Author Topic: Fretting hand slow, stiff and achey  (Read 119 times)

Online mopar

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Fretting hand slow, stiff and achey
« on: July 20, 2021, 02:51:27 pm »
So after taking a day off yesterday (I've been doing 40 - 60 mins practice per day broken down into 20 mins sessions), today the area across the back of my thumb and forefinger is stiff and achey.

Doing my basic practice session today was a bit of a disaster as my hand just couldn't get into position smoothly.

Do I need to ease off a bit and let my hand recover, or is this something to push through?  Prior experience in sports tells me it's the former.

I've attached a couple of pics of my D-Chord (as that is the one I struggle with most) positioning, would appreciate it if anyone could cast an eye over them to make sure my technique is not contributing to my hand pain.

Thanks

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 208
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: Fretting hand slow, stiff and achey
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 03:11:37 pm »
Mopar

Listen to your body and that inner Doctor who has already given you the advice you need ! If you've not been playing that long I'd ease up on that schedule a little but try some light work for a few days. You are using and maybe abusing muscles, either not used or used differently so they need to adjust. If they are complaining there's a reason behind it. Back in my early BC days the muscle between thumb and index would go into spasm and cramp up when I'd been pushing. Couple of light days and you'll be good.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 04:01:54 pm »
I went through a few periods of thumb and wrist pain (so far).

The worst for me was the first month of F cord.

Do take a rest.

What I did during my rest was to concentrate on right handed activities for a bit, like strumming, timing and rhythm, which I sorely needed anyway.

I have also used times like that to start the Music theory course and get a few basic finger picking patterns started.

Also, consider looking ahead at Justin’s lesson on the barre cords and F cord. Not to start those cords yet, but he has some good information on mechanics of the fretting hand there that also apply to earlier cords. It helped me learn to squeeze less between the thumb and fingers.

Oh, and stretch, stretch, stretch your hand. Lots of online information on stretching exercises for guitar players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online mopar

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 08:20:37 am »
Thanks guys.  Yes I'm going to take today off completely (if I can, guitar is right next to me in the office so it's always tempting to pick it up) and then I shall do a few days of right hand focussed practice as Jamolay suggests.

I was clearly getting cocky as I never experienced any finger-tip pain so assumed I was invincible!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App