Author Topic: Virtual Open Mics  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
Virtual Open Mics
« on: March 03, 2021, 08:16:33 am »
So less a video of my performance and more a pointer to what is happening in the current climate (and has been for a while in my local area). A lot of the Open Mics have gone "online" and are running via Facebook as either a "pre recorded" show or really "live" performance via FB. 

The pre-recorded ones are obviously a lot easier. You record your three songs, send it to the person running the open mic and the stitch it together with others then it's played on the open mic night as one long stream. It doesn't sound like it will be very interactive but in fact they are as interactive as the "live" ones and probably better supported (less pressure to perform).

The live ones are as they say live. So you ask for a slot, get given a rough time and then the Open Mic starts and people perform one after the other live. They work really well BUT definitely more pressure.

Thought I would post here as I know many might have an inkling to perform to a wider audience and these are definitely a "next step" if you're used to posting recordings in the AVOYP section. Indeed the pre-recorded ones are just an extension of that. The live ones another step up.

Take a search in your local facebook groups and you might find some to have a go at!

So my "pre-recorded" open mic is here. I at about the 2:19 mark.

https://fb.watch/3_-BohbSlz/

and my first go at a live event (last night) is here >> https://www.facebook.com/518444121/videos/10159297786094122/

Completely fluffed Mrs Robinson but kept going to the end! it was a rare acoustic moment for me lol. Good fun and I'll definitely be slotting in a few more... I think there are at least 3 a week in my area at the moment. Just need to learn a few more songs.

Another thought is that maybe we - as a community - might light to consider a similar "Open Mic" on facebook as well. I can see a few challenges with timezones etc. but might be worth considering. Definitely doable as you'll see in Facebook and highly interactive via the comments. I'm happy to try and organise a trial one if people are interested.

Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Virtual Open Mics
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 08:23:07 am »
I've just tracked along to find your opening song - Mystify. Great idea and well done on both your participatory slots.
I'm sure there will be some people interested in discussing your JG open mic idea further.
:)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 09:08:56 am »
Thanks for sharing, Jason.

Firstly enjoyed both your performances. That PRS is fabulous and the use of the Trio works so well.  Though I'm equally happy with a simple solo acoustic performance. Perhaps for the acoustic set the guitar was a little loud. No idea how you were set up and what potential you have to balance the mix.

As for the Forum, I think there is a lot to be gained to extend the "One Take Wed" concept into a three song set, with a little bit of audience interaction. Can't think of a better way to help prepare for the real deal of a live face-audience OM, when those are again possible.

As for a live Forum virtual OM, that is an interesting idea, I think there'd be a time slot in the morning for us folk in EMEA that would be late afternoon/evening in eastern Australia and night the day before over in the USA/Canada. Would need to be done over a weekend, given that I don't think we'd be able to find a suitable weekday slot that accommodated those with day jobs.

You can count me in provided that the time works out. Would be pretty cool to have a virtual live meet up of the Forum Friends, since even without Covid restrictions, the global nature means and real meet-up is not that likely, at least not one that brings folks from the different continents and countries together. Heck, even Barend and I meeting up for a face-face jam is pretty unlikely, given the distance between Johannesburg and Cape Town.

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:12:43 am »
Really well done Rossco, I watched your live performance and cracking choice of songs. You did pretty well I would say, only comment I have is for the future make perhaps your mic louder and guitar playing in the background. As a member of a guitar forum I don't mind guitsr being main track but for a live performance I would prefer guutar running in the background :) again I loved the whole open mic and I think you were brilliant and by the look of comments you got - I think people did too :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 09:19:49 am »
Cheers David and Adrian. You know getting the guitar/vocal balance right was something I struggled with all week as it just wasn't my normal set-up. I thought i'd got it about right BUT actually the guitar was way too loud (people on the night were very kind and didn't say anything  :) ) It was all going through my mixer so easy to balance..BUT it sounded reasonably balanced out of the mixer and it was only in FB that it sounded out...so more playing around required. Doesn't help that I acoustic is not something I play that often now BUT was appropriate for that event than Electric.

Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 09:45:27 am »
That is curious, Jason. Beyond me to speculate as to how the level could be different on FB vs the output from the mixer.

If we did a Forum live event, given no collaboration I guess we could also use one of the online meeting apps.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 09:54:05 am »
@DavidP
I agree timing is always going to be tricky one and we may have to accept we set-up different sessions (even if at a weekend). I think we'd also have to consider how many songs. 3 is the standard for an open mic and usually means 15 mins of playing. However for this group - mostly people learning - we might want to make it two songs to start with. We had 11 people last night. It started at 7:30pm and didnt finish until 10:30pm which is a long night. So reducing it to two songs with a max of 12 people would reduce the time considerably and perhaps make it more inclusive for those starting the journey. For it to work people need to hang around and support each other as well so two hours is less demanding.

Anyway lets see what interest their is and then we can decide if we do it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 05:26:35 pm by close2u »

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 10:01:14 am »
That is curious, Jason. Beyond me to speculate as to how the level could be different on FB vs the output from the mixer.

If we did a Forum live event, given no collaboration I guess we could also use one of the online meeting apps.

It's odd David but I'll get to the bottom of it! at least it's relatively easy to test as you can set up a "live" stream privately for yourself, record it, then stop and play to make sure it sounds right. I think another challenge may have been mic distance. I was sitting down rather than standing up so distance to mic was more variable. Maybe when I was checking on the headphones via mixer I was closer to the mix. You don't have to be far out of it's pattern to see a reduction in volume. I'm sure it'll be fine next time!

mmm we could use an online meeting app BUT it's just so easy to use FB and organise it that way. It would be a closed group so people would have to join the group and the open mics would only be visible to those who are members. You can publish running lists via it. Much easier to comment as people are actually playing. Emojis etc. It's just far richer than the likes of Zoom from a performance perspective.

Lets see what people think. I just thought it would be a nice stepping stone in a relatively safe group of people to perform "live".

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 10:13:49 am »
Sure you will figure it out, Jason.

I'm not that familiar with FB but a closed group sounds good.

I agree with you and hopefully there'll be some interest. And if it took off maybe even Justin could be persuaded to drop in. See the results of all his teaching.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 10:37:18 am »
Hi Jason. That was a fascinating insight into the world of open mics. I really enjoyed your numbers.
There was so much to learn from watching all those other people too. Video framing, mic positioning, people with rambling introductions making you want to shout out ‘just get on with it’ 😃.

As I say, I found it fascinating as I’ve never even been to an open mic let alone performed at one.

Thanks for sharing Jason.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 10:47:16 am »
Hi Jason. That was a fascinating insight into the world of open mics. I really enjoyed your numbers.
There was so much to learn from watching all those other people too. Video framing, mic positioning, people with rambling introductions making you want to shout out ‘just get on with it’ 😃.

As I say, I found it fascinating as I’ve never even been to an open mic let alone performed at one.

No problem Sir..yes that group in particular are all quite regulars so a little intro chat seems to be the norm...generally at the real Open mics I've attended you are not allowed lots of chatting time...it's get on, do your three numbers and get off! The really interesting one is that the last person is allowed to perform as many songs as they want...whilst people are still watching.

Overall though it's not so different from doing a recording for AVOYP really....really life 1 Take Wednesday.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 11:09:26 am »
The OMs I went to there was always a little intro chat, often while the sound desk was getting themselves set. Obviously it is an OM and not a Toastmasters Meeting, but I do like a little intro, at least the name of the song and perhaps reason for picking it, personal connection to the song. And can be fun when there is a theme. I liked Jason's bookend intro based on the eras when the song was originally released.

From a time perspective, the one I go to works on slots, you have about 15 minutes, which is typically three songs, maybe 4 if they are short and you don't talk too much. And we have a hard end when everything is packed up.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 183
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 02:39:25 pm »
I wasn't able to give a listen as I have sworn off of Facebook for reasons that aren't up for discussion. Just clicking on a FB link re-opens my suspended account and starts the spiral of dissatisfaction all over again. I've been off of FB for a few months now and have never been happier. That said, I would gladly participate in some kind of virtual open mic presentation on a different platform.   

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 10:27:55 pm »

Really enjoyed your songs. Like Gordon I have zero experience of open mics so found it all a very interesting insight.

Rod.
BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster DR, Joyo JTA-05

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 11:15:38 pm »
This is great Jason, thanks for sharing the idea and making the suggestions.

Congratulations on your first Open Mic.  :)

You come across live really well. Nice chat from a nice chap. There's a vibrancy about you that's appealing and attention grabbing. Somehow there seems to be more of you in this performance. You carried the minor stumble off with style and humour and that warms me to you even more.

I enjoyed the Travis song very much, it suits you, your voice.

Vibes mate.  :-*
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 07:41:46 am »
@Maggie you're too kind! actually I stumbled but I'd already seen a couple of people do the same..it just happens live occasionally and you have to try and carry on! it was literally a couple of brain freeze moments where I lost track and the fingers wouldn't auto navigate. BTW the shaggy hair look is a symptom of lack of open hairdressers at the moment rather than a new style  :D

Thanks for those that have commented so far. It really was to get across what is happening - in UK - in the current situation and open up people minds to the idea of doing it themselves. Certainly local to me they didn't run these virtual type events pre-Covid and it's not such a big stretch to do this compared to stepping on to a stage to do a real one.

Hopefully the thread will keep bubbling along and if there is enough interest we can try and organise at least  a trial in a particular timezone. The nice thing is people can watch it back afterwards so even if they can't make the OM they can watch and comment afterwards.

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 07:53:54 pm »
Hey Jason this sounds like a great way to overcome current restrictions but even so I guess a little pressure to play 3 off the bat. I listened to the live performance (I'll catch the pre rec later) and thought they were all really good. You came across as slick and professional, and comfortable. I whizzed though and dropped onto to quite a few of the other acts before you and to be honest thought your quality, playing and vox shone through.

A forum open mic does sound like an interesting concept, why do I have this vague idea about something similar being floated years ago, before all the teleconferencing improvements we see today ? I know this would work via Zoom but the Facebook "show" seemed to work well. I'll go back over the post and see what been said about that, as I skipped a bit.

Timezone would be an issue but if its recordable, why limit it to one "show". You could have eurozone set up and a stateside one for example. Folk can still perform live in their "region" but others could then catch up with the recording. Even post restrictions, given our diverse geography it would be a great way to get to play together, well nearly anyway. My 2 cents.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 10:35:06 pm »
Thanks Toby.. yeah I liked the social and commenting aspects of FB .... you can literally see it as your playing. I appreciate some do not like FB though so an alternative could be used. As you say could have different events for different zones. I think a trial would definitely be worthwhile... interestingly the prerecorded one is going to stick to prerecording and they think it avoids issues on the night.. I have watched quite a few live ones and occasionally people do get sound issues but as long as someone is managing it I.e a asking the next act to step up if there are issues, it still works. Limiting it to two songs I think would also improve it for us ( at least to start with).

Not sure on next steps I’ll have a think about it.. a weekend might give some flexibility for more zones to take part..the one I did the other night has a couple of people in the US who regularly take the late slots

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 09:55:09 am »
Great job Rossco :) Thanks for sharing these Open Mic Sessions, a lot of cool stuff going on there - especially your performance :)

The idea of an Forum-Open-Mic sounds really exciting :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 01:12:51 pm »
Hi all.

I have kept a back seat on this one so far as you all (Rossco especially) have been running with it just fine.

One important point.
I raised this idea in the JustinGuitar team meet last night. Like me, he was excited and thrilled at the prospect of so many JG students even considering taking part in such an event.

There is an important caveat that we must ask you all to adhere to.

Justin asks that any such events do not carry his name unless (and this is a big unless) a member of the JG team or a volunteer who is selected by a JG team member - is there, present throughout, to moderate comments and ensure the ethos and spirit of the JustinGuitar brand is adhered to.

Now that I have got that bit of legalese out of the way, can I simply add my wholehearted support and encouragement for this venture!

Richard

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 01:36:13 pm »
I'm as keen as mustard to see a JG open mic happening. I tried to arouse interest interest with friends in developing a Jamulus environment some time back back that floundered. Not sure about using Zuckerberg's platform. Like CT I have reasons to abhor it even if for different reasons. As this is rightly a non political platform I'll keep them to myself.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:07:26 pm by willsie01 »

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 03:09:45 pm »
...unless (and this is a big unless) a member of the JG team or a volunteer who is selected by a JG team member - is there, present throughout, to moderate comments and ensure the ethos and spirit of the JustinGuitar brand is adhered to...

Richard

Richard, is there a member of the JG team or a volunteer willing to moderate?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 03:41:46 pm »
Richard, is there a member of the JG team or a volunteer willing to moderate?

Perhaps - but its not guaranteed. We're pretty busy at the moment and may have other commitments.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2021, 07:00:16 am »
Perhaps - but its not guaranteed. We're pretty busy at the moment and may have other commitments.

No pressure intended, Richard, but holding thumbs that your commitments are accommodating and that you participate as a performer with Mrs C or without. Would love you there as a fellow musician and Forum Friend first and mod second.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 12:57:55 pm »
First off Jason I wanted to say I enjoyed your performances, I always look forward to seeing you in the AVOYP section and was happy to see you sharing your virtual open mic performances. For the acoustic set as you know the guitar level could have come down, but that's something you can tweak for the next one. I checked out Mrs Robinson first since it's a favorite song of mine. And you did wonderfully well continuing on through the couple of fluffs! It's actually a really good lesson - keep going, don't worry about it too much, laugh it off at the end. The next song sounded a bit familiar, although I don't know that I've ever heard it before. I didn't catch the name so I googled it and found it, what a great song, great open mic cover from you. I just got the single from iTunes so I can learn it :) I watched your clip in the other open mic, and I'm thinking I've heard you play those ones before, I enjoyed your performance anyway whether or not, you have your own style - and maybe that's why the songs sound familiar! I also may now be gasing for a Trio, or something similar, it's awesome to be able to add that to your performance.

Great idea on a virtual open mic for forum members as well, be awesome to see that.

Mari

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Get The Forum As A Mobile App