Author Topic: Fender Mustang II V2 OR Black Star id core 10 v3  (Read 385 times)

Offline Akshay_chari

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
Fender Mustang II V2 OR Black Star id core 10 v3
« on: March 30, 2021, 11:05:54 am »
Which one is best for beginners?

Sent from my RMX1992 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
Re: Fender Mustang II V2 OR Black Star id core 10 v3
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 01:16:11 pm »
Which one is best for beginners?

Either are good.

I would, personally, tend towards the Blackstar for a beginner. The Mustang will give you more flexibility, and a wider range of sounds and options, but that comes at the price of increased complexity and the possibility of "option paralysis" (aka "the tyranny of choice").

For instance, the Mustang comes with models of "17 classic amplifiers". Realistically, you probably won't use more than 2 or 3 in anger, once you have got used to the amp, and you will need to go through the process of which 2 or 3 are the ones you like. And most people will base that on the factory preset patches.

The Blackstar comes with 6 core tones. This isn't the same as "6 emulations of amps". It's, basically, 2 or 3 core amp models with additional drive options.

Note that there's a huge amount of "tweakability" on each of those tone options by using the gain controls and EQ, so you can get a wide range of tones from these models. The same applies to each of the models on the Mustang, which is why, ultimately, almost everyone falls back to using 2 or 3 models and tweaking those to get the sound you need. More commonly, people just use a handful of predefined patches.

So, what I'm saying is: you don't need 17 amp models to sound good. And having 17 amp models may get in your way of learning, both learning to play and learning how to use a guitar amp. Selecting pre-defined patches will teach you almost nothing about how to use a guitar amp.

I should point out my mind has changed on this over the years: I used to suggest that everyone should experience a multi-fx system as there's loads to learn about different amp models, how effects work, and how to "tone tweak" without having to deal with the cost, commitment and technical complexity (power, noise, cabling) of individual pedals.

Multifx systems are a great way of learning about amps and pedals, but only if you are interested in diving into the guts of them. If all you do is select preset patches, then not only will you not learn anything useful, but it's likely you will learn to rely on preset patches and if you ever have to deal with a conventional non-modelling amp/pedal setup you won't know how to dial in a tone.

In my view, a significant part of learning electric guitar is learning the basics of how to use an amp.

So if exploring different amp models and effects is something that really interests you, and you think you would be happy to get into the guts of tweaking and experimenting with different amp emulations and effects, get the Mustang. If you aren't interested in that and just want something that sounds good, is easy to use, and still pretty flexible, (and if you are happy with the sound of the ID Core 10) then I would lean more towards the Blackstar.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Akshay_chari

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 01:25:40 pm »
Thank you so much that was really a quick and concise reply.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 04:38:26 pm »
What kind of music do you want to play? Why does it boil down to these two choices? The Mustang II would be a great value, but the Fuse software is no longer being worked on by Fender and is a bit dated now. Fuse software doesn't even work for me anymore on Mac, I keep an old PC thrasher running Win 10 around to run it. I've always liked the amp sim choices on the Fender amps, it feels like I have a closet full of amps in one box. A Fender LT25 amp would be my beginner choice, $150 US out the door. I don't know enough about the Black Star line to be honest.

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 11:10:03 pm »
Can't add much about the Black Star but I have a Mustang IIIv2. Great amp but the 100 original fx are carp and needed replacing. Great when the Fuse site was up and running, not so good now its gone. So yeah spent a year or so replacing the stock FX with those I like. But guess you could spend years adjusting each one. But the Mustang is still a good amp.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Akshay_chari

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 05:47:33 am »
Yeah I understand. What happened to fuse?

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 03:13:14 pm »
Fuse has been around a long time and is no longer being supported by Fender. Think of old computer systems, they may function but are no longer supported. Tech & engineering moves forward.

The big three amp sounds are: Fender|Marshall|Vox.
The Fender line of amps such as the LT-25 emulates multiples of these iconic amp sounds plus many others. Black Star, Katana, and the others have their own sound (and may even approximate one of the big three by default) and can be dialed in (to a lesser or greater degree) to sound pretty close to the big three. Don't rule out the cabinet emulation! The Fender line can get you the gritty/boxy Champ tone (think Layla) as well as a Twin Reverb with a 4x12 cab. It's pretty dang good -- how close is it to the real thing? Good enough for my ears that have been listening to all kinds of music for a long time.

You have to do your homework just like the rest of us, and it helps to have an idea of what kind of music you want to play (even if you can't play it yet). Do you have a favorite artist? They most likely play and/or record with one or more of the big three.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App