Author Topic: Boss Katana and expression pedal  (Read 751 times)

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
Boss Katana and expression pedal
« on: March 09, 2021, 01:48:41 am »
Hi all, question about Katana and expression pedal - are you able to set up control of two or more effects at once via single expression pedal (reverb and boost for instance) or are you only available to change one type of effect at once? If you can do more than two what setup would I need gear wise, katana 50, 100, ga-fc?

I have Katana 50 and I am unable to find this feature in tone studio which makes me think if this model of amp can pull it off or would I require some other kit (like Katana 100 and/or other stuff)?

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
Re: Boss Katana and expression pedal
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 10:08:34 am »
I'm pretty certain you can't control two or more effects just using the expression pedal with Kat 50. I think it might be possible to control 1 but even that might not be as you'd expect. GAFC only works with KAT100 and higher.

You might be better looking at separate pedals or a MFX pedal e.g. Boss GT1 or similar, either going into the front or the Power Amp In (which I think is on later models of Kat50 - basically bypasses pre-amp and built in fx) if you want to control multiple effects from a footpedal perspective.

Alternatively setup a preset with your two effects on, copy it and then turn one of the effects off and save it. Then just use your footpedal to move between the two presets. There will be a momentary cutoff...which may or may not work for you.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 03:27:15 pm »
No, you can't. At least not on the Mk1 versions. I don't know about the Mk2 as I've not used one.

In the Mark 1, the "chain" is set to specific blocks: Booster, Mod, Delay, FX, Delay2 & Reverb

In the "Assign" area, for each control (e.g. expression pedal) you can select which of these blocks it can control using the "Function" drop down.

Note the Function selection includes "Pedal FX/FV" which means the control will vary the volume if the FX is turned off, and the FX parameter if it's turned on. Using this you can have the expression pedal control the volume most of the time, and then turn on (say) a wah effect and have the expression pedal control that.

Once you have selected which "function" you want to control, within each block you say which of the parameters of the effect you want it to control. Within the "MOD/FX" block you can set this up differently for each of the effect types (e.g. Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Uni-V, Tremolo, Vibrato, Rotary, Ring Mod, etc.) but you can only have one of these active at a time.

On the Katana 100 you can have a second expression pedal connected to the GA-FX so you could, for instance, use one to control volume, and the other as an independent wah, or any other combination of two parameters. Potentially you could even have each pedal control different parameters of the same effect. For instance you could have EXP#1 controlling Vibrato depth, and EXP#2 controlling Vibrato rate.

The other thing you could potentially do is do it via MIDI: all of the Katana models can have effects parameters altered using MIDI. Unfortunately only the Katana 100 Head actually has a native MIDI interface. For all the others you would have to use MIDI over USB, which would involve a computer and a fair bit of programming, or something like a Primovasound MIDX-20 adapter.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 03:44:57 pm »
Understood thank you guys, I was under the impression after fidling around that only 1 effect can be altered at a time.

Rossco I don't know if I am able to switch between presets with an exp pedal at all? Do you know if it's possible on Katana and if so how can I achieve it?

Unfortunately Keith my programming skills are zero to none so I think most cost effective option for me would be to either invest in MFX or in a pedalboard with a few pedals that might be of interest to me.

Anywho it's more for a future but I started to wonder when playing around what is achievable, thanks for your help!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 04:38:13 pm »
You probably can't switch between presets with the exp pedal BUT I thought you could add an additional footswitch just to switch between presets. I may be wrong though...I literally only use the pre-amp part as backup to my PodGo now and feed it through the FX return.

Looks like this YT vid may help

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 05:37:15 pm »
Yes thats great seems like I either need to replace my amp one day with a 100 or buy mfx. Long way to do either so I will just start with changing one effect at once thanks!

Offline spinifex

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 04:32:41 pm »
Hi all, question about Katana and expression pedal - are you able to set up control of two or more effects at once via single expression pedal (reverb and boost for instance) or are you only available to change one type of effect at once? If you can do more than two what setup would I need gear wise, katana 50, 100, ga-fc?

I have Katana 50 and I am unable to find this feature in tone studio which makes me think if this model of amp can pull it off or would I require some other kit (like Katana 100 and/or other stuff)?

Sent from my SM-G973F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]
Howdy - for the Katana 50 only presets saved on CH1 or CH2 and Bank panel A or B can be controlled via footswitch. 

My approach is to set up Effects with tone studio.  I also pay attention to the Red, Green and Amber Effects when setting up the tone:  my approach is to choose effects that fit in with the overall tone of the preset.  I then save as CH1 A, CH2 A, CH1 B and CH2 B as appropriate.  Most of my time is spent  removing the Phaser effect and replacing with anything else.

I have just moded a two switch stomp box that I bought on the Internet... I found your post while researching how to wire up the circuit.  I have been trying to run LEDs via the Katana TRS... without success.  The Ring can power a LED, but the Tip does not have enough Voltage to light the LED.  So adding a 9V battery along with 2 new 3PDT switches...

The stomp box is used to change between tones and all are different.   If I want to change the tone slightly I then need to press the LED on the top of the amp.  I don't do this too often as I am very lazy and it defeats the need for a foot control.

I could not find an affordable two switch stomp box that works out of the box for the Katana 50; all affordable generic boxes I found require some modification.  I am taking it too far with my next mods... I like to tinker and learn.

Happy to share more information if interested.

Sent from my SM-G988B using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 12:44:38 am »
Hi spinifex,

I believe the OP was talking about an expression pedal, not a footswitch.

If you are after a cheaper footswitch for the Katana 50, there's a few places that sell compatible pedals. Bright Onion Pedals is one I have bought stuff from before.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline spinifex

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 12:06:34 pm »
Yeah, my mistake - I just did a Google search. 

Sent from my SM-G988B using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App