Author Topic: RH-010-011 • Hendrix Style Rhythm Guitar 1 and 2  (Read 93696 times)

Misha

Re: RH-010-011 • Hendrix Style Rhythm Guitar 1 and 2
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 04:59:19 pm »
I can do that :)

Thanks for the reply, and after practicing for 2 hours i am beginning to get it. I'll make it :D

lXJoseOleXl

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 06:49:52 am »
is there anyway that you could continue this series of lessons with some more of hendrix's tricks?
preferrably differnt chords shapes rather then the E and A shapes and possibly some picking patterns useful and expandable for those chords and chord shapes?
that would be VERY much appreciated

thank you for all your time. your a great teacher

TimW

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 08:46:13 am »
Hey Justin,
Big fan of your lessons. I'm just wondering what the difference between the thumb over technique is to fretting with the index finger, playing the G string with the middle finger, and playing the D string with the ring finger while also using the ring finger to mute the A string. As far as I can tell this is exactly the same as your pinky is now free to have fun. I also find it a lot easier (especially on acoustic) and less painful. Is there some advantage to the thumb over technique (faster? cooler?)
Thanks,
Tim
(sorry if this was asked earlier in a different wording)

Adlai

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 08:17:56 pm »
TimW,

If you use your thumb, you have more flexibility. Watch John Frusciante, the guitarist of RHCP, play chords Hendrix style. He gets the bass note with his thumb, and then he uses almost all his fingers to play riffs around the chords. It's much harder to do that when one finger is pinned down.

Adlai

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 10:08:20 pm »
I just watched these lessons again...

The progression at the end is just Hey Joe, isn't it

msalamone11

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 05:47:56 pm »
Dear Justin,

Hey man this is the best section you've got on this entire website.  Definetly add more stuff into this section and complete the tab for it.

Thanks,
Mark

raul693

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »
Hey!, I bumped into Hendrix lessons and loved them, however when I was practicing I noticed that my hand is to small for this (or so I think), I end up with pain and it's really hard for me to use my thumb, even though my guitar has relatively thin neck, on wednesday I think this caused a terrible thumb pain that annoyed me even when fretting regular barre chords. Anyone have this problem? Should I stop doing this? cause I discovered that my pinky moves pretty well so I can still play hendrix rhythm but missing the note on the D or A string

Any thoughts?

Offline tyronne

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 03:39:14 pm »
Hello Justin,

Firstly, thank you for this and all the other lessons.  I've gotten a lot of help from them.

Secondly, the Tele you use in the video...is it a stock one or a '52 re-issue?
Any mods done to it?

Thirdly, What gauge strings do you use on your guitars, both electric and acoustic?

All the best,
-t

tillyman

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 06:04:03 pm »
hey justin,

I´ve heard lots of songs where it sounds like the guitarist is expanding the a shape hendrix trick where they just go further up the neck or somehting (i think).
Normally i should only use notes that fit into the actual scale of the song, right?? Because a lot fo times i think they are sort of in the key of the chord theyre playing at that time, not the song.
So if i am playing and using the a shape chord trick in  a song int he key of e for example, when i might play a c chord and do the inversion am i in the key of the song or the chord??
To me it sounds fine both ways, but maybe thats only cause i dont have a band accompanying me in a certain key??
I hope this is not complete bogus and i am making at least a little bit of sense here ;)
It might also be that this doesnt have anything to do with the inversion...
and if it helps, i noticed this on a lot of solo covers by john mayer, like Bold as Love and the Wind Cries Mary

sorry, this turned into quite a rant...
Thanks for all the help,
I owe you

Halzg

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »
Hey justin thanks for all the great lessons really helping a lot!!!
i was just wondering do you have any tips on playing rhythm while singing i keep slipping into my own rhythms and its a nightmare for ppl playing wit me :( just wondering if you know the best way to practice.

Cheers mate!!
Halz G

m_ratan

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 07:13:47 pm »
I have a question on Rhythm and strumming in general.  I hear many say strumming is very easy in playing guitar, however, i am having very much tough time getting my up/down strumming sounding smooth and evenly sounding.  My just down strumming sounds ok though, but when I do down and up strumming (say 1,2,and,3,4,and) while playing some chord progression, that is when it is very hard for me to make it sound smooth and evenly sounding.  Any suggestions?  Perhaps Justing will be kind enough (not that he hasn't been) to create a lession just on strumming practice?  Also, what speed on metronome I should set to for practiving strumming with chord progression?  And what is the top speed should be to reach my goal?

BrianInTune

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 06:40:25 pm »
@m_ratan.. Justin had rhythm practice videos but with with the rise of the new beginner's course, he took the old ones down, but the new ones are coming.

As for practicing rhythm, the best thing you can do is set you're metronome at about 90, with each click being a downstrum, and just fiddle with upstrums with that same tempo until they become fluid. I don't think strumming to a metronome should be about dialing up the speed to get you're strumming quicker.. it should be more about maintaining rhythm. Work on strumming that way, and it becomes second nature once you hear a song.. and eventually you'll be able to bump up your rhythm to 8th and 16th notes (which basically means strumming faster following the same tempo)

m_ratan

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 06:05:19 pm »
@BrianInTune....Got it!!!  Thanks a bunch!!!.....Peace.

jeffg

Thumb over with small hands?
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 11:03:38 pm »
Hi Justin - I have tried doing the E shape with the thumb over at times and cant get it - I have small hands and a petty small thumb.  Is it possible for people with small hands to eventually do it - or is no amount of trying going change the physical reality?

thanks,
jeff

rudey

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:01 pm »
For some reason I just cannot do the thumb over for the E-shape chords. What does work for me is doing the normal hand shape and just using the ring finger to play the second and third stings which frees up the pinky and gets the same outcome.

Dash Rendar

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 06:55:33 pm »
I struggle with 'thumb-over E shape' just like adam_b.  Darn these small hands.  I like Adam's idea of muting the 5th string, except I would instead mute the 4th string with my third finger.  The root note is always going to ring out strong in this chord, so it seems to me that letting the 5th (note) ring on the 5th string is probably more important than the root note ringing on the 4th.  That seems to work for me.

Ric-newbie

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 07:05:10 pm »
hi

Ive just watched both vids great little tricks, im just wondering the hammers and flicks shown in part one are they all based around the minor pentatonic scale? im trying to get into the theory side a bit and im just wondering is the scale what forms the boundary of what you would and wouldnt use? For example you have a first finger barre at the 5th fret and you picking notes out to flick and hammer from the 7th fret as you would in a scale as a pose to hammering and flicking at 6 I mean? hope that makes sense  :-\

Cheers

Rich

Dash Rendar

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 09:57:43 am »
Hi Ric-newbie.  You need to start with a bit of CAGED theory.  Justin starts by playing a C, using the A-shape barre chord at the third fret (root note on the 5th string).  The slide to the fifth fret then shifts us to playing a C chord again, but this time, effectively using a G-shape barre chord, with the barre at the 5th fret (but without playing the 1st and 6th strings).  Because we're now in the 'G-shape' from CAGED theory, we can drop straight into a G major scale, starting with the C note on the 8th fret of the 6th string. This is sometimes referred to as the 5th position of the five conventional ways of playing the major scale, and is shown in Justin's page here: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php.

When Justin is doing the hammer-ons and flicks from 5th to 7th frets at this position, he's effectively picking out notes from the C major scale.  Any notes from this scale would work. But, because pentatonic scales are always subsets of diatonic scales (such as the major scale), it turns out that a C major pentatonic scale can also be played at this position too.  At a glance, you should be able to see how the C major pentatonic scale fits 'within' the G major scale.  Have a look at the 'G position' (position 5) of the major pentatonic scale here to see why: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-005-MajorPentatonicScale.php.

So, in a nutshell, when you're doing your hammer-ons and flicks, when you're playing these C chords, you can use notes from either C major, or C major pentatonic. Either will sound good.

Hope that helps.

Ric-newbie

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 10:03:19 pm »
yea mate your helping a lot there ive got justins practical music guide and im going through it, and asking for advice along the way, so ive looked at what you said i see that the major pent scale is the same as the major scale with the 4th and 7th degrees missing which im guessing in this case are the F and B notes as im not playing those in my position 5 major pent and i am in just major, not sure how you know which the 4th and which is the 7th degree?

Except that part i get it we are playing a c major A shape barre with and E bass and playing our licks in the same key as the Root note of the chord, So lets say im playing with a jam buddy im playing c major chord the guy can play loads of licks in C postion 5 at the same time will sound cool?

next que would be ive checked it out and if i was to then move to another chord ie G say and i want my buddy to play licks in that key he wouldnt be able to use position 5 because there is no G root scenario  :-\ in that shape is there?

cheers guys i feel like  a few more lights are being swithed on here!!!

FrançoisSarrand

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »
Hi guys !

First i just wanted to thank Justin for his awesome work, greatings from France dude !

And i'm here because I'm looking for some help about the hendrix barre chords shape on the left hand.
Well, i don't know if i'm hands are too little for those chords or if i'll get it after training but i just can barre the first and second strings with my index while i'm using my thumb to play the bass note and muting the A string !

Are my hands to little ?

(sorry for my bad english i'm french)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »
Well, i don't know if i'm hands are too little for those chords or if i'll get it after training but i just can barre the first and second strings with my index while i'm using my thumb to play the bass note and muting the A string !

Are my hands to little ?

The guitar neck width, thickness and profile can make a huge difference for this sort of stuff, could be your neck is less than ideal. what are you practicing on?
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

FrançoisSarrand

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 08:40:46 pm »
I'm practicing on a Squier Stratocaster. (not a classic vibe, sadly... haha)

(did i get your question right ? lol)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 08:47:05 pm »
you understood the question fine ;)

Strats are better than most for thumb over... all I can suggest then is keep practicing or possibly consider rounding the fretboard edge if it's rosewood.

FrançoisSarrand

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:38 pm »
So it's normal if I just don't get it before months of training ? ;D

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:43 pm »
thumb over can certainly take a bit of getting used to. Took me time at any rate.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App