58 am »
Good points made David.

As Justin writes on the Donations Page

"I don’t charge for my lessons because I know that not everyone can afford them. By donating, you help provide the very best guitar education to people from all walks of life, all over the world."

On another page Justin also writes:

"JUSTINGUITAR - TEACHING THE WORLD TO PLAY. SINCE 2003.
I started JustinGuitar.com in hotel rooms while I was touring the world back in the day. Today, we're a dedicated team that believes in generosity, gratitude and paying it forward.
Our Mission. Dreams are universal, but opportunities are not. We believe that every person in the world should have access to the very best guitar education. Our mission is to make that possible!
Our Values. We provide a safe, open, and inclusive learning environment. We work together to build your confidence and musicianship. We believe in quality and innovation, and we do everything to the best of our ability and with passion.
At JustinGuitar, we treat each other as people and with respect. We believe that learning should be fun, and we're here to share our love of music. Living and learning with discipline and an enquiring mind lead to happiness. Together, we can make the world a better place."

Online skeldol

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 10:03:47 am »
Probably appropriate at this point to reiterate Justin's approach to make payment voluntary based on individual circumstances.

Personally, I set up a monthly donation of an amount I could afford, when I was working through the BC. Since then I've purchased the Solo Blues and Strumming Techniques courses, and haven't re-setup a monthly donation after he changed the way it was done.
Good point.  I've been donating yearly what I would have paid to the other site.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 10:48:18 am »

Agreed David which is why I put it in quotes....and there are plenty of ways to donate.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App