Author Topic: Early discussion / questions on the new JG TABs.  (Read 4170 times)

Offline sclay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
Early discussion / questions on the new JG TABs.
« on: April 02, 2021, 11:51:02 am »
Just wondering what people's experience is like with Justin's new online songbook, JustinGuitarTabs.
Will likely purchase it in the next day or two, but curious as to the initial experience. Most likely very good I imagine.
Cheers, Shane.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline cloodie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Early discussion / questions on the new JG TABs.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 07:32:47 pm »
Is there a way to see what songs the full tabs are available for before signing up?

[mod response - that functionality is on its way as a top priority - close2u ]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:55:35 am by close2u »

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 08:22:27 pm »
Most of the songs where there is a video lesson for the song. So about 600 tabs in total.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline cloodie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 08:53:52 pm »
Most of the songs where there is a video lesson for the song. So about 600 tabs in total.

I think there are only 150 full tabs so far though.

[ mod response - Correct. 150 full TAB for songs with advanced parts for / solos etc. The bulk of songs are aimed at beginner / intermediate where the chords / lyrics are the most helpful things to provide and where any detailed TAB may not serve to help too much. Though further TAB is coming along also. close2u ]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:58:00 am by close2u »

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 10:27:50 pm »
I guess this means there will be no more song books in the future? It seems a like a good idea. It is a shame there is no print option, but I understand why. I probably print off too much anyway, then can’t find what I have printed. Reading chord / lyric sheets on screen is probably OK, but I think reading full tabs on screen may be hard.  Anyway, I will probably give it a go while there is the introductory offer.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R, Boss Katana Mini

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 11:33:23 pm »
I bought it.
I'm not finding it easy to be honest, the layout isn't great, there is no suggested strumming pattern which is a shame. The whole song doesn't fit on one page and you cant get it to auto scroll or page change in any way apart from manually scrolling which isn't easy while playing.
I'm not sure I will renew unless the functionality improves.

[ mod response - strumming info is on Justin's list - see here http://disq.us/p/2g5t9yx ]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:59:08 am by close2u »

Offline GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 11:51:56 pm »
I guess this means there will be no more song books in the future? It seems a like a good idea. It is a shame there is no print option, but I understand why. I probably print off too much anyway, then can’t find what I have printed. Reading chord / lyric sheets on screen is probably OK, but I think reading full tabs on screen may be hard.  Anyway, I will probably give it a go while there is the introductory offer.

There’s a new songbook out in June.
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline TimK

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 03:13:59 am »
I just signed up for a year and wish I would've purchased a month instead.  I stumbled across one full tab but don't really want to click on every song to see if it's a simple chart, a tab, or neither.

Anyone know if there's a way to find all the tabs?

[ mod response - quote from the FAQ page: "Where can I see which songs have full tab and which have chords? Right now there should be either Chord/Lyric sheets or TAB for every song on the site, but it's hard to see which has which. We're on it as a priority and will figure way to show which songs have which on the All Songs page asap." ]

I've purchased a lot of items from Justin but this one feels like it falls short. The best site I go to is
sixstringcountry.com It's awesome but it isn't free!

I hope I'm wrong about feeling like this!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:00:44 am by close2u »

Offline sclay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 07:24:01 am »
For those who are using it, can you do a screen capture of a song, then convert to a pdf for printing? Can be a little fiddly with multiple pages, but pretty simple on most phone/tablets/pcs.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 07:50:48 am »
I bought it.
I'm not finding it easy to be honest, the layout isn't great, there is no suggested strumming pattern which is a shame. The whole song doesn't fit on one page and you cant get it to auto scroll or page change in any way apart from manually scrolling which isn't easy while playing.
I'm not sure I will renew unless the functionality improves.

I haven't looked at this, so take the comment from whence it comes, just a thought ...

Maybe the idea is to use these song or tab sheets as a supplement or in conjunction with the song lesson? I think I picked up in the Newsletter and on the page that many of the songs included have lessons?
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 08:18:54 am »
I haven't looked at this, so take the comment from whence it comes, just a thought ...

Maybe the idea is to use these song or tab sheets as a supplement or in conjunction with the song lesson? I think I picked up in the Newsletter and on the page that many of the songs included have lessons?

Yes, that does seem the intention as the Tabs are embedded in with the song lessons, so where under a song lesson you have the menus for Notes, Chords, Notepad, Practice, there is now a new one that says Tab and the Tab is within there.  I don't think they are designed to replace the lesson, but the lack of scrolling or page turn is a pain if trying to follow the lesson at the time.

For those who are using it, can you do a screen capture of a song, then convert to a pdf for printing? Can be a little fiddly with multiple pages, but pretty simple on most phone/tablets/pcs.

Yes, You could do a screen shot if you wanted, nothing to prevent it as such.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 08:30:56 am »
I don't think they are designed to replace the lesson, but the lack of scrolling or page turn is a pain if trying to follow the lesson at the time.

Agreed. And maybe in time the development team will add a scrolling feature.  Would be great if one could view online, without a saving/download option, the tab file in GuitarPro. Perhaps that is also a possible future feature.

Yes, You could do a screen shot if you wanted, nothing to prevent it as such.

Other than the fact that I think it would be a violation of the license and copyright ...
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 08:43:41 am »
All the info and FAQs are here ...

https://www.justinguitar.com/tabs

Offline AzureJasper

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 12:30:34 am »
Yeah a list of tabs available would be good - 150 tabbed songs out of 600... not sure about those odds... I’m reluctant to lay my money down until There’s a list of what’s actually available. Can’t imagine it’d be hard to make a list :shrug:

[ mod response - the 150 is a deliberate choice at first as those are the songs with multiple parts / options to play complicated guitar parts / solos etc etc. Most of the full catalogue of 600+ are beginner / simple strum songs that really do not need any TAB at all and chords / lyrics are all that is required at beginner / intermediate level. As to the list of songs - it is a top priority for Justin and team. close2u ]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:04:05 am by close2u »

Offline rainmaker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 12:59:54 am »
I don't feel bad about it, wanted to donate anyway as the lessons are great and do stand out on YT so it's only fair.
That said, I think about this exactly as a donation, if I considered it a payment for a product I'd feel rather dissatisfied.
I clicked though a few songs, some only had lyrics without chords, most had chords in a form which you find in free versions of other websites (without any premium access) and certainly less than 1 in 4 had tabs but then maybe I was unlucky. In that case if you find a song you like and it has full tabs you may also consider buying a lottery ticket :).
Oh, a fun fact: the "cancel subscription" button is broken, shows an error message "no such subscription" and goes back to the screen where you see your next payment date :D

Hopefully it's work in progress and will improve over time, as it is the name "tabs" is rather misleading as you hardly get any, chords can be found elsewhere and you don't even get the strumming pattern scheme.

Offline AzureJasper

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 03:01:55 am »
Totally agree with the payment helping to support the site - I’m in my second year of being subbed to the theory course and feel the same about that payment when it came out of my account for the second year (having forgotten about it), and I’ve bought a few other books/courses here in the past too - would just be nice to see a list first. I also understand this is new and still in progress, and the publishers need to get their cut too, and of course some songs really only need to have chords/lyrics. Would be awesome if it included notation for every song he’s covered though - that’d be a no brainer!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 08:29:18 am »
Full info and FAQs here.
I am passing on the questions / comments to the team.
:)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:22:09 pm by close2u »

Offline Harry_D

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 09:07:06 am »
Earlier in the week, I've subscribed for a year. My first impression is good, especially if you consider it a work in progress.

Of course, that special song you initially look for, will not have a full tab as yet - Murphy is our friend here too - but there are other good ones that I can work on instead. :-)

Looks like a promising new service, thank you for adding it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline daveclamp

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 09:12:45 am »
I paid for a years subscription to the JustinGuitarTabs yesterday. I've been working on the Hendrix Hey Joe solo for some time, thought I had it pretty sorted'ish and had written out my tab based on the lesson, so thought it would be perfect to view the tab. However, I notice that here the guitar is tuned down half a step and the notes played aren't the same as in the lesson. Tried playing the solo with the guitar tuned as per the Justin Tab and it sounds nothing like the Hendrix version! Am I missing something? On the up side I've looked at the basic strumming chords for a couple of songs and it's helpful to have the full song with all chords aligned.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 05:57:46 pm »
I'm not liking what I'm reading.

No strumming patterns? Are the tempi included?

While I appreciate all the stuff Justin does for free, if you're selling a product it does need some basic functionality.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 287
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 06:14:08 pm »
Betta testing in the live paid for environment ? Really not liking what I am hearing from folk who have paid hard cash. If its being rolled out as a product it needs to be better than work in progress. Much as I support Justin and have bought many of his courses and books, I'll be keeping a watching brief on this one.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline rainmaker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 07:57:08 pm »

No strumming patterns? Are the tempi included?

For vast majority of the songs all you get is lyrics with chord annotations above,
Personally I find the chord alignment a bit funny and since you don't get any information about the signature you have to watch the video lesson as otherwise you'd have no idea how to divide each verse into bars, how many strums per bar, etc

Again, don't mind donating an equivalent of a medium latte per month towards the website but if you treat it as a standalone product, separate from other site content, it's way behind of what other guitar/ chords websites offer for free.

Once all songs have full tabs/ score it will be nice though, one has to wonder if it will happen within the first year of the subscription though.

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 08:28:00 am »
I will give it a miss for now. I have most of the song books anyway. That is 425 songs. Only 20 full tabs, but there are plenty of mini tabs. For anything else, I make my own tabs.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R, Boss Katana Mini

Offline Kgps1222

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 02:19:44 am »
Does the new TABs app include strumming patterns?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 07:54:29 am »
There has been a major influx of questions and comments on the TABs.
Justin has made some fixes, written some extra info and recorded a quick FAQ video to address some.
Check this blog page:
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/introducing-justinguitar-tabs-jb-102
The release was over the Easter weekend and so any initial glitches / errors that were reported may need to wait until this week for a fix.
As regards strumming, read Justin's comment here: http://disq.us/p/2g5t9yx

As to the 600+ songs with chords (and tools to transpose those to any other key) and the 150 with fully detailed TAB, ... the idea here is that many of the songs are aimed at beginner / intermediate players whose need is for chords / lyrics. The fully detailed TAB is therefore limited to songs with scope for more advanced players to play all the parts / solos etc.
Keep checking the FAQ page too:

Get The Forum As A Mobile App