Author Topic: Piyush - My progress roadcase  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: Piyush - My progress roadcase
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2021, 03:41:39 pm »
I think it really helps to have a portion of the practice be something that feels good. Simple is ok, just enjoy it.

Offline tjc_

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 12:43:52 pm »
@Piyush - really great progress between your first video and your second.

Motivation is hard and for me what worked best was to just push on when I was bored or tired of doing the same thing. Once you get through the first few chords the number of songs that are available to play is huge and that is really what kept me at it. My advice is to do what will keep you playing, move on when you feel you are ready, or just need a change and keep practicing!

Looking forward to your next video.

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 04:22:04 pm »
I think it really helps to have a portion of the practice be something that feels good. Simple is ok, just enjoy it.

Yes thats true. So i did my Practice session today and felt pretty good. i did the routine that justin has prescribed in Lesson 1 Module 2, Played the song Three little birds by Bob marley. but i'll be honest i was getting off beat and off rhythm with it. so after the session i started jamming some chords that i just played yesterday. its not perfect but more experienced players with like the melody i'm sure.

Progress - Lesson 1 Module 2
1 month 2 weeks into training

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 05:51:08 pm »
Good plan. I struggle a lot with rhythm and timing and around the “month in”mark started doing a lot of work with that. I am now about 3 months in and am seeing how helpful that has been.

Whenever my fretting fingers were sore (and lots of other times) I would (and still) strum. Strum with muted or open strings. With a metronome. Down, down, down forever it seemed, slowly advancing with different metronome beats, dropped beats, adding more strumming patterns. Foot tapping to a metronome in the car, or to whatever music I listen to. I still need lots and lots of this, but am starting to be able to strum a simple rhythm and change a few cords so it is less monotonous. But doing strumming, incessantly, with a metronome, makes a big difference. At least for me. My family hates it...

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2021, 06:21:17 pm »
Good plan. I struggle a lot with rhythm and timing and around the “month in”mark started doing a lot of work with that. I am now about 3 months in and am seeing how helpful that has been.

Whenever my fretting fingers were sore (and lots of other times) I would (and still) strum. Strum with muted or open strings. With a metronome. Down, down, down forever it seemed, slowly advancing with different metronome beats, dropped beats, adding more strumming patterns. Foot tapping to a metronome in the car, or to whatever music I listen to. I still need lots and lots of this, but am starting to be able to strum a simple rhythm and change a few cords so it is less monotonous. But doing strumming, incessantly, with a metronome, makes a big difference. At least for me. My family hates it...
So i should add strumming pratice in my routines now ? Or it will come in future lessons.

Whats your strum routine like ? just down strokes ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2021, 06:42:44 pm »
It does come in future lessons, but I added it in because I was frustrated that I couldn’t hold a beat enough to feel good playing along on the app.

Maybe just start with down strums to the metronome at different beat rates. Start slow and work up. Justin’s metronome app can do all that with you.

It gives the left hand fingers a rest and keeps the guitar in your hands when they hurt. When the down strums feel a little more in time and consistent, try down/up strums. You can look ahead to some of Justin’s strumming lessons in the beginner course for help.

I felt the need, because it is an area I really am not good at, and the whole thing feels better as the strumming gets smoother.

A trick that was hard to realize: the down and up strums are the same speed and timing!

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2021, 09:35:32 pm »

Hi Piyush
You’re making good progress. Well done for posting your video.
An observation from me. You’re still resting your fretting arm on your leg. This is a no no! If you look at your wrist in the video it’s at a very awkward angle. Lift your arm off your leg and raise your guitar neck a little above the horizontal. This will allow your wrist to be at a more comfortable angle and you’ll find it’s easier to fret your chords.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2021, 11:40:14 pm »
Hi Piyush
You’re making good progress. Well done for posting your video.
An observation from me. You’re still resting your fretting arm on your leg. This is a no no! If you look at your wrist in the video it’s at a very awkward angle. Lift your arm off your leg and raise your guitar neck a little above the horizontal. This will allow your wrist to be at a more comfortable angle and you’ll find it’s easier to fret your chords.

yes you're right i've been noticing bad posture while playing rounded back and resting my arm on the leg are two bad habbits i've picked up from now on i'll keep that on my mind and hopefully next time you'll see it corrected thanx for the feedback

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 05:56:28 am »
Piyush, you are making good progress, keep it up.

I echo Gordon's comment, that's one to pay attention to.

From a strumming perspective, concentrate on 4 down strums, working with a metronome.  Mute strings initially and then when you are more relaxed and in the groove add chords and changing between the three. As you were doing in the video, though I think I heard an extra down strum on the "&" count.  It's not exciting to be working with the metronome, but will pay off big time.

Well done

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 08:41:58 am »
Week 7 lesson 1 Module 2

So i'm done with module but i still dont feel confident enough to move to module 3

From a strumming perspective, concentrate on 4 down strums, working with a metronome.  Mute strings initially and then when you are more relaxed and in the groove add chords and changing between the three. As you were doing in the video, though I think I heard an extra down strum on the "&" count.  It's not exciting to be working with the metronome, but will pay off big time.

Well done

I havent added any Strumming Practice items to my routine yet but here what my routine looks like

1. E to e string pick ( D U D U D U ) 4 mins
2. Chord Perfect E - 37 - 2 Mins
3. Chord Perfect A - 27 - 2mins
4. Chord Perfect D - 26 - 2 mins
5. Anchor Finger Work -  87 -2 mins
6. 1 Minute Changes A-E - 41
7. 1 Minute Changes A-D - 84
8. 1 Minute Changes D-E - 32

i payed more attention on my posture this week took 3 days off in between every other day

my back starts to hurt after a while but i'm trying to control it. also i noticed since i started playing with a straight back my my left arm seems to get tire more often.

next week i wanna start the next module but i'm not sure

here's my anchor finger work

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 09:16:42 am »
Hi Piyush
Great to see that you’ve lifted your arm off your leg and raised your guitar neck. Well done.

However, you can’t practise chord changes without strumming the chord. Ok you can practise getting your fingers into the correct shape but without strumming you can’t tell how accurate your fingering is and there is no point practising only to find that when you add in strumming you’ve got muted notes, buzzing strings etc. As Justin says ‘practice makes permanent’.

You need to practise slower chord changes while strumming a simple down strum rather than faster changes without.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2021, 09:42:08 am »
Looks like you are making progress, Piyush.  Slow and steady will get you there.

On the posture, I'd suggest keep experimenting with the guitar position relative to your body, how it sits on your leg, the angle of the neck, until you find the position that is just right. I imagine that the more upright posture may be unfamiliar and your core and back muscles will take a little while to strengthen and get used to it. 

Your wrist looks like it might still be bent a little awkwardly.  Hard to tell given how camera angles can be deceptive. 

As I say keep working this as you should be able to find a comfortable position.

Looking at the chords, you seem to be moving ahead well.  As sairfingers said if when doing a drill like that useful to strum the chord after each change, maybe two down strums change two down strums. Perhaps slightly raked strums ie slowly hitting the strings to hear how cleanly you have fretted the chord.

It did look to me as if you could move your fingers up a little closer to the fret on the D and A chords. Again may just be the camera angle.

Keep doing what you are doing, take your time, and if not comfortable then don't move on.  Just work patiently and you will lay a solid foundation which will pay off in the longer term as you continue to add chords.

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2021, 10:18:38 am »
Hi Piyush
Great to see that you’ve lifted your arm off your leg and raised your guitar neck. Well done.

However, you can’t practise chord changes without strumming the chord. Ok you can practise getting your fingers into the correct shape but without strumming you can’t tell how accurate your fingering is and there is no point practising only to find that when you add in strumming you’ve got muted notes, buzzing strings etc. As Justin says ‘practice makes permanent’.

You need to practise slower chord changes while strumming a simple down strum rather than faster changes without.
You know what thats exactly what i was thinking. I think I'll give it another week before moving on to next module. What do you say ? Because i noticed I'm always racing for pace rather than slow and clear notes most of it is because of that stats option in the practice module. In pursuit of improving my stats I'm compromising quality.

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2021, 10:23:51 am »
Looks like you are making progress, Piyush.  Slow and steady will get you there.

On the posture, I'd suggest keep experimenting with the guitar position relative to your body, how it sits on your leg, the angle of the neck, until you find the position that is just right. I imagine that the more upright posture may be unfamiliar and your core and back muscles will take a little while to strengthen and get used to it. 

Your wrist looks like it might still be bent a little awkwardly.  Hard to tell given how camera angles can be deceptive. 

As I say keep working this as you should be able to find a comfortable position.

Looking at the chords, you seem to be moving ahead well.  As sairfingers said if when doing a drill like that useful to strum the chord after each change, maybe two down strums change two down strums. Perhaps slightly raked strums ie slowly hitting the strings to hear how cleanly you have fretted the chord.

It did look to me as if you could move your fingers up a little closer to the fret on the D and A chords. Again may just be the camera angle.

Keep doing what you are doing, take your time, and if not comfortable then don't move on.  Just work patiently and you will lay a solid foundation which will pay off in the longer term as you continue to add chords.
Thanx this was huge help. I'll stick to this module focusing on slow and clear strums. I'll ignore the stats obsession now. And about the guitar position it sits on my leg just fine i can hold it with my right elbow without any problem but you're right my left arm feels a little awkward. Especially the wrist. I'll try to figure out the position before starting my session from now on. And practice the strums like you advised. Thanks this was huge help.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2021, 11:18:18 am »
.....i noticed I'm always racing for pace rather than slow and clear notes most of it is because of that stats option in the practice module. In pursuit of improving my stats I'm compromising quality.
You’ve hit the nail on the head Piyush. Learning guitar is a slow process, there is no escaping that fact. At the end of the day you want clean chords and steady strumming. Your end goal in learning guitar is to make music, not fill in meaningless stats on an app or spreadsheet. Stats are for accountants and bean counters.

Stick in and good luck.

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2021, 02:52:28 pm »
I meant to comment a bit ago, it also looks like you are sitting on the edge of a bed playing. That may promote poor postures. I sit in a hard couch and don’t think it is optimal either. It would probably do both of us good to find a regular chair or something.

I  think of this as training for a marathon. If I got off my couch, I wouldn’t be able to run 26 miles. I don’t run now, so I would have to start small like jog around the block, slowly. Then I would hurt for a few days and wish I was dead. I would also stretch and to other conditioning exercises, so I could feel less like I wish I was dead. Then I would do it again. Until I could run the marathon.

Don’t forget the conditioning exercises. Right now I wish I had another 5mm pinky reach and another 5 degrees of forearm supination. Those things will help a lot, but take work and time..

Offline skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2021, 03:33:32 pm »
I'm pretty sure sitting on a couch caused shoulder pain that caused me to lay off practice.  I'm an old man and have learnt the hard way to always use a proper chair.  Since using a chair no shoulder pain.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 03:25:59 pm »
Okay so i did my practice today as you guys suggested. What i did was did my regular routine but increased the time 3x and focused on perfect chord practice mostly. The only problem i faced was after a while i felt the need to press the strings real hard to make them sound clean otherwise one of the strings would start buzzing. Could it be because of the indentations on my fingers caused by the strings ? I took a break in between gabe my fingers some rest and back to strumming chords but again after a while i had to press them really hard.

Any tips for that ?

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 04:01:19 pm »
Once your calluses strengthen up it will get better, no real tips on this one just carry on what you are doing and it will sort itself out :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2021, 04:08:46 pm »
One thing I am finding, for myself anyway, is that the need to practice something holding or using the same cord for a while is tough. When I practice a song using the song app, changing cords rapidly, my fingers handle it pretty well, but if I am squishing the same cord again and again, or holding it for a while while trying to strum a pattern, or trying yet again to get it to sound right, it kills. The problem for me is that I can’t really be attentive to movement of the left and right hand together yet. I suppose it will come, but even with pretty decent callouses, holding the thin strings too long is painful.

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2021, 04:54:18 pm »
One thing I am finding, for myself anyway, is that the need to practice something holding or using the same cord for a while is tough. When I practice a song using the song app, changing cords rapidly, my fingers handle it pretty well, but if I am squishing the same cord again and again, or holding it for a while while trying to strum a pattern, or trying yet again to get it to sound right, it kills. The problem for me is that I can’t really be attentive to movement of the left and right hand together yet. I suppose it will come, but even with pretty decent callouses, holding the thin strings too long is painful.
Thats exactly what I'm facing. Holding a chord too long does this. Or repeating it again and again.

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2021, 06:58:43 pm »
My solution is, once the discomfort reaches the tolerance point, to do something different. At this stage of my training, there are soooooooooo many things to practice. I can find one with other fingers involved. Or I can listen to music. Can’t forget that part. I am not in a hurry.

Offline Twin Six

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2021, 05:39:44 pm »
In my admittedly limited experience, calluses & hand strength for holding chords progress in tandem. As these develop, I find that I can practice & play longer before experiencing pain or fatigue.
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar
Fender Squier Bullet Telecaster
Vox Valvetronic VT20X

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 04:56:10 am »
Haven't done much practice last week only 1 session hopefully this week I'll continue. A sudden loss of interest. But I'm updating you guys as it is. Let's hope I'll be able to retain what I've learn this week.

Offline Piyush

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2021, 10:24:59 am »
So m back to practicing after skipping a week
And surprisingly i was able to play it better i don't know how or why. I felt like I'm ready to move to the next module
Here's my progress
https://youtu.be/MZOQ_zW5XZY

Get The Forum As A Mobile App