Author Topic: The new App is fantastic!  (Read 544 times)

Offline Jeff68

• Good Vibes 0
The new App is fantastic!
« on: July 13, 2021, 01:39:13 pm »
It seems as though the final version of the new App has rolled out. I read there about the displeasures with some beta versions, so I thought it deserved its own thread. Wow! What an upgrade! Seems to follow the web lessons closer. Integrates practice sessions better. Best of all the songs are a HUGE improvement in sound quality. The singing with on/off option is really nice too. Much better than the Midi (I think) tones in place of words. Lots more songs included too. I previously had subscription auto renewal set to off, but I think it now may be worth continued subscription even once I've  mastered these lessons.

Well done Team!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: The new App is fantastic!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 03:56:41 pm »
Hi Jeff.

your praise and positivity will be music to their ears.
Please leave a review on the app store too.
Cheers
Richard
:)

Offline mynoud

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 02:59:31 pm »
I registered in the forum to give my opinion about the new final version of the App.

I played a little bit of the old app and after 2 weeks playing with the new one, I would never go back to the old app. The new app is MUCH better. I'm having a lot of fun with my yearly subscription.

- The visuals when playing songs are much better and more clear.
- It works really great with the Bluestack android emulator on my PC. It's so much fun to play on a big computer screen.
- Playing with the voices and the improved sound quality is AWESOME. It's much more fun and engaging than the old app piano sound.

Thanks to Justin and the software developers. Continue your good work and making improvements to the app.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:39:45 pm by mynoud »

Offline glennzo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 10:59:08 pm »
Good
-lessons updated to match website
-songs have better, more realistic recordings
-you can turn off the vocals (which can be awful e.g. Back in Black)
-easier to follow the beats playing along

Not so good
-interface is awkward in places
-scrolling down the list of songs, it can easily flip to another tab (very annoying)
-more songs apparently, but a lot of filler (yes that is subjective)
-progress rating for playing songs has been removed

Could be better
-song play along window should be larger so that it's easier to see upcoming chords

Offline SammyWI

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 12:27:11 am »
I just got the new app and just had a bit of time with the songs.  My initial impression is that this will take some getting used to but I think I will like it overall. 
Good
It is more engaging to play along with though perhaps harder in some ways if that makes sense.  Likely to improve my playing overall I think.  Found a couple of songs I've been wanting for a while so that's great.

Weird
The picture for the A chord is not the way the Justin teaches it but the tab shown is the way Justin does it.
The tempo of the songs I tried seem a little faster than the old app (both at 100%).  Could easily be my imagination.

Bad
One of the easier songs that I liked to play (Down on the Corner by CCR) now has completely different chords (now C G F vs A D).  I sure the new app is more accurate but it sucks losing one of my favorites.  I'll be learning it the new way but it's definitely going to be harder.  Would love it if both versions were available.

Still need more time on this to really judge but I'm hopeful that I'll like the change in the long run.

Edit: forgot to add some things on what others posted.  I'm using it on Bluestacks emulator which works well so far.  But I have not been able to get it to turn to horizontal mode yet. (it's fine on my phone.)  Also I have noticed that the side swiping is very sensitive and often will swipe to a new tab when I'm just trying to scroll or even when I tap on the search.  This is minor thing. 

Offline EddiePetty

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 03:22:18 am »
Oh man, waiting to get this update on iOS.  Still don't see it.

:(

Offline glennzo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 03:31:00 pm »
Bad
One of the easier songs that I liked to play (Down on the Corner by CCR) now has completely different chords (now C G F vs A D).  I sure the new app is more accurate but it sucks losing one of my favorites.  I'll be learning it the new way but it's definitely going to be harder.  Would love it if both versions were available.

Still need more time on this to really judge but I'm hopeful that I'll like the change in the long run.

Edit: forgot to add some things on what others posted.  I'm using it on Bluestacks emulator which works well so far.  But I have not been able to get it to turn to horizontal mode yet. (it's fine on my phone.)  Also I have noticed that the side swiping is very sensitive and often will swipe to a new tab when I'm just trying to scroll or even when I tap on the search.  This is minor thing.
I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing the side swiping sensitivity, it is relatively minor, but annoying.
It's also a bit annoying that the app will switch back to portrait after finishing a song or watching a video.

There does seem to be some songs that have altered or different chords now.
If it's closer to the actual song, then I'm okay with that.

As I move towards learning some proper strumming patterns, it would be great if there was an option on  song playback that could incorporate the strumming on each bar, not just the single down strum.
That can go on the wishlist I guess.

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 12
The new App is fantastic!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 12:40:03 am »
I just got the new app and just had a bit of time with the songs. 
Bad

Down on the Corner by CCR original chords are C G F. The old app maybe lower the pitch for easier singing along, or for beginners who have not learned F chord. The new app is not available to me yet, so I don’t know whether it supports transpose and capo, if yes, you can transpose the chords back to A E D and put a capo at 3rd fret to match the key.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SammyWI

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 04:39:07 pm »
....The new app is not available to me yet, so I don’t know whether it supports transpose and capo, if yes, you can transpose the chords back to A E D and put a capo at 3rd fret to match the key.
That's a good idea, but I don't think the new app supports that.  At least not that I can find.  Oddly in the chords section for Down on the Corner the tab shows a full barre F but the fingering picture shows Fmaj7.  An obvious simplification I guess but it's odd when hey don't match.  I have given this song a few tries now with C G F and while harder it is good practice for my weaker chords.  And more doable with the Fmaj7.

A few more thoughts on the new app:  The vocals switch tends to be right in the way of seeing the first chord.  Not an issue when there is a longer play in but annoying when it's shorter.  A way to start a song over without exiting and reselecting the song would be great (the old app didn't have that either so more of feature request).  The vocals are interesting.  Definitely gives a feeling of a real band with often a better feel but also harder to play with (I mean that in a mostly good way).  But with some of the songs the vocals are not a good match.  I don't want to say 'bad' but they sometimes just don't go together well with the song.  Now, every one of them sings better than I can.  And with the huge range of styles and many iconic original singers I think it's amazing how many of the vocal tracks work well.  But on those that don't I find myself missing the old MIDI tones for the vocals as an option.  Or maybe a way to adjust the volume of the vocals relative to the rest of the band would be a great option.  The off switch is a good thing here but I'd love more options.

Offline EddiePetty

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 03:01:02 am »
Do people have it on iOS in the US? or is it just Android so far?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:08 am »
The iOS release of the update will happen soon and when it does, because of hthe way the apple store works, it will be global all at once with no stagger in the release.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App