Author Topic: Warm-up Drills  (Read 287 times)

Offline jPh0n3

• Good Vibes 0
Warm-up Drills
« on: June 04, 2021, 02:10:06 am »
I'd like to see a lesson on good drills to warm up with. I don't know if warm-ups are just personal preference or if there is a better method of some sort.

Is it best to just play a couple simple songs? Should we be doing the major scale with cold fingers or would that backfire and cause us to lose accuracy since our fingers aren't warmed up and we're not in the zone yet (and because practice makes permanent)?

Are warms up a good time for any finger gym or stretching or speed drills? Or should that come after warm ups instead?

Or does it matter? I think a lesson on some good warm-up drills would help us with our practice routines.

Cheers!

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
Re: Warm-up Drills
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 02:53:20 am »
Hi there and welcome to community. I am not sure Justin suggests any warm up routine, I think he only gives examples of excercises you can do as part of warm up.

From my own shoes - I always start with G major scale. The way I do it I just start off slow, 105 bpm do it 4 times in a row up and down, then I do two notes per beat same speed and then when I feel comfortable I jump up the speed to what I usually do. And I do it for about 5 mins. Doesn't have to be 105 it's just an example, do what you are most comfortable with.

When I was starting off I did spider walk instead of scale which lesson you can find at Justin's website. Same as above, very slow, medium pace and usual one.

Hope this makes sense. All the best.

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: Warm-up Drills
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 03:36:55 am »
I recently started warming up. I am about at the Cmaj scale lesson so I do that, an up and down the fretboard exercise and spider. There are a few others. I think almost anything like that that is around some things you want to work on is great.

You could probably put together a warmup of the early lesson riffs if you want something that seems more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App