Author Topic: New app feedback  (Read 11253 times)

stuartw and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Manskei

• Good Vibes 0
Re: New app feedback
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2021, 11:34:45 pm »
Hi again,

Having seen the DLB / Jamolay mini conversation above (& also having watched Justins “How to use the App …” video and given it a weeks more practise):

1. I agree with DLB. I do not want to see the “guitaraoke” tracks disappear. After all, this is what we are aspiring to reach.

2. Justin mentions that some beginners find the full backing tracks “overwhelming”. Yep, that is me. The midi tracks returning is good news but my personal workaround has been to note the chords in a song and get the strumming pattern comfortable at the default 90BPM. But then I leave the Beginner Song Course & use the TimeTrainer (increasing the BPM incrementally) to get the strumming up to snuff before coming back to try the song again. Cumbersome but it works for me. Conclusive proof though that Justin does see these comments.

3. It still grates that Justin devoted part of a very early lesson to explain that “Musicians talk in terms of Beats per Minute or BPM” but then the App shows “Tempo 100%”. (Thanks again Chonna for having got me past the fingertip control hassles to reach the BPM notation). I do realise that this is an incredibly pedantic point and I am possibly the only person using the App for whom this is a niggle … just ignore me. I can live with it.

4. Still very much a fan. Pre-Covid I had signed up for guitar evening classes.  Now that the classes are starting up again I am not going to bother. I will stick with the App.

Regards, Manskei

Offline TobiH

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2021, 08:37:24 am »
Hi,

just subscribed to the app and much prefer the more realistic sound of the songs.

I am a beginner and what would help me ito the rythm/speed would be, if you could pre-set for how many bars the song counts you in before the music starts.  The four beats it has now is a bit fast for me to adjust to in time for the song.

Regards,
T

Offline Chonna

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2021, 02:22:26 pm »
I just downloaded the newest update with the some of the changes users have been requesting.  I have to say, that was quick.  Great job! 

Offline Chonna

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2021, 02:26:56 pm »
Hi again,

3. It still grates that Justin devoted part of a very early lesson to explain that “Musicians talk in terms of Beats per Minute or BPM” but then the App shows “Tempo 100%”. (Thanks again Chonna for having got me past the fingertip control hassles to reach the BPM notation). I do realise that this is an incredibly pedantic point and I am possibly the only person using the App for whom this is a niggle … just ignore me. I can live with it.

Regards, Manskei

Manskel, A new update was just posted today and that little orange tempo bar works now AND it shows the BPM.  They made several updates users have requested.  YEAH!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2021, 06:51:43 pm »

Offline Manskei

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2021, 09:34:35 pm »
Oh WOW!, Yes!

Just this evenings session, playing a song through several times using the “practise”, “band” and “+vocals” tabs, makes so much more sense to me. Good heads-up too Chonna on the BPM & sidebar changes.

I am definitely sold on this App & really appreciate Mr. Sandercoe’s attention (via close2u as administrator) to his users comments.

I am still a cr4p guitarist but that is my issue & I just need to work at it & practise more. It will be a pleasure!

Regards, Manskei

Offline newellcr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2021, 11:59:16 pm »
Nice update!  Thank you for the practice mode addition.  I had 100's of hours of time with the old app and never liked to play along with actual recordings.  I would use the midi files on low volume and strum and 'sing'.  The simple midi files helped me learn quickly and kept me going with a dependable beat and let me concentrate on details like muting, Boom Chicka strum patterns, and the occasional pattern changes.  I had just started to play with the finger picking when the app changed.  Wahooo, practice mode. 

Love the restructured course.   I went back and 'started' again...  It didn't take me long.  The updates from from grades 1 and 2 really make sense. 

This is really picky, but I am having a hard time with some pushes added to my old favorites.  Can you add a graphic hovering over the pushed changes?  Like if the push happens on an "&" or "a", just hover a "+" or "a" over the push. 

Thanks!

Offline BernieHammer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2021, 03:30:55 pm »
Hi Close 2 u,

I 'updated' the beginner song app about a week ago to my iPhone 6 but the new app crashes after about 8 seconds of played video. No video's will play at all, and the app also crashes randomly whilst I'm trying to use the song learning section. I reported it to Mousopia via a link on an e-mail from Justinguitar on Tuesday 7th September but I've had no response. This is really frustrating as I relied on the old app to practice every day and I've been unable to do so since the update.

Please can you help?

Many Thanks,

Bernie

Offline mds

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2021, 11:19:22 pm »
Hi

In the songs section of the webpage, when searching for Kenny Roger's The Gambler, it says, 'Play Along With my App', but in searching through the songs on the App, the only song from Kenny is Lucille. Will The Gambler be available on the App again?

Thanks...

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2021, 08:46:17 am »
@ Bernie
I will reply via pm

@mds songs not in the app that were there previously should be getting added

Offline acw137

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2021, 02:58:02 am »
Hello Everyone.  Here’s my 2 cents ….  I had nearly finished the old beginner app (which was fantastic - life altering for me!), so when the new app showed up I decided to take the opportunity to go back and review by flying thru the new modules.  I really like the new lessons and I can see how the learning structure has been tweaked to address issues.  Sometimes with the old lessons I would have questions that I had to look up online, whereas the new lessons often answer these.  There’s also new learning material which I enjoyed and found helpful.  As for playing along, I’m conflicted about the new style and having trouble.  It’s cool to play with a band, but if could do this well, I’d just play along to the actual song and not use the app!  On the other hand, the old app play along was very artificial (computer generation of the song parts) which although much easier and good for learning, didn’t give a great “play along” experience. I often encountered songs in the app that I could play along with fine, but I still struggled playing along with the actual song, so the jump was too big for me.  With the new app, I’d like some sort of compromise.  I’m not expecting the app songs to sound just like the originals and I don’t want them to.  I would like the new app songs to emphasize elements that help me to play along e.g. rhythm, accompanying guitar.   I would rather have the melody played on (say) a piano than have actual singing, and to me, the singing in the new app play along songs is the worst part.  No disrespect to the app singers, but my brain is tuned to the original artist singer, and for me the app singing is (well) a major buzzkill.  Other feedback is that the app is really slow on my iPad Pro 9.7 (bought in 2017) when no other apps are.  When I click on things, there’s often a 3-5 second delay before anything happens, which is tiresome.  It’s a pity that the old app isn’t available as a separate app, but perhaps this would a pain in the rear for Justin (logistically), and perhaps he thinks the new app is a better teaching tool and folks should persevere with it.  I’m hoping that Justin et al will make improvements to the new app (soon), but let me say that I am a massive fan of both apps, so thanks for the hard work.

Offline DLB

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2021, 01:01:06 am »
Here is some additional feedback after playing most (about 500) of the rock songs over the last month.

The recently updated new app was nearly unplayable (long delays) for me on Bluestacks. I paid for a new membership on my Ipad and it is very quick and a much better experience!

To my untrained ear, about 90% of the songs' vocals sound passable to excellent!

About 10-15% of the songs the strumming patterns don't match the play-along video. Not bad, but could use some QC.

I can say I improved significantly by forcing myself to play nearly every song over a condensed period of time: Changes, new chords, timing, speed, etc.

Thanks, Justin and team!

I know this is a beginner app, but if, down the road, you wanted to expand it to intermediates you could add tabs for some simplified solos in many of the songs that feature solos.

Also, if there is someone qualified to show (maybe in a thread) us advancing beginners how to go about improvising/soloing during the songs that feature soloing parts that would be greatly appreciated by me and probably expand the number of app users/buyers.

Thanks, again!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2021, 08:15:20 am »
Please do keep your feedback coming. As you will have hopefully seen with the almost immediate updates Justin and team are listening and trying to implement changes to make things better yet based on user experience.

Online kaiben

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #163 on: Today at 10:32:08 am »
Hi all,

after a while out (wrist pain, holiday) I started again using the new app. First of all I am very glad that the simple practice backing tracks are added (again). And also Hey Joe (Jimmy Hendrix) is back in the app. Great.

So I started again on Hey Joe with the simple backing tracks, but I still have had problems. I think the app chord change display is not in sync with the (simple) backing track. I managed to play to the track if I do not look at the app but just listen to the track, than it works comparatively as easy as the old app. Albeit this is a great practice on its own, I think the display MUST be in sync with the track.

Best regards, Kai

Get The Forum As A Mobile App