Author Topic: Confused - can you help  (Read 202 times)

Offline Craig H

• Good Vibes 0
Confused - can you help
« on: July 11, 2021, 11:39:44 am »
So this whole Scales thing has me slightly baffled. I think I 'get' that playing the C major scale starting from fret 3 string 5 goes through the notes in the C major scale. I think I also understand that playing that same pattern but starting from a root on the low E gives me a corresponding scale? But, I'm confused over the different scale shapes and boxes. Is there anywhere on the site that can help me understand this as it feels like a major blocker at the moment.

Cheers

Offline skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Confused - can you help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 12:31:37 pm »
So this whole Scales thing has me slightly baffled. I think I 'get' that playing the C major scale starting from fret 3 string 5 goes through the notes in the C major scale. I think I also understand that playing that same pattern but starting from a root on the low E gives me a corresponding scale? But, I'm confused over the different scale shapes and boxes. Is there anywhere on the site that can help me understand this as it feels like a major blocker at the moment.

Cheers

Each pattern has root notes in different positions.

If you look at the minor pentatonic scale pattern 1 here (https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/minor-pentatonic-pattern-1-bl-402) you will see one of it's roots is on the 6th string.  That's great if I'm at fret 5 where I have an A on the 6th string but suppose I'm over on the 7th fret & want to play the a minor there?  Well if you look at pattern 2( https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/minor-pentatonic-pattern-2-bl-407) it has a root note on the 4th string, fret 7 on the 4th string is an A.    Finally imagine I'm all the way over on fret 12!! Well pattern 4 (https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/minor-pentatonic-pattern-4-bl-605) has a root note on the 5th string, The 5th string on the 12th fret is an A.

So as you say you can move a single pattern up and down the neck to move between scales but if you want the same scale at different points on the neck you need different patterns.

I've been learning to solo blues for around 8 months.  Only recently have I bothered to learn all 5 pentatonic patterns.  I used pattern 1 for the first 8 months but I'm enjoying the ability to play my A minor licks all over the fretboard to the A minor backing track, it's adds more interest to the soloing.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 12:47:31 pm »
Hi Craig. Welcome to the forum.
I see from your previous post:

... ... I first picked up a guitar last May ... I am able to play all of the open chords ... I know and can play ... Sus chords, add9 chords etc ... with a bit more effort ... I can also play E shaped barre chords but can’t yet move to them easily ... I know a few riffs and songs ... I ... practice between 1/2 and 1 hour per day.

That sort of progress is totally fine, normal and regular for a year in to the beginner path.
Around about module 9 I am guessing.

Now on to this ...
... this whole Scales thing has me slightly baffled.
You should only have learned the E minor pentatonic and the C major scales up to now.

And to be blunt at this stage you do not want, need or have to learn any more scales. Not any at this stage. You have more than enough to be going on with. Justin will revisit both the E minor pentatonic and the C major scale in the beginner course and show you how you can use them and make music using just them.

More will come later so do not rush on ahead.

I think I 'get' that playing the C major scale starting from fret 3 string 5 goes through the notes in the C major scale.
Yes it does.

I think I also understand that playing that same pattern but starting from a root on the low E gives me a corresponding scale?

No it doesn't.
And don't worry about the fact that it doesn't - not for now.

But, I'm confused over the different scale shapes and boxes. Is there anywhere on the site that can help me understand this as it feels like a major blocker at the moment.
Justin teaches many scales in many positions and it will all come in good time.
Please do not go chasing after scale patterns to the detriment of learning to play chords, chord changes, songs and all the fundamentals.
Because I want to impress this on you so strongly I am not even going to link to the areas on the website where Justin teaches more.
You will thank me later.
This is just a bit of tough love for your own good!!
:)

Offline Craig H

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 12:54:59 pm »
Hi Craig. Welcome to the forum.
I see from your previous post:

That sort of progress is totally fine, normal and regular for a year in to the beginner path.
Around about module 9 I am guessing.

Now on to this ...You should only have learned the E minor pentatonic and the C major scales up to now.

And to be blunt at this stage you do not want, need or have to learn any more scales. Not any at this stage. You have more than enough to be going on with. Justin will revisit both the E minor pentatonic and the C major scale in the beginner course and show you how you can use them and make music using just them.

More will come later so do not rush on ahead.
Yes it does.

No it doesn't.
And don't worry about the fact that it doesn't - not for now.
Justin teaches many scales in many positions and it will all come in good time.
Please do not go chasing after scale patterns to the detriment of learning to play chords, chord changes, songs and all the fundamentals.
Because I want to impress this on you so strongly I am not even going to link to the areas on the website where Justin teaches more.
You will thank me later.
This is just a bit of tough love for your own good!!
:)

You are correct - I'm just starting module 10 so not a bad guess. Thanks for the 'tough love'. I guess I'm just one of those people that needs to ask 'Why?' and 'how' and 'what for' and the fact that I am so enjoying the learning means I want to push. Perhaps a bit too hard at the moment though!!

"Tough Love" appreciated :)

Offline Craig H

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 12:57:03 pm »

Each pattern has root notes in different positions.

If you look at the minor pentatonic scale pattern 1 here (https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/minor-pentatonic-pattern-1-bl-402) you will see one of it's roots is on the 6th string.  That's great if I'm at fret 5 where I have an A on the 6th string but suppose I'm over on the 7th fret & want to play the a minor there?  Well if you look at pattern 2( https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/minor-pentatonic-pattern-2-bl-407) it has a root note on the 4th string, fret 7 on the 4th string is an A.    Finally imagine I'm all the way over on fret 12!! Well pattern 4 (https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/minor-pentatonic-pattern-4-bl-605) has a root note on the 5th string, The 5th string on the 12th fret is an A.

So as you say you can move a single pattern up and down the neck to move between scales but if you want the same scale at different points on the neck you need different patterns.

I've been learning to solo blues for around 8 months.  Only recently have I bothered to learn all 5 pentatonic patterns.  I used pattern 1 for the first 8 months but I'm enjoying the ability to play my A minor licks all over the fretboard to the A minor backing track, it's adds more interest to the soloing.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Skeldol. Unfortunately still a bit beyond my comprehension all of that.

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
Confused - can you help
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 02:21:49 pm »
X

Get The Forum As A Mobile App