Author Topic: Tears in the Rain  (Read 313 times)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
Tears in the Rain
« on: July 18, 2021, 05:26:39 pm »

Such a beautiful song - it's a work in progress, but after practicing it for about a month, 5 - 30 minutes a day (in 5 - 10 minutes slots), I'm just going to see incremental progress from now on until I can play it all the way through cleanly. I can actually play all of the bits through cleanly - just not all at the same time in 1 play through!

Apart from using Justin's lesson to learn the song (and Carl's lesson from GuitarLessons365), I also watched through about 40 covers on YouTube. A couple of them played in a classical guitar position (although not playing a classical guitar), so I decided to try that. Never played like that before, and my guitar kept slipping as well, but it helped a lot with the giant chord stretch. I also saw a piano cover of the song and that inspired me to try the piece on piano as well. It's a whole lot easier on the piano!!!! And that's from me very rarely playing the piano any more (which explains the heavy handed playing lol). It did reignite my interest in playing piano, though. Great - 1 more thing I won't have time for :)

Definitely a work in progress - I'll be back with a final cover ... eventually ...

A piano cover

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 158
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Tears in the Rain
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 07:35:22 pm »
Hi Mari,
Impressive play on both instruments. Maybe a tad too classical for me. But my wife drug me to the concert hall a bunch, so I was able to take it in. That takes nothing away from your play, stretching and demonstrated ability to do some fine fingerwork and a great job on this! I don't hear a lot out of line, so to me your pretty close on this one!

Keep up the mellow vibe!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 382
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 06:43:46 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed your performance on both instruments, Mari. A lovely piece that looks pretty challenging on both instruments, not that I know enough to judge on the piano (my ability on piano goes no further than playing the major scale in the 7 natural note keys and picking out the melodies of my vocal course exercises). On the guitar there sure where some stretchy chords and lots of movement.

Liked the video production choice you made, worked really well.

If this is work in progress then I look forward to a future rendition, cause it sounded pretty fluent to me already.

Bravo

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 08:37:38 am »
Hi,

Great cover of a very atypical Joe Satriani tune! I really like this song as well, and can remember learning it back when I was a teenager. It contains some very challenging stretches and chord changes, so well done getting it all down! Whenever I pick up a nylon string I always play the first few passages from this tune, but over the years I've forgotten how it really goes. This inspires me to pick it up once more and re-learn it :)

Cheers,
Kasper

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 08:40:12 am »
Both lovely Mari. LB picks out a classical feel and I can see why as the music does have something of an etude to it. And a stretchy one at that. Bravo. :)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 08:46:28 am »
Hi Mari. I agree with the others. If this is a work in progress you must be pretty close to a final version. Great fingerstyle playing and just watching some of those stretchy chord shapes made my fingers sore! And what a lovely tune.
Interesting that you used the classical guitar hold position. I must have a go at that although my dreadnaught size guitar is a bit big for that I think.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 208
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 01:17:29 pm »
Absolutely beautiful Mari and a new one for my ears. Boy there are some huge spans going on in that piece, what a work out! Both recordings wonderfully played. Heavy handed piano ? Yeah right !!

Always appreciate something a little different. Thank you.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 02:26:56 pm »
There are some crazy stretches going on  :o

Very impressed, nicely done.
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 01:45:21 am »
Well fabulous performance Mari, it looked to me that piano was a lot easier for you but I can't blame you, stretches were really difficult by the looks of it! My brother as a little boy learnt a bit of classical guitar so I am well familiar with the pose, I remember he had a little step underneath the left foot so he kept his posture more elegant so to speak (sounds funny from electric and acoustic kind of guy chair!).

Song is unknown to me but I do like to listen to this sort of time from time to time. This one reminded me of Una Mattina track from a great movie Intouchables. Whenever I look for a piano song how to play it over the guitar I get discouraged quite quicky so another well done on perseverance! All the best Mari! :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 176
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 01:57:34 am »
Really nice, Mari! Super stretchy and movable chords. Your playing sounded clean and clear. Well done, and very moving.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 187
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 08:50:37 pm »
Very interesting; a song on 2 different instruments.
That will probably create some interesting connections in your brain!

Well played on both btw ;)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 06:42:41 am »
Hi Mari that was great!  I know this tune well and it's not easy.  You played it beautifully!   8).  Haven't listened to the key version yet but i will.  Such a mysterious little song, thanks for posting this.   Your fingerpicking is sooo good. 8)
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 01:40:51 pm »
Hi Mari that was very nice indeed and sounded quite technical...I suspect the sort of song you can lose yourself in whilst playing. Something different from the norm and very pleasant to listen to.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 03:24:42 pm »
Quite impressive, Mari and on two instruments. It is a beautiful song. I read a comment on YouTube that said that playing these chord changes take you to another lever of guitar playing. I agree. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 10:52:49 pm »
Thank you everybody for the listen and the comments, very much appreciated :)

LBro - Joe Satriani is a Rock instrumentalist, but I also got a very classical feel from this song from the first time I heard it. I took classical piano for many years so I do enjoy classical music, but my tastes always did go much more towards this more romantic style than what I saw as the more rigidly technical pieces. Glad you could step outside your usual zone to take this one in.

David - the piano on this is not actually that difficult since it's all single notes, and all in 8th note timing (although the tempo breathes much more than that in the playing). I'm hoping to teach it to Krista after we finish a guitar tune she's learning, and she is very much a beginner pianist. And this is for sure a work in progress - I am definitely happy with how I can play it right now relative to the starting point, but I am not yet satisfied, there is room for improvement!

Kasper - thank you! I always look forward to your posts, you play so well, so thank you for listening :) Re playing the first few passages whenever you pick up a nylon string, I think this will now be one of my 'go to' songs when I'm 'browsing' in the guitar store and of course have to try out a few :)

Richard - stretchy for sure! I also agree there's an etude feel to it, it's a good technical study, but I thought it's much better than the piano studies I always found rather uninspiring because this piece is one that really needs to breathe rather than just be played mechanically in hopes of showing off any technical skills (ha ha). I like how Justin gives a bunch of time at the end of his lesson to talking about just that – and also to saying that you can use that to help you with the complicated bits – you can slow down for the change and make it part of your interpretation of the piece.

Gordon – this piece does make my hand sore, I had to practice it in short intervals! The classical guitar position is not how I’ve ever played but a few people play the piece like that on the YouTube videos I watched and it struck me that that could make the first killer chord much easier to play – and it did!

Toby – thank you, and thank you for the piano smile 😊 I feel like guitar is my instrument now but it’s nice to be able to play a bit on the keys.

Sweed – yes there are definitely some crazy stretches going on! Lol when I broke it down though – after I’d been working on it for awhile and was getting a lot of them – as it turned out there were really only 2 killer bits. And the one chord change in particular is very much slowed down -  it needed to breathe a lot!

Adi – piano was definitely a lot easier for this piece, the difficulty level is nowhere near the guitar. I really liked the piano cover I saw though and was glad to give it a try. We also do have one of those little steps for guitar at home for some reason so I do have my left foot up on a step as well. I will have to check out the track you reference, I’m not familiar with it.

Clint – thanks Clint. I’m going for ‘moving’ over ‘perfect’ these days – hence the Beethoven quote - so am glad that that's the part you hear :)

Lieven – interesting connections indeed! What I found was that playing it on piano gave me some very different ideas on the timing and breath of the song, and although I didn’t try to connect the guitar playing to the movement of the piano playing, overall I found kind of a deeper connection to the music by playing a guitar instrumental on the piano!

Alex – would love to hear you play this one, Alex! And that is a superb description – ‘ a mysterious little song’ 😊

Jason – it was definitely technical, and definitely a piece to lose yourself in by practicing the same couple of bars over and over and over. I’m not at all tired of the song though – that’s a good sign!

Pam – thanks for listening and your comment. I really feel that we can all get where we’re going in our guitar journeys if we make the time for it 😊

Thanks everyone 😊

Mari
“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 12:11:28 am »
Here are those links Mari, normally I wouldn't post it but after seeing your video I looked for a guitar version and there it was :) original first.

https://youtu.be/j1Ck42-_btY

https://youtu.be/PcL1fGqFc-M

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:53:00 am »
Mari, that was a joy to listen to and watch. I knew you played keys but didn’t realize you were so accomplished. But your finger style guitar playing leaves me in awe. Very nice performance on both instruments. A truly enjoyable listen.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Get The Forum As A Mobile App