Author Topic: sairfingers’ Road Case  (Read 1407 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
sairfingers’ Road Case
« on: February 11, 2021, 12:12:49 pm »
11th Feb 2018. I started my guitar ‘journey’ 3 years ago today. How can I be so exact I hear you ask! (you probably aren’t but I’ll tell you anyway).

My wife and I were visiting our son and his family who live a couple hours away. He has been into guitar for quite a few years starting while at university studying medicine. He is self taught using internet tuition (not Justin I’m afraid) and over the years has become pretty good. So much so that at his wedding in 2013 he got up on stage with the band and played the lead parts of ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ on a Gibson Flying V that he had at the time. We all thought it was terrific but he is critical when he looks back at videos of himself playing. Sounds familiar! It was the first time he’d ever played with anyone else. He’s still doesn’t play in a band as work and family commitments keep him too busy but he’s perfectly happy being a home hobby player.

Anyway, at some point during our visit he was showing me some licks and things on his new guitar, a beautiful Martin Eric Clapton 000-28. “Why don’t you take my old acoustic home and see how you get on, you’ve always wanted to learn”. And so I did. 

The first thing I did when I got back home was print out a chord diagram sheet from the internet. I still use it, now covered in notes and additional hand drawn chords. At the bottom of the print out is the date. 11th Feb 2018.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:14:24 pm by sairfingers »
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
My road case :- https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
Re: sairfinger’s Road Case
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 12:23:58 pm »
A great story on how you started 3 years ago.

An enjoyable read :-)

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 12:44:47 pm »
Happy anniversary sair, I wish you another 30 years of guitar experience on top of time you have already spent learning :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline TCB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 01:06:47 pm »
Happy 3rd anniversary Gordon! Sharing your progress in videos and feedback to others on the forum has been an inspiration to many of us beginners. Congratulations and best wishes for many more years!

Tom

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 01:36:11 pm »
Keep that chord diagram sheet with your notes, Gordon-
It'll be worth a small fortune when you hit the big time!  8)
(alternatively, you can also just keep it as a reference...)

Happy third. (minor I guess?)
I do believe I'm hot on your heels but will have to check social media.
Are we not due another ditty soon?

Offline SS7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 01:38:16 pm »
Happy anniversary SF! Your son must be real proud of how far you've come, I know I would be. Do you ever get to play together? (Before the whole pandemic thing I guess)

Sent from my SM-N985F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 01:39:52 pm »
Congrats on you 3 year anniversary, Gordon.

I think you can pour yourself a dram ... not a wee dram ... to celebrate all you have achieved. The proof of the pudding is in the music we learn to make, as per our own passions and aspirations. And I think you have become a fine performer of songs, singing and playing with a relaxed vibe, and not just super simple songs either. I'll happily enjoy a dram watching you perform your repertoire.

I was wondering about the specific date. What a lovely story and sure does sound as if your son is quite accomplished. We can dream  ;D

Look forward to the next episode of this RC. I do hope you'll share more of the highlights, ups and downs, and lessons learned along the way.

And of course, as always, am looking forward to your next performance.

Here's to the next three years. I guess when you look back the progress made is remarkable, imagine now another three years from now ...

Rock on !!

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 03:50:59 pm »
3 years  8) You've come a long way in just three years. Your playing is well
beyond that. Well done. Music is the best gift you can give yourself.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 06:09:46 pm »
Your progress in the 3 years you’ve been on here is a testimony to your effort put into your playing plus the content of the course. It’s notably helping some of the more mature of us to learn to play quite well within sensible timescales, this just has to be how well structured it is.
It’s interesting to learn about your motivation to learn to play, it’s a very good reason, you don’t get given a guitar and told to go learn to play it very often!
Good luck with your journey down the learning process, keep your impetus up!

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
Re: sairfingers’ Road Case
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 09:36:29 pm »
Hi Guys. Thanks, I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. Life’s too short, you must have better things to do.

I’m not a diary or blog or vblog or whatever the current term is person, (hell, I hate sounding as if I use chalk and slate, my 5 year old granddaughter asked me today if I’d still be here at Easter for the Easter egg hunt. I’m only 67!!). When I realised my 3 year guitar anniversary was imminent I thought I’d give it a go.

I enjoy reading all the various posts on the forum and often can’t believe how supportive this community is. Ask a question and you get helpful answers. Not, FFS, how can you not know this. I really do think this forum is quite unique. Reading other peoples’ questions about things you haven’t even thought about results in answers and discussions that are so interesting. It’s also reassuring when you read that others have the same problems/issues.
Looking at AVoYP makes me feel either I remember being there, or, more often, hell, I can’t even think about getting there.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:16:38 pm by sairfingers »

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 09:44:04 pm »
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the back story, these are always interesting to read.

Congrats on your 3 year anniversary, you certainly seem to have come a long way.

Rod.
BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster DR, Joyo JTA-05

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 10:03:58 pm »
What a great story Gordon, thanks for sharing your beginnings.  Makes me smile to think of your son giving his Dad a guitar to start him off.

Clearly music runs in the veins of your family and should there also be longevity, I hope there's a day that you not only go on the Easter egg hunt together, but that you, your son and perhaps your granddaughter make music together.

You bring good music, a warm smile and a witty turn of phrase  to our community.

May there be so much more for you Gordon.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 10:22:58 pm »
Ok, let’s travel back in time to the 16 year old ‘sairfingers’. In about 1970 I had a friend who played a bit of guitar. I was seriously impressed by the attention he was getting from girls. I’d like a bit more of that action I thought.
A group of us were down on the beach on a warm sunny evening, yes we do get them in Scotland, and he was strumming some chords. The girls seemed to think he was a god. I thought “I could learn to do that”.
Let’s forget that later in the evening we were all ‘booked’ by the police for skinny dipping and under age drinking! This resulted in us all being grounded for quite a while and thoughts of girls and guitars were put on hold.

We had an acoustic guitar in the attic that my mother had bought when she was a student and had given up playing. I remember it was a Framus with ‘f’ holes and I’ve searched on the internet recently and found it was a Framus 5/50 archtop.
I struggled for a few months trying to play it and almost managed C, mini F and G7 I think, but had horribly painful fingers. With hindsight it must have had a terrible action and maybe really heavy strings but of course there was no internet advice in those days.

My guitar playing friend also gave up around the same time so that was the end of that. I don’t know what happened to that guitar, I wish I still had it. My parents must have sold it or given it away after I lost interest.

I’m not sure if it was the lack of guitar skills or the memory of the cold water, but we decided there must be a better way to impress the girls!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:16:11 pm by sairfingers »

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 11:11:24 pm »
Great stories, love to visit these "Road Case" threads :)

Happy anniversary!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 03:17:13 am »
Gordon, you may not consider yourself one for the blogging or with pen and paper, the journalling, but rest assured yiu have a fine turn of phrase and tell a fine story.

Warm sunny evening in Scotland ... does take me a bit by surprise.

The fellow who showed me my first chords, aged 19, wove the same spells with the guitar. Plus he had a motorbike. Double cool. At least I can play a little guitar now, enough to impress those who cannot play at all, even enough to impress myself when I think of the struggles to play anything at all to a reasonablly musical level a few years ago.

I see you were ambitious with that first guitar... not the simple Em, E, and Am chords to get going.

So is there a story behind your handle "sairfingers"? Maybe you've shared before and I forget?

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 03:55:45 pm »
So is there a story behind your handle "sairfingers"? Maybe you've shared before and I forget?

Yeah, I've been wondering myself :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 06:01:03 pm »
Great story Gordon and Happy 3rd Anniversary. Think we should all send a big thank you to your son for lighting the flames again. You've made good progress and I am sure there is more to come.

Take care of yourself and have a celebratory Haggis, it is New Year after all (ok its the Chinese one but they all count don't they).

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 02:21:55 am »
Oh! Happy belated 3 year guitar anniversary!!!! ✨🎶🎂🍻🎶✨

It's been awhile since I looked in other people's journals. Glad I did! 💖 I have a lot to catch up on!

Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 04:08:38 pm »
The fellow who showed me my first chords, aged 19, wove the same spells with the guitar. Plus he had a motorbike. Double cool.
Funny you should say that David. I wasn’t going there as it’s not guitar related but since you’ve brought the subject up, I will.

Around the time I lost interest in learning guitar, I got my provisional motorbike licence. In those days that allowed you to drive a bike of up to 250cc. So I became the owner of a 1963 Royal Enfield Crusader Sports. I still remember its registration number, 610 TRA. As an ‘L’ driver I couldn’t carry a passenger but I quickly realised the potential!

Although a great looking bike, mine suffered from an ignition problem which I never managed to track down and repair due to lack of funds. The final nail in the coffin was when it conked out during my bike test resulting in a ‘fail due to failure to complete the test’.
I hadn’t told anyone I was sitting the test so despite a bruised ego my street cred remained intact.

A BSA C15 followed which although less visually attractive was much more reliable. I passed my test next time and the ‘L’ plates were ceremonially consigned to the bin.

An old Triumph Bonneville T120 650cc was next but of course as a young man with limited funds I spent more time repairing it than l would have liked. However, to call it a ‘girl magnet’ would have been an understatement!
That was until the time it broke down on a wet night and I had to rather shamefacedly take my new girlfriend home on the bus. Street cred hit a new low that night!

The early 70’s saw the rise of the Japanese ‘superbike’. Up to date technology including an electric start, modern designs and colours. They maybe lacked the throaty roar of the British bike exhaust, but they were reliable. I know my dad was fed up with the oil drip stains on the garage floor.
Enter my Honda CB500 4 cylinder. I managed to convince a bank manager that I was a reasonable risk and I bought the almost new Honda. Fast, clean and most of all reliable, I kept this bike for several years.

My love of motorbikes came to an abrupt end the day I got a rear wheel puncture at 70mph. It happened on a busy dual carriageway and the rear of the bike came round level with the handlebars first on one side then on the other and back and forth until I manage to come to a halt on the grass verge. I thought my number was up that day. Several passing motorists who witnessed the incident stopped and said I was lucky to be alive. One of them gave me a lift home and a friend with a pick up truck later retrieved the bike. I sold it soon after and have never been on a motorcycle since.

I still sometimes have shivers thinking about that incident and indeed what could have happened as I drove around with other peoples’ daughters on the back seat. They are such potentially dangerous things. I know there are a few bikers on the Forum, Toby for one, and I know they only go as fast as you twist the throttle, but it’s also the fact that you become almost invisible to other motorists when you’re out on the road.

Later in life I refused to allow my son to have one and warned my daughter within an inch of her life never to get on the back seat of one.

Well, there wasn’t a mention of guitars there at all. You can blame David for raising the subject.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 11:05:48 pm by sairfingers »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 04:16:43 pm »
Yeah, I've been wondering myself :)
I know the answer but not going to elaborate any further than Walter Wingate might know 😜

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 04:43:46 pm »
Thanks for another glimpse at your life and times, Gordon. Appreciate and enjoy getting to know my friends better. Happy to take the blame.

My Dad had also had such a frightening experience on a bike. So when I turned 16 and made my case to get a bike licence to ease their fetching and carrying the answer was NO.

Been on the back once or twice but never ever learned.

In my mind, I see myself on a Harley with guitar strapped to my back.

Sairfingers ... very clever ... thanks Darrell

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 10:53:06 pm »
Now that's what I call a road case !! Some great heritage there and I would guess in those early pre 72 days you may have gone lidless ? I'll have to document mine one day but being just a little bit younger UK Gvt stitched me up good and proper at the start of 1972 and made lids compulsory. I had a Beeza 250 Barracuda lined up for my 16th and the bstds changed the licence rule at the start of the year. 49cc Moped at 16 and a max of 125cc at 17 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way was I going to jump on a damn moped, been running them off road and into ditches since I was about 14, so I waited the year and bought a Jawa/CZ125S off one of my brothers mate's and the rest is history.

Brother's Golden Flash seized at 80 mph circa '72 down the Watford ByPass (A41) not far from the old BusyBee cafe (which by then was the Red Lion but still a big biker hangout) and I am sure the skid marks in his grundies, were worse than the rubber he left on the tarmac. These things are meant to try us but you just gotta get back on the horse. He had various bikes after that and still rides at 67. Oddly enough he mentioned the Goldie the other day, as he kept all the parts and is thinking about rebuilding it after 49 years!

Riding in the UK is pants but I survived a few scrapes over 38 years by thinking everyone was out to kill me. Bikers Paranoia 101 but I am still here and treat everyone over here the same.   8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 11:54:23 pm »

Riding in the UK is pants but I survived a few scrapes over 38 years by thinking everyone was out to kill me. Bikers Paranoia 101 but I am still here and treat everyone over here the same.   8)

It’s the same in Oz. I use the same method to survive on my bicycle these days. Although I’ve done my share of time motorbikes as well, last one was a ‘97 Harley.

BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster DR, Joyo JTA-05

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 04:19:57 pm »
Hey Sairfingers. Great read. Nice to get to know you. I’m sure it’s nice to be able to play along with your son when you can.   
My son started, but he didn’t like his electric he bought and sold it. He intends to start back up some day. I hope he will.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 03:17:31 pm »
I know the answer but not going to elaborate any further than Walter Wingate might know 😜
Well Darrell, you’re on the right lines.

Back in the Summer of 1990 (not ‘69) I was on a campsite in France with my wife and 2 kids. We were touring around with our caravan and ended up near Sarlat in the Dordogne region.
Anyone who has been camping/caravanning in France will know that the campsites are full of Dutch people and I met up with a bunch of Dutch guys. They all spoke great English so communication wasn’t a problem. They had brought their guitars on holiday with them so there were regular singalongs in the bar and swimming pool area etc. So my interest in guitar was reignited some 20 years after my initial short lived introduction as a teenager.

One of the guitar players was suffering from painful fingertips as he was not a regular player. Much to my amusement he described this in Dutch as ‘zere vinger’, but it was pronounced as ‘sair finger’ (finger pronounced as in singer).
Had our national bard Robert Burns ever written a poem about a sore finger in addition to those for which he is famous like ‘Tae a moose’ (that’s mouse, not the large North American animal) he would undoubtedly have used old Scots and written and spoken it as ‘sair finger’.

Unfortunately when I returned home the guitar spark, like many post holiday plans, was extinguished by work and family commitments.

I never forgot the Dutch guy and his sore fingers and on the 21st March 2018 (I checked my profile) when I joined Justin guitar and needed a nickname and certainly had sore fingers from playing for the previous few weeks, ‘sairfingers’ was born.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 04:46:37 pm by sairfingers »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App