Author Topic: Amp for Home practice  (Read 290 times)

Offline SLLP92

• Good Vibes 0
Amp for Home practice
« on: April 09, 2021, 10:34:15 pm »
Hello, I am hoping to play electric guitar (got my eyes on an epiphone les paul stanard or modern Figured Or A fender stratocaster player HSS pro top or potentially a telecaster of some sort).

Does any one have experience with any of the following amps I have been researching:
Blackstar ID Core 40 V3,
Marshal code25-50 watt,
Boss katana 50 mk2 1x12,
yamaha thr 5 - 10,
Fender mustang 25-50 / GTX50 GTX,
Line spider 6 v 20 mk2,
Or the Orange c35rt

I have potentially narrowed down to the Boss Katana or blackstar  ID core

Don’t know if this helps, but I tend to like alternative rock/indie, metal and classic rock. I hope am hoping to play select songs from the doors ,red I tend to like alternative rock/indie, metal and classic rock. I hope am hoping to play select songs from the doors ,red hot chilli peppers, metallica, nirvana, joy division, queens of the stone age jimi hendrix, rolling stones, linkin park and foo fighters

Budget wise hoping to spend no more than £250.

Also are there any cable recommendations?
any advice appreciated
Thanks

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
Re: Amp for Home practice
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 11:13:01 pm »
I bought a Boss Katana-50 MkII and I love it.

I'm a newbie to electric guitar and amps. It's super easy to use. Justin does a review of it. He also has a series of lessons and patches to download https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/boss-katana-50-unboxing-exploring-ka-001

I found this review very helpful as well.

Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 12:09:01 am »
Does any one have experience with any of the following amps I have been researching:

I have a Boss Katana 100 mk1 (which isn't actually that different from the mkII), and the Yamaha THR10 II.

Blackstar ID Core 40 V3,

I don't have experience with this specific amp, but I've played a few Blackstar amps in the past, and I rate them highly.

Marshal code25-50 watt,

I had a play with this at a music show a few years back. I wasn't impressed. It's not been well reviewed and went from being the "hot-new thing" to being yesterday's news very quickly. I think there's a reason for that.

Boss katana 50 mk2 1x12,

I love mine and, aside from the usual "it's not as good as a Marshall stack" type comments you always get on Youtube, it's very well reviewed. What I like about it is it doesn't try to pretend to be other amps: it's it's own thing and it works well. Yet you can get a wide range of tones from it ranging from some spanky bright tones to growling dark tones, and it can cater for most genres.

It's also pretty easy to use for such a flexible amp: you don't need to "menu dive" to get to things and, unlike some other digital amps it doesn't come with dozens of useless demo factory presets and about 2-3 usable ones. It looks, and operates very much like a more traditional analogue amp,  and it encourages you to learn how to get tones from it by adjusting the controls, rather than by scrolling through dozens of presets. And learning how to use an amp properly is a key part of electric guitar playing.

And if you want to get down and dirty with effects, plug a PC in and use the Boss Tone Studio to create some amazing sounds using dozens of built in effects pedals. There's loads of tutorials all over the place for it, including from Justin.

Have a look at some of the Studio Rats videos on the Katana to see what it's capable of.

It can play quiet enough for bedroom use, but loud enough to gig with, and you can record directly into your PC if you are into that.

If you have the space, I would strongly consider this amp.

yamaha thr 5 - 10

And if you don't have the space, I would recommend the THR10. Note that the THR5 is the old version although many places are still selling it. The THR isn't as versatile as the Katana, but it's compact, sounds great, and looks the business., and it's plenty versatile for most use. Like the Katana, it doesn't pretend to sound like other amps: it's its own thing, and it sounds pretty good. The mark II versions of the THR come with options for wireless and bluetooth, so you can also use it as a portable bluetooth speaker. When I flew home last August, I took my THR10 II as carry on luggage.

Fender mustang 25-50 / GTX50 GTX,

I've not had much experience of these. Most of them are well rated.

Line spider 6 v 20 mk2,

I've had a play with previous Spider's and I've never been impressed with them. They seem geared up for switching between the factory presets rather than to be used like a normal amp, except the factory presets aren't that good IMO. Like a lot of the Line 6 stuff of that era, you can do deep editing with a PC or app if you want, but IMO what you want, and I'm sure it's possible to get some decent sounds from it by doing that (as it is with almost every modelling system)_but, to me, if you can't get decent sounds from it out of the box without using an app, then it's a no-no.

Or the Orange c35rt

I've not used this specific model, but I've used a couple of other Orange amps. The great thing about this is it is a very simple amp, so no messing around with presets and configuring effects. Of course, that means if you want to do this sort of thing you need to buy some pedals or something. If you are the sort of person who wants simple and easy and doesn't care about plugging in a PC or using an app to experiment with adding effects, then this could be a good choice.

I have potentially narrowed down to the Boss Katana or blackstar  ID core

Probably a good choice.

Don’t know if this helps, but I tend to like alternative rock/indie, metal and classic rock. I hope am hoping to play select songs from the doors ,red I tend to like alternative rock/indie, metal and classic rock. I hope am hoping to play select songs from the doors ,red hot chilli peppers, metallica, nirvana, joy division, queens of the stone age jimi hendrix, rolling stones, linkin park and foo fighters

I would say that most of the amps on your list would meet these requirements although, in some cases, you might need additional pedals.

Also are there any cable recommendations?

Make sure you get one.

Don't spend a fortune on it. You don't need to pay more than about £20 for a 3 metre cable.

Get a tuner!

Cheers,

Keith

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 10:20:08 am »
From your list, Boss Katana 50. What Majik wrote.

But I would say that :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 12:21:15 pm »
I would choose the Fender Mustang, because I like the emulation of the various amps and cabs. My older Mustang has served me well. The LT-25 is the latest version and is definitely what I would choose as a first amp. All the tones for the music that you like are in this box and at bedroom/practice volumes. This amp can be found generally for about $150 US. 

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 12:37:26 pm »
From your list, I'd favor the Katana. When I was looking for a digital amp I tried out many of the amp lines on your list, and the Katana was where I ended up. Mine is a Katana 100/2x12 (Mk I), but all the Katanas are similar.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App