Author Topic: Show us your pedals / board  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
Re: Show us your pedals / board
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2021, 12:45:49 pm »
The wet/dry thing intrigues me.  Of course in the time it has taken me to type this post I forgot the pedal used to accomplish this.  Was it an ABY something or other?

The main advantage of wet/dry setups is that it makes it easier to balance the wet and dry signals, Part of this is because the wet and dry are coming out of different speakers. You also gain a sort of pseudo-stereo effect by doing this too, if you separate the two amps. Obviously the benefit of having the wet and dry on separate speakers tends to disappear if you are running through a PA/monitors, but wet/dry can help with FoH too as having separate channels for wet and dry allows them to be mixed separately into the PA, and into monitor mixes.

If you are using valve amps with the  power section running very hot, as Brian May does, then it also helps with headroom, as you can run the effects very hot and still have the ability to boost the clean where you need to. But this isn't really something most of us would benefit from.

I think for most of us the benefits of a wet/dry setup are not that significant. You can, for instance, get many of the same benefits on a home/practice setup by adjusting the wet/dry levels of effects. It's probably a bit more fiddly if you are running a lot of effects, but it's possible.

You could also probably get many of the same benefits by splitting off the dry signal before the modulation pedals, and mixing the wet and dry outputs together into a single amp with some sort of blender. Something like this might work.

Of course the other, potential, benefit of wet/dry is having amps with different characteristics, such as a Fender style for the wet, and a more Marshally style for the dry.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2021, 03:37:46 pm »
@CT
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Could you comment on the power supply question?

Do you use a separate DC converter for each pedal or is there a single converter with multiple outputs?
I'm using the Donner DP-1 Guitar Power Supply with 10 Isolated outputs. It works really well for my needs. Good high-value power brick. I also have a few daisy chain types in a drawer that I seldom use. These can get a little noisy, so I mostly use them for a pedal or two and a quick muck around.

Offline rwoodlin

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2021, 01:06:46 pm »
@Majik
@CT

Thank-you for your replies.  Most helpful.  :)
Regards,
Robert

Get The Forum As A Mobile App