Author Topic: Precise instructions on learning guitar fretboard  (Read 500 times)

Offline skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Precise instructions on learning guitar fretboard
« on: March 20, 2021, 10:02:38 am »
I've finally decided it's time.  Fed-up of Justin tutting at me and telling me a guitarist should know the notes on the fretboard, he even called me a moron the other day :(

I'm smart enough to realize I have zero initiative.  I require precise instructions.

So YouTube showed me this  on my feed.  YouTube knew I was incapable of learning the fretboard without it telling me exactly how.

Thankyou youtube.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
Re: Precise instructions on learning guitar fretboard
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 04:15:26 pm »
You know what I actually started in a very limited manner to learn fretboard recently too and I even figured out the same first step which is to take note and jump between the strings trying to memorize distances between strings. Again I am just starting but this video is pretty good, actually I think Justin could have introduced something similar on his website :) definitely saving this one for the future and I will probably start straight away dedicating 5mins a day in my practice routine, thank you and vibes!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 04:45:35 pm »
@skeldol, that video is the method that I have been using for a while now. Play on playa!

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 06:15:09 pm »
It looks like Justin has an app out for this. I think the app might be a cool game but it really doesn't involve the guitar so basically it's the "memory" app.

I think the video method might be better because it uses playing.

The app could be totally redone to actually listen to the guitar and combine the video method with a pone/tablet.

New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 08:01:19 am »
Got all curious and watched the video. Big thumbs up, so thanks for sharing.

My 2cs FWIW ...

The first exercise is the same exercise that Justin recommends, as far as I can recall.  Again from memory, what is the difference. Justin makes use of the octave and interval shapes to help you to find the next note, Tommaso is saying using a fretboard diagram.

This is interesting.  Seems conceptually similar to what Chris Liepe recommended in his singing in tune video posted yesterday, where he says use a pitch meter to visually aid learning.

This use of a visual aid resonates with me.  It links to Justin's Practice Mistakes Permanent so the most important thing is to go slow and make no mistakes.

When Justin talks about learning your scale patterns he talks about up and down 4 times, if I recall correctly, at a BPM before increasing speed.  Tommaso says three error-free cycles before moving to the next note.

What would I add ... say the note aloud every time you play it.

What this is all about is muscle memory and ear-training.  My general experience says this method will work.  Of course, what one can't say is how long it will take.  Certainly best to spend the 5 minutes, 7 days a week. And then it will take as long as it will take.

I forget how Justin builds on his approach.

As for Justin's app ... I think it is more of a supplement to learning.  I used to use it when I was sitting in a meeting room waiting for somebody and had a couple of minutes.  I think it helps but what is the downside of making mistakes and of course there are none of the advantage of doing this on the instrument ... so more of a theoretical approach rather than practical, so no muscle memory.

The insight into learning that is shared here is powerful IMHO.  And I am sure with a little imagination and creativity, you can probably see how it is under-pinning other elements of Justin's programmes and you could figure out further learning drills based on this learning theory, both in your learning to play and maybe in the learning of other things. 

For example I can imagine using a similar approach to learn intervals, which may be as useful.

Learning how to learn may be the ultimate learning

Now I know the approach all I need to do is invest the 5 minutes...

Offline skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 08:47:25 am »

The first exercise is the same exercise that Justin recommends, as far as I can recall.  Again from memory, what is the difference. Justin makes use of the octave and interval shapes to help you to find the next note, Tommaso is saying using a fretboard diagram.

I've never seen a structured exercise by Justin on this.  I'm just starting the Intermediate course & Music Theory.  It's in the Music Theory that Justin says you really should be knowing the fretboard by now,so figured he was expecting me to show some initiative.   

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 09:14:33 am »
I've never seen a structured exercise by Justin on this.  I'm just starting the Intermediate course & Music Theory.  It's in the Music Theory that Justin says you really should be knowing the fretboard by now,so figured he was expecting me to show some initiative.

I just did a quick search. From those results, I think the lessons I have in mind are part of the paid Music Theory course.

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 02:17:05 pm »
I would offer a word of support for Justin’s app for those of us at an early stage as we look ahead to the more in depth learning.

It may not be physically on the guitar, but there are a lot of notes to remember and a very straightforward pattern. So you can use the app to see the pattern, learn how to quickly pick out the notes in several ways and then go to your guitar to connect to that.

I have played with the app for about 10 min and already I know the pattern and can (slowly) figure out what notes are where.   

The only thing I have memorized so far is the note circle and and the strings, it is all there. The app will get me to have the whole fretboard layout eventually solidified and then I can work to pick it all out on the guitar faster and faster.

I think it is a great tool at this early stage! Thanks again Justin!

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 79
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 05:21:52 am »
I haven't watched the video, but here's my experience on learning the fretboard. (FWIW, I wouldn't say I'm 100% confident, but I can find the pretty much any note I want within a few seconds, at this point. I know some better than others.)

I learned the notes on string 6 and 5 (which automatically gave me string 1), first.

Then I learned the octave positions based on what I already knew.

Then I learned common interval patterns (e.g., 5th, 7th, 6th, 9th, etc) from the root.

From there, you can get to pretty much any note you want if you think about it. After a while, you start to just kind of "know" where the note is and don't have to think about it any more.

I say the most helpful exercises, for me, were the circle of fifths exercise (play every C, play every G, etc), and also learning triads on different string groupings (e.g., triads on strings 1-2-3, 2-3-4, 3-4-5, 4-5-6).

In my case, it definitely wasn't something I learned "all at once." It came a piece at a time, over a period of time.

EDIT: Sight reading exercises helped, too.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 06:53:29 am »
The method in the video is an excersise which is tought by Justin, only i can't remember where exactly.
I think it's in the practical music theory section, but not sure. I'm going to look that up and report back.

I've used this method and a combo of the Mind Bending Note Finding Game and mnemonics.
Using octaves is also a good way of learning the fretboard.
That way, you "only" have to know 2 strings.

I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 248
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 04:39:34 pm »
I never really tried to learn the fret board it just happened over the years by learning
chords all over the neck.
Startkng with the E and A shape bar chirds.
The E shape tbe roots are on strings E D and e
The A shape the roots are on strings A and G
The D shape the roots are on strings D and B
The C shape the roots are on strings A and B
The G shape the roots are on strings E G and e

You can start learning the notes as soon as you know any of these chords in open position.
I never discovered this until I started learning the intervals in scales but you don't need to
wait until them. Start learning the foot notes in the chords you already know.
For example the note C in a Open C chord are on the C and B strings so when you learn
how to use the chord up the neck (the C7 shape is very easy and usefull) you will know
where all the root notes are.

It is more useful to know the chords/scale intervals than the actual name of the notes
For example if you know the relationship of the major 3rd to the root note on every string
You will know where the minor 3rd is snd the is what makes a chord major or minor.
So once you know all 12 major E shaped bar chords you also know every E shaped minor
chord without having to learn them.
Works with ever chord shape in every key.  Also works with every scale shape in ever key.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App