Author Topic: Beginner Home Recording Setup  (Read 2182 times)

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Beginner Home Recording Setup
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2021, 02:15:57 pm »
Aiden,

For a webcam you'd do well with a Logitech C920 or similar. Don't know what options you have locally that might be better value for money.

And you could probably get started using the laptop built-in camera assuming it has one.

Maybe Keith will chip in with some additional suggestions.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2021, 03:51:04 pm »
Aiden,

Maybe Keith will chip in with some additional suggestions.

Not really. I think you've covered it. The C9xx range is my go-to webcam of choice. Laptop webcams are usually OK but I will add that the flexibility of being able to place/point the camera where you want it independently of the screen position makes a separate webcam a useful thing to have.

If you use OBS or similar, you can even run multiple webcams at the same time, combining the laptop webcam and a separate one into an OBS scene.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Aidan32

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2021, 04:49:49 pm »
David/Keith,

Thanks a lot for all your help and suggestions!

Offline Aidan32

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2021, 05:24:10 pm »
Iwas able to get my audio interface , mic and OBS set up and running. I done some practice recordings and they were fine at first  -i think i got beginners luck with mic placement -  but then the video stopped recording and then the recordings would just stop and not record fully. But i think it's because my laptop is at max memory right now and i think it's goose is cooked.

But i've ordered the Lenovo Ideapad 5 (new Version) so it's hopefully coming tomorrow.

Now the fun begins! ;D

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »
Sounds good, Aiden, well done.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2021, 02:50:53 am »
Okay so time to hijack this thread :D

I'm completely blind as far as it goes for mics and AIs so this is what I would like to achieve and please tell me which options I should go for:

1) I want to record vox via microphone to AI
2) I would like to plug my electro acoustic directly into AI and record both vox and guitar
3) I would prefer not to have 2 separate mics for now for acoustic and vox since I have very limited space in my flat
4) I would like to plug my electric guitar via Boss Katana 50 into AI and record both guitar and vox.

Just to make sure - I am only going to get a single output into DAW, not vox separate to guitar?

One more trouble I have - I only got 1 usb port in my Surface! Don't have a pc or a bigger laptop of my own since I gave mine away to my dad and never needed to replace it.

Edit. One more thought - perhaps as a temp measure until I get more space it's worth getting only usb mic? I usually sing along while playing acoustic not electric and I have capability to record electric on its own directly to DAW. Thoughts pls :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2021, 04:59:18 am »
I would get an interface (at least 2 inputs) and a large diaphragm condenser mic (XLR). With that you can:
  • Acoustic + vocal: vocals into the mic, acoustic direct into the interface.
  • Acoustic + vocal: both vocal and guitar into the mic
  • Acoustic only: mic into interface
  • Acoustic only: direct into interface
  • Acoustic only: mic + direct (and mix the two)
  • Electric: line out from your Katana into the interface. (This assumes your Katana has a line out -- mine does, but I'm not sure that all of the models do. If not you could mic the amp, but you might want a dynamic mic for that. In my case, I prefer to mic up the amp even though I have a line out. It sounds better, to me.)
  • Et cetera

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2021, 09:13:30 am »
Edit. One more thought - perhaps as a temp measure until I get more space it's worth getting only usb mic? I usually sing along while playing acoustic not electric and I have capability to record electric on its own directly to DAW. Thoughts pls :)

I wouldn't bother with a USB mic unless it's something like the ATR2100x-USB which is also an XLR mic. (By the way, this particular one is a dynamic mic which would be OK for recording either vocals or guitar, but probably not both at the same time). USB mics are OK for podcasting where you are recording one thing at a time, but they are pretty restrictive and limiting.

The main issue is, in general, you cannot record a USB mic and another audio device (like the Katana USB, for instance) at the same time. These appear to the PC as separate audio interfaces and you can, normally, only use one AI at a time, at least with "pro audio" applications which use low-latency drivers, like ASIO.

(By the way, I'm not an expert on Windows or ASIO, so feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong, but that has been my experience with ASIO and audio drivers in general).

Which is why J.W.C. has recommended a 2 input AI. I support that. AIs are not particularly large and a 2 input AI like the Behringer UMC202HD will not take up much space at all, and will allow you to connect the line output from the Katana 50 (which does have a line output) and a mic for recording at the same time.

To answer another question, in a DAW application like Reaper, Ardour, or even Audacity (which isn't really a DAW) each input will appear as a separate track so that you can individually edit them and alter the relative levels.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:25:46 am by Majik »

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2021, 09:46:47 am »
Thank you guys this actually answers all of my questions :) I will now review the whole thread again and pick AI and mic that I think will work for me :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2021, 01:11:37 pm »
Aiden,

The only thing I would say is that point 4 - electric guitar via Katana + Vox wont work - generally - with just an AI. I don't think there is an audio out on the Katana (other than the headphones) so you'd probably end up using the built in AI BUT windows doesn't generally play well with multiple interfaces e.g. Katana AI and then a separate AI for vox, so that might not work. Alternatively you have to MIC the amp up or record the guitar and vox tracks separately.

There isn't really an ideal solution to this which is why I am using my Katana less and less and simply using my Pod Go straight into my mixer alongside my Mic and Trio+....and using the AI built into the mixer to feed back to the PC.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2021, 02:32:19 pm »
There's a Line Out on the Katana 50 which should be usable for recording by connecting this into the input of an AI.

Yes, it's also the headphone socket, but it's specifically labelled "Phones/Rec Out" so it's designed for this purpose.

Obviously you can't then hear the Katana directly, but you should be able to monitor both the Katana and other inputs via a headphone socket on the AI.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2021, 04:46:22 pm »
There's a Line Out on the Katana 50 which should be usable for recording by connecting this into the input of an AI.

Yes, it's also the headphone socket, but it's specifically labelled "Phones/Rec Out" so it's designed for this purpose.

Obviously you can't then hear the Katana directly, but you should be able to monitor both the Katana and other inputs via a headphone socket on the AI.

Cheers,

Keith

Agreed Keith.. I have to admit I hadn't checked but have just pulled my MK1 K100 out and its 1/4 output on the back so should be fine into an AI. I think you can also adjust CAB emulation in the Boss edit suite as well.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2021, 08:53:41 pm »
Agreed Keith.. I have to admit I hadn't checked but have just pulled my MK1 K100 out and its 1/4 output on the back so should be fine into an AI. I think you can also adjust CAB emulation in the Boss edit suite as well.

I just tried it into my UMC202HD and it works fine. I had to boost the level a bit in the global EQ section using BTS.

Cheers,

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App