Author Topic: Improv based on a Chet Atkins lesson  (Read 597 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
Improv based on a Chet Atkins lesson
« on: March 15, 2021, 03:58:38 am »
I feel embarrassed being here with the big kids and calling my little ditty an improv. So why am I here? It's one of the commitments I made to myself at the start of the year. It combines with another goal, to chip away at stage fright and the horrible internal dialogue that goes with it.

I've been working through the lessons the Richard gave on the lesson by Chet Atkins. https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=43021.0

Like the story of the one that got away, I'd played something I was pleased with earlier. It was more interesting than this.  I wasn't recording at the time. My fingers just knew where to go and in a rhythmic, melodic way.  All sorts of pretty things wove in and around and they worked. Got Red Button Nerves and it all went downhill.

Despite David's attempts to show me, I don't know how to get an mp3 from a video so I put my Zoom in front of the laptop and recorded Chet's students playing. Then I put Zoom in front of the amp to capture the whole mess. If there is someone who could make me a decent recording from the video that would be fantastic. EDIT Clint has given me a link so cancel this request. Then I'll give myself another shove to learn how to record Batman into Reaper. The video is at the head of the thread linked earlier in this post.

https://soundcloud.com/user-32910351/improv-in-c-for-chet-01/s-6z0BWBFC02X
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:09:44 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
Re: Improv based on a Chet Atkins lesson
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 04:58:22 am »
Sounded good! Really nice little ditty, light and airy. The tone had a piano/harpsichord sound to it, and a bit less guitar-like to my ears. Still very melodic and pleasant. A very nice accomplishment -- venturing out into a different sonic headspace. Well done!

As for YT video to mp3, I copy the video link and paste it into: https://mpshark.com/
Then drag and drop the downloaded mp3 into your DAW project file. Next just create a new track in your DAW and record your guitar part. You'll end up with a file having two tracks, the mp3 track and your guitar track. Enjoy!   

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 05:06:42 am »
As for YT video to mp3, I copy the video link and paste it into: https://mpshark.com/
Then drag and drop the downloaded mp3 into your DAW project file. Next just create a new track in your DAW and record your guitar part. You'll end up with a file having two tracks, the mp3 track and your guitar track. Enjoy!   

Worked a treat Clint. Thankyou. You've just added a very useful skill to my tool kit.

Now to learn how to record Batman into the DAW.  I'm going to keep chipping away at this project, there's a lot I can learn.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 05:52:45 am »
Bravo, Maggie ... good for you to be exploring music making and sharing here. I enjoyed listening to your production and brought back memories of when you first shared this, Richard's explanations, and my own exploration.

Recording Batman ... 2 ways. You can set either of your mics up in front of the amp and record in the same way that you record vocals. Or you can plug the guitar cable into your audio interface and record that way.

I would opt for the latter and then use plug-ins in the DAW to add the sound of amps and even pedals after you've played.  As I recall you have Waves GTR?  But if not there are free options you could use. 

What is cool about that is you can experiment after the fact with different tones, whereas if you record playing through your amp, the sound is what it is as you played.

Downside is you don't hear any tone when recording unless you've already added some fx and are listening back through headphones as you play.

How do you play back the backing track at the moment ... via the amp or from the DAW?

And now I am feeling inspired to take up this challenge at some point.

Bravo !!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 08:54:20 am »
Recording Batman ... 2 ways. You can set either of your mics up in front of the amp and record in the same way that you record vocals. Or you can plug the guitar cable into your audio interface and record that way.

I would opt for the latter and then use plug-ins in the DAW to add the sound of amps and even pedals after you've played.  As I recall you have Waves GTR?  But if not there are free options you could use. 

How do you play back the backing track at the moment ... via the amp or from the DAW?

Thanks David. I'll give DI a go for the reasons you mention. Yes I have Waves GTR.  I've been playing backing tracks through the amp and Zoom picks up both backing and my amazing playing.

I hope to see your interpretation of Chet's music soon.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 09:26:33 am »

Thanks David. I'll give DI a go for the reasons you mention. Yes I have Waves GTR.  I've been playing backing tracks through the amp and Zoom picks up both backing and my amazing playing.

I hope to see your interpretation of Chet's music soon.

The recording you made with the Zoom sounded OK to me. If you have an original mp3 (rather than the recording you made playing it back on the LT), as per Clint's approach, would be even better.

I don't have a BK50 so don't know how it works ... if you play the backing as an aux input is it also subjected to the fx dialed in on the amp?

Thinking further, does the BK50 have the ability to be connected to the PC to be a sound source for recording?  And if it does would you still hear the guitar out the amp speaker when playing?

If yes to the above that may be way to go since then you could perhaps play without having to wear headphones, which I think would be preferable for you. 

Me having a jam ... soon is such a relative term  ;) And right at the moment I have a lot on the go. Oh for more hours in the day ... this working for a living does interfere in my music-making  ;D

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 02:05:15 pm »
What a lovely blast from the past and what a thrill to think it has led you to exploring improvisational ventures on your G&L.
Terrific.
:)

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 02:46:24 pm »
Brilliant stuff Maggie good for you for publishing your impros. I think you did quite well and you added your own pinch of creativity which made it even more interesting to listen :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 09:05:37 pm »
Thankyou Clint, David, Richard and Adrian for your positivity, encouragement and gentleness.

The inner demons have been having a field day since I posted. They choked when I showed them your comments.

The things I'll improve are:
* complete the phrases so that they resolve or to use Richard's words 'close the cadence to make it an authentic cadence.'
* sustain the notes rather than jump abruptly from one to the next
* land smack bang on the right place on the string and stay there. Sometimes I take it off pitch because I'm bending it a little.
* get closer to the fret. I don't have enough stretch to reach from one note to the next in places, especially when I play G in the 1st position. I land between frets on the side of the finger,  so I have to jump this causes the problem noted prior.
* make the rhythm tighter
* make the melody sync tighter with the track with more interaction and conversation.

I'd like to record my own backing as per Richards lesson too. Step by step I'll get there.

At least I've broken the ice. Thanks friends  :-*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:13:18 pm by batwoman »

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 03:10:09 am »
Thankyou Clint, David, Richard and Adrian for your positivity, encouragement and gentleness.

The inner demons have been having a field day since I posted. They choked when I showed them your comments.

The things I'll improve are:
* complete the phrases so that they resolve or to use Richard's words 'close the cadence to make it an authentic cadence.'
* sustain the notes rather than jump abruptly from one to the next
* land smack bang on the right place on the string and stay there. Sometimes I take it off pitch because I'm bending it a little.
* get closer to the fret. I don't have enough stretch to reach from one note to the next in places, especially when I play G in the 1st position. I land between frets on the side of the finger,  so I have to jump this causes the problem noted prior.
* make the rhythm tighter
* make the melody sync tighter with the track with more interaction and conversation.

I'd like to record my own backing as per Richards lesson too. Step by step I'll get there.

At least I've broken the ice. Thanks friends  :-*

Maggie, you’ve spread your wings a bit further with this.  It’s a great start, and you are analyzing and experimenting.  I just finished my review of the beginner course and the first new lesson of the intermediate, and one thing Justin emphasizes is to have fun and experiment.  It’s a great way to learn. It’s not going to be 100 percent, but with the right attitude- like yours - it shows us what is good and what areas we can improve upon.  Kudos to you for posting this. I enjoyed it. It encourages me - with my glass half empty most of the time - to follow your lead. Thanks for that and your music.  Improvisation can be fun, and the more you do the easier it becomes. Looking forward to more of this type thing from you.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 182
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 02:30:02 pm »
Maggie

Glad to see you taking this further. Sounding good, nicely laid back but really melodic. Keep at it and keep feeling your way.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 12:12:59 am »
Maggie

Glad to see you taking this further. Sounding good, nicely laid back but really melodic. Keep at it and keep feeling your way.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Generous Toby thankyou. It's a start and I can only get better.

Maggie, you’ve spread your wings a bit further with this.  It’s a great start, and you are analyzing and experimenting.  I just finished my review of the beginner course and the first new lesson of the intermediate, and one thing Justin emphasizes is to have fun and experiment.  It’s a great way to learn. It’s not going to be 100 percent, but with the right attitude- like yours - it shows us what is good and what areas we can improve upon.  Kudos to you for posting this. I enjoyed it. It encourages me - with my glass half empty most of the time - to follow your lead. Thanks for that and your music.  Improvisation can be fun, and the more you do the easier it becomes. Looking forward to more of this type thing from you.

You're right about Justin's message about having fun and experimenting. This was part of the push for me to take this step. I'm working through the new beginners course, it's fantastic. Thankyou for encouraging me, though I have to wonder how I've encouraged you Mr Fast Fingers of the Cool Tones and a whole lot more.

In what way is your glass half empty Dave?

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 01:58:05 pm »
Well done Maggie. Your muckin’ round is bearing fruit. That was very melodic and very creative. The key thing is you’ve identified the areas you want to improve on. That’s the key ingredient for progress.

The term improvisation makes it sound easy as the inference is that anything will do. I know from my muckin round that that is certainly not the case. I’m struggling to sound melodic and not sound as if I’m going up and down scales.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 11:04:37 pm »
The term improvisation makes it sound easy as the inference is that anything will do. I know from my muckin round that that is certainly not the case. I’m struggling to sound melodic and not sound as if I’m going up and down scales.

Gordon have you looked at the lesson on Chet that Richard gave us? https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=43021.0  It may give you some ideas, take the struggle away and encourage you. If you want a copy of the .pdf that David made of Richard's lesson, pm me your email address.

Thanks a lot for your comment and encouragement, remember it's a reciprocal thing, so post us your improv. Folk have been so gentle and encouraging of my first wobbly toddler steps.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App