Author Topic: How clean should chords be?  (Read 516 times)

Offline djdrysdale

• Good Vibes 0
How clean should chords be?
« on: May 31, 2021, 11:49:14 am »
Hi everyone,

I am coming back to guitar following Justin's course and decided to start at the beginning to make sure my fundamentals are sound.

One thing I have noticed is that when I am playing the A chord, especially when shifting between D and A, there's one string in the A chord that isn't sounding right, probably because I am not pressing the string down hard enough. I think it is either an issue of finger strength or else that the action on my guitar is too high.

But what I am wondering is how clean should the sound be before I move on? If I can perform 30 changes in a minute with one note out of place, is that good enough for now?

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 378
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: How clean should chords be?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 12:35:52 pm »
Generally a good idea to correct such things as you detect them. Perhaps your finger-tips have not yet developed the callouses, so don't hold the string down firmly enough. Or fingers may be inadvertently muting an adjacent string. I'd suggest diagnose and work to fix immediately.

That said, you could also move on and start working on the next lessons while you do so.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 187
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:57:02 pm »
It can be a a bit of a quest to find a way to fix that particular chords that isn't sounding right.
My advice is usally; dare to move on but keep it in your practice routine and remain very critical for that sound. If you don't, you'll develop a nasty habit of playing a dodgy chord all the time :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 06:29:08 pm »
All good advice so far. I would add that pressing harder can pull notes sharper. It's part of the learning process to get the right feel for fretting notes. Don't press any harder than is necessary.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 07:47:08 am by close2u »

Offline djdrysdale

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 01:40:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice so far. It's consistently the first finger on the A chord that I wrestle with. I can't seem to make the A on the G string sound cleanly unless I've got a death grip on the neck. Everything else sounds great, but that note is muted.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 378
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 02:05:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice so far. It's consistently the first finger on the A chord that I wrestle with. I can't seem to make the A on the G string sound cleanly unless I've got a death grip on the neck. Everything else sounds great, but that note is muted.

If you keep the other fingers off the D and B strings does the note on the G string sound cleanly? If so then try add one other note, perhaps on the B string. If that is fine then add the third note on the D string. Perhaps that gives you a clue. Maybe one of the fingers is muting the G string and moving to death grip changes the finger positioning to avert that.

Another thing to check would be how close your fingers are to the fretwires. The first finger will be a little further back and as such need to get the other two fingers right up to the fretwire (but not on the fret). If your finger is too far back it cause the note not to sound clearly.

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 04:28:37 pm »
I find that as I play the A cord in a song, my index finger drifts back, causing the same problem you describe.

In cord perfect changes, I naturally am able to be more consistent.

I think the only answer is to identify to issue and keep working on it so the fingers land right, even with all the distraction of playing a song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App