Author Topic: Suggestion regarding Justin's translation on Amara  (Read 990 times)

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
Suggestion regarding Justin's translation on Amara
« on: July 23, 2021, 01:15:54 am »
Not sure who will see it but I'll be looking towards Richard and Lieven here for perhaps some action.

After Justin's recent newsletter and Social Media posts about looking for volunteers to help with translations through Amara I decided to jump straight into it as a form of saying thanks to Justin.

Now while doing first few videos I thought Amara has its advantages and is an appropriate tool to use for this big task of translating Justin's videos to multiple languages.

However after doing now I think video number 4 I started to think about those little things that will make all of this more professional. So there are many abbrevations or vocabular shortcuts Justin uses, like one minute changes, anchor point or even famous how you doin? I think it would be wise if all translators in each language would assume same terms in their mother tongue for each phrase. And that's where Amara is lacking a bit - there is no way of communicating between translators!

And finally a suggestion you might think after all of this text above - I would suggest to whoever runs the show to create perhaps a Discord group which should be free as far as I know, where translators could talk and discuss translations. In main Discord channel create a subchannel for each language and translators can easily talk between each other. In each subchannel you can create a little glossary so if someone new tags along they can open it up and not wonder in which out of 100 possible ways they should translate How you doin?

Food for thought really, let me know your thoughts mods :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
Re: Suggestion regarding Justin's translation on Amara
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 06:40:02 am »
Good suggestions Adrian. Thanks for sharing your language skills with Justin's Polish students, a great way to pay it forward. Vibes to you.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 09:00:09 am »
Adrian - many thanks for adopting the pay-it-forward JG spirit and giving your time to this.

Lieven and I have no involvement in organising this though you raise interesting points so of course I will alert Justin and a few team members to your post.

Cheers
Richard
:)

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 10:00:26 am »
Adrian - many thanks for adopting the pay-it-forward JG spirit and giving your time to this.

Lieven and I have no involvement in organising this though you raise interesting points so of course I will alert Justin and a few team members to your post.

Cheers
Richard
I thought so however I know you and Lieven know people who knows people so hopefully someone will take a note and if not at least I tried

Keep on rockin' my friends

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 09:15:20 pm »
I have passed it on ... news when it comes in.
Thanks Adi.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App