Author Topic: zlybilly  (Read 663 times)

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
zlybilly
« on: April 02, 2021, 11:11:16 am »
Hello there!
I joined the community few months back and I was nicely welcome. Recently I feel the urge to share my passion with people and I find this please the most relevant as we are all into Justin's work and learning guitar. I want my roadcase to be the place where I would share my performing, gear and ideas. For sure it will grow together with my musicianship

STORY
I don't like to bore you to death with another guitar story, so I keep it tight. I play since I'm 14. My first inspiration was Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, System of a Down and Rock and Metal generally. I was bought by my parents some classical low quality guitar with nylon strings. I learned few chords few simple songs and that was it. I always felt frustrated about guitar, could not really push it forward. About 10 months back I found out what stops me is wrong tool for performing and I bought 2-nd hand electric guitar from a friend of friend along with audio interface. In this time I googled "most epic, cool, mindblowing guitarcourses 2020" and of course Justin's was there. I soaked in and up to this moment i completed 2 grades of NEW Begginer's Course. I feel super inspired, my skill has grown a lot since that kids shouting out some shanties at the fireplace (not really sober :D ). I'm at the right place in my guitar journey. It's not easy, it's not short, but it is satisfying and fulfilling.

My Gear:
Some Micheal Kelly, with 24 frets, floyd rose's licensed bridge. I love to play it however im not satisfied with my audio transferred to the computer via interface. I use Daddario 10's strings

Harley Benton solid spruce top, electroacoustic. My recent purchase. I love it for the sound and handiness. Downside is slightly not perfect set up - action. I use Martin's 11 strings

My starter guitar. I kind of hate it, but also love it since she's my first.

My gear resting on a bench :)

MY PERFORMANCE - feedback most welcome

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=49088.0

MY GOALS:
Short term: Consolidate what i've learned up to this point (completed 2 grades of Begginer's Course), be able to play Hotel California solo at full time, with at least half of the bends decent :D, also fingerstyle'ish: to play game of thrones arrangement.
Medium term: Dig into electric guitar signal transfer, get an amp, get better at DAWs and Guitar amp simulators.
Long Term: Share music with people, be able to jam together with other musicians on a stage, maybe join some local band.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT GUITAR
Fingerstyle - gives me a lot of joy. The flow of notes is just amazing. I want to develop this along with other guitar techniques :)

Rock covers - great power come together with those power chords, and palm muting

Solos - i love their place in music composition however i struggle as hell to get any simple solo nice at this point.

Singing - I prefer to consider myself more guitarist than singer, but also I quite like singing, despite i feel really bad at this, and very often uncomfortable. Maybe just need to practice and find my tone, for now I undertake some experiments with a capo. Strange that my fiancée encourages me very much. Also I heard a lot that I have a really nice voice. I think that ashames me the most for now (?)

Rythm techniques - I feels just right to master some tricky beat covering a song. I'd like to learn fingerstyle technique that introduce percussive hits on a low E string, also i have some small tambourine that can be attached to the foot.

SMALL BIO:
I'm 27 y/o. I live in Szczecin, Poland. For living I work aboard seagoing vessels, trading liquified gas. I kind of hate this job as it takes my life away from me so I plan to change it in next years. I'm embarking soon at 21 of April. I will have my electric with me to practice during a 4 months (  :'( )contract

That would be all for now.
Sorry to moderators if I have violated any rules or couldn't properly post images or links I will get better
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:28:13 am by zlybilly »

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
Re: zlybilly
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 02:50:05 pm »
Great to get to know you Billy, you shared a fascinating story with us. My hometown is Gryfice so at some point in the past we were in a quite close proximity to each other :) I really enjoyed your performances, you have really nice axes at your disposal, I am waiting to hear more from you in the recent future. And whenever you have a chance to switch your job - just do it, not worth wasting your life at doing something that takes so much out of your life if it is not your passion. Pozdro!

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 03:12:01 pm »
I just figured out that as an extension to my goals I try to keep the pace and as soon as I'm done with Hotel california and fingerstyle GoT theme I would share here. But this is not a matter of days, more like months at my stage, so I just try to keep  me focused on the target :)

According the job. Right I agree with you, I started to direct my activities toward short time at sea to have more life and this is a half step in the way of changing my job. I must admit guitar is one of things that keep me wanting have a normal life, jam buddies, band or whatever. Other is my dog, and Marta.

Cheers!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 05:44:58 pm »
Thanks for sharing your story, zlybilly, I always enjoy reading people's stories. Your acoustic sounds so good on that video, your performance was great as well.

Looking forward to updates as you continue, your goals are inspiring.

Hope you manage to find a new job that allows you to be home, for all those good reasons.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 06:19:39 am »
What a great read zb, it's good to know a bit more about you and what your passions and motivations are. I'm sure having your guitar and Justin course work with you while you're at sea will ease some of the pain. This could be a good time for some song writing too.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 07:55:26 am »

. I'm sure having your guitar and Justin course work with you while you're at sea will ease some of the pain. This could be a good time for some song writing too.

IT does! But... Can you imagine the pain of transferring guitar on a plane to 'faraway'? Every airport I visit on the way I pray that my guitar Rolls out unbroken and not stolen :) so far so good IT Has survived last contract.

All the jest, guys!

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 08:00:07 am »

IT does! But... Can you imagine the pain of transferring guitar on a plane to 'faraway'? Every airport I visit on the way I pray that my guitar Rolls out unbroken and not stolen :) so far so good IT Has survived last contract.

All the jest, guys!

If you continue to do a lot of travel, then maybe one of the travel guitar options that can fit in a back-pack pack with a headphone amp could be an option to consider for you. There've been a few discussions about these instruments over the last few years, and as I recall, the good ones work well, are more proper instruments rather than toys ... if you get what I mean.

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 11:45:43 am »
Yes I do. Now i travel with an audio interface (AKAI EIE PRO - it's big, heavy, not handy), headphones and a notebook - combined I receive mobile guitar studio :). However I'm constantly being disapointed by the quality of the sound i receive in DAW. I have not figured out yet if is it my fault(lack of experience) or hardware/software. Without a question I need further development in electric guitar sound and recording. I try to play with Guitar rig/Reaper settings every time I play instead of only switching on built-in presets. I feel that the SOUND is another whole new story. Another dimension to be familiar with. One can be overwhelmed but step by step I feel im getting it better.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 02:06:05 pm »
Yes I do. Now i travel with an audio interface (AKAI EIE PRO - it's big, heavy, not handy), headphones and a notebook - combined I receive mobile guitar studio :). However I'm constantly being disapointed by the quality of the sound i receive in DAW. I have not figured out yet if is it my fault(lack of experience) or hardware/software. Without a question I need further development in electric guitar sound and recording. I try to play with Guitar rig/Reaper settings every time I play instead of only switching on built-in presets. I feel that the SOUND is another whole new story. Another dimension to be familiar with. One can be overwhelmed but step by step I feel im getting it better.

Like everything else, lots to learn.

My comment was more in response to your fear of your guitar getting lost, stolen, or broken. I was thinking of setting yourself up with sufficient gear that is small enough and light weight to be in your carry-on baggage

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 09:15:30 pm »
I got You wrong then, I saw people travel with guitar in a softcase as a carry on luggage. Idea is great only I wonder what happens when A LINE at some airport declines your luggage. Softcase would not be possibile to send IT away under deck, even declaring registered luggage. Struggling of traveling with a guitar... I did quite a research on the web how people deal with IT and I have even found a handful of clues at Justinguitar.com :) https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/tips-for-flying-with-a-guitar-gm-111

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 05:25:21 am »
I got You wrong then, I saw people travel with guitar in a softcase as a carry on luggage. Idea is great only I wonder what happens when A LINE at some airport declines your luggage. Softcase would not be possibile to send IT away under deck, even declaring registered luggage. Struggling of traveling with a guitar... I did quite a research on the web how people deal with IT and I have even found a handful of clues at Justinguitar.com :) https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/tips-for-flying-with-a-guitar-gm-111

Have a read of this article, which is what I had in mind

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 09:36:41 am »
Mindblown! So cool axes!

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 12:26:50 pm »
Billy

Great share and some nice kit as well. Good to see you are planning and can see clear objectives as progress. I would suggest once you complete the Beginner and Intermediate modules, check out Blues Lead. All "modern" rock mid 60s to date is all influenced by the Blues and learning the language ie the licks will help you pick up soloing in the future. That helps you put things in perspective, rather than just looking at a sheet of tab. Also Blues Rhythm, which again is the foundation of rock, soft, hard, classic, metal et al.

Good to have you on board.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 09:00:04 am »
I will totally look IT up then. And they say blues is fun and easy. Fun is clearly there but I wouldnt say easy at this point :D

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:54:04 pm by zlybilly »

Offline zlybilly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 04:43:00 pm »
So little update on travelling with a guitar. We survived another trip. Szczecin-Berlin-Amsterdam-Panama, KLM does it right again. I check my guitar in, but they let me put it as an oversized baggage which is stored at the top of the "pile" which makes it safer. Of course I had some hard times when my guitar doesn't come out together with my second baggage piece but service helped me out find it (it was mixed with all the baggage that came at this time to the Tocumen Airport). Now I'm in the hotel since 3 days, taking the time to recover from the jetlag also grabbing the opportunity and exploring Panama City. Hey, it's beautiful here! Today is day 0 I will embark onboard for the next 4 months. I really hope for relaxed time on board, and good guitar progress.

For sure I got now restricted access to the forum, but I will catch up when I can. Rock on !

PS Travel tip: Always put small stuff (picks, allen keys) in a string bag. I have lost my favourite pick and an allen, possibly case was opened at the customs or whatever and it went missing...

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 05:48:38 pm »
Looks stunning, enjoy your trip and keep on practicing! :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 11:52:39 am »
Glad you and guitar travelled safely. Thanks for the great pictures. Wish you well and hope you'll be able to update very now and then with more pics.

Offline stackpop

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 10:38:51 pm »

My starter guitar. I kind of hate it, but also love it since she's my first.

I can relate, I have a nylon string from when I was a little kid. Totally sucks to play when you want to do rock but I just can't bring myself to sell it ;D

Thanks for sharing, hope you get some good practice in over the next 4 months and have a safe trip.
Epiphone Sheraton II, Noname Tele, Marshall MG30DFX

Working on the beginner course after over a decade hiatus :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App