Author Topic: You can get a decent Tube amp for a sensible price!  (Read 1125 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
You can get a decent Tube amp for a sensible price!
« on: February 07, 2021, 07:09:18 pm »
It’s very simple, Volume and Tone plus 5W / 1W setting but it’s got a Celestion 8” specially voiced speaker.
No frills, classic AX7 / EL84 valve combination but it’s a lot more flexible than you would expect it to be.
I’m seriously considering getting one myself (despite me saying that I wasn’t going to have another valve amp), I guess it would be perfectly ok for home practice and although it doesn’t have an fx loop it looks like it takes pedals well.
Anyway judge it yourself!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: You can get a decent Tube amp for a sensible price!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 07:22:13 pm »
Just checked on Thomass but still 240 euro or so?
If it was really 140 euro i would order right away ;-)
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 07:52:31 pm »
Just checked on Thomass but still 240 euro or so?
If it was really 140 euro i would order right away ;-)
This doesn’t say it’s €240!
https://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_tube5_celestion.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoibmwiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6Im5sIn0%3D
The Tube15 is €235 the one I posted is the 5W version!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 08:15:09 pm »
I found the YouTube film and thought the description said 15

Nevermind. Almost the same video but different. Tired. But can’t find it on Thomas :-( thanks for the link! I’m going to buy
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 06:08:33 am »
Nevermind. Almost the same video but different. Tired. But can’t find it on Thomas :-( thanks for the link! I’m going to buy
Make sure that you do find the 5W/ 1W version, the 15W / 1W with 12” speaker would be too loud even at the 1W setting; the reason is simple - the 12” speaker will move much more air at the same output level. More air movement = more volume. The 8” speaker is voiced to sound good at lower volume levels, that’s the reason why I posted this topic; it’s aimed at those people who really want a valve amp that will sound good at bedroom levels; that said you will definitely not be playing it on max volume unless you want angry neighbours!
Here is the correct link again:
https://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_tube5_celestion.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoibmwiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6Im5sIn0%3D

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 07:42:49 am »
Its super tempting for that price. I will have this one in the home office and the Yamaha (*THR10ii) downstairs. Then again, perhaps the sound of the Yamaha is way better + the yamaha is not so heavy to carry around :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:23:52 am by JustMe123456 »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 09:13:12 am »
Then again, perhaps the sound of the Yamaha is way better + the yamaha is not so heavy to carry around :)
The Yamaha is much more versatile and has most of the sounds you want built in; the HB is a simple tube amp that needs pedals (in the correct order) to create the more elaborate sounds. As an absolute minimum I would add an Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz, Delay and Reverb pedal to the basic amp for what I would want (which I already have plus a few others). These together would actually cost more than the Amp so need to be considered when you contemplate buying one.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:17:43 am »
Love that advice!
So with 100 euro per pedal on average, we are taking about something around the 300-500 euro that I would need to buy on pedals (I have zero). So, that would bring it to around 500-700 euro. I better save my money then I buy my Fender Blues Junior or simply my Telecaster :-)

Love how there is so much value in the information on this forum. I am learning every day!

I think for most of us this is the best set up?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 09:26:07 am »
Love that advice!
So with 100 euro per pedal on average, we are taking about something around the 300-500 euro that I would need to buy on pedals (I have zero). So, that would bring it to around 500-700 euro. I better save my money then I buy my Fender Blues Junior or simply my Telecaster :-)
Love how there is so much value in the information on this forum. I am learning every day!
My pedals I use most are made by Donner, they are mini pedals similar to the Joyo pedals that you can get from Thomann, they cost me around £30 (€35) each, they are perfectly adequate for most people!

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 09:27:43 am »
Justme, You can get decent pedals for around 30-50 euros, so it doesn't need to cost a fortune.
Equally, you could just buy a multifx unit for around 150 euros.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 10:17:49 am »
Bear in mind that with separate pedals, you need to consider power, interconnect cables and, perhaps, a pedalboard as well in your costings.

These need not be expensive (depending on the pedals you get) but they will cost something and it all adds up.

I would also take what you see in That Pedal Show with a huge pinch of salt: they offer some great information and insights into how pedals work, how to use them creatively, and how to combine them into effective pedal boards dealing with issues like noise and power, etc. but a lot of it is based around the high-end "cork-sniffery", purist approach.

They will, generally, turn their noses up at anything digital, and they would probably turn their noses up at the Harley Benton tube amp in this thread. The Audio Kitchen amplifier in that video costs £750 and it doesn't come with a cabinet or speaker.

They have big budgets and decades of experience and access to some of the best amplifiers, speaker cabinets load boxes, etc. on the market, many of which cost thousands. They also tend to play at volumes that no normal home player could get away with.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 10:31:32 am »
Hi Keith,

Then again Dan uses the Yamaha Thr10ii for a home use amp (see video above).
I would also like to create the same home "studio" dynamic with the second gear he uses. So a good clean amp, mostly build for really practicing my skills + some extra pedals if I need them at the time. I also don't want to get a ring in my ear so I would never play at those volumes as they often do in The Pedal show.

Which brings me to another cool video of them (I do think this is the older Yamaha THR10).
The video shows what I have been thinking before buying the Yamaha; I can play at lower volumes with my Fender than I could with my acoustic. I actually am not completely overwhelmed with strumming anymore because I can simply put the volume lower :) So if the amp that Darrell posts can also play at such low volumes I think for most people this is def. a consideration (especially since it's 200 euro less money)

My thinking so far is along the lines of: If I don't really miss anything ("damn, I need more of a touch of fuzz because I want to create *this* sound") I am not buying anything new (except for a Telecaster  :D).

But if I had to go back pre-Yamaha THR10ii .. something like Darrell is posting here would def. be a consideration !

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 10:33:33 am »
Couldn’t have put it better myself Keith, ‘That pedal show is more for ‘cork sniffers’ not the financially challenged!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 10:35:18 am »
Couldn’t have put it better myself Keith, ‘That pedal show is more for ‘cork sniffers’ not the financially challenged!
It's also often just not necessary either. I am not financially challenged at all, however, I would never consider a multi FX station for 1500 euro now. I would have no idea what to do with it + wife would kill me.

Offline dan71

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 11:41:03 am »
Make sure that you do find the 5W/ 1W version, the 15W / 1W with 12” speaker would be too loud even at the 1W setting; the reason is simple - the 12” speaker will move much more air at the same output level. More air movement = more volume. The 8” speaker is voiced to sound good at lower volume levels, that’s the reason why I posted this topic; it’s aimed at those people who really want a valve amp that will sound good at bedroom levels; that said you will definitely not be playing it on max volume unless you want angry neighbours!

Thanks for the pointer - I fit into the "looking for a reasonably priced amp for bedroom in a terraced house sound levels" category of people, and am also intrigued by something a bit different.

The thing about the bigger speakers being louder because of their size doesn't feel like it should be right though.
<fx of trying to remember school physics lessons>
All things being equal, making more air move ought to take more energy as it has more mass. So 1W ought to make a big speaker move less distance than a small speaker - but put a similar amount of total energy into moving the air as it pushes a bigger area. After all, 1W is the measure of energy in the example and is fixed. A bigger cone and magnet may take some of that energy, of course.
I suspect with real world amps the frequency sensitivity of a different speaker and acoustics of a different sized cabinet would come into play as well.
Maybe the difference heard is more about frequency response and sensitivity of different drivers? Maybe I'm missing something?

In my case it's kind of moot, unless I can pass a big cabinet off as a new armchair or something.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 01:25:14 pm »
I am not financially challenged at all,
If that’s the case take a look at a Blackstar HT1R if you really want a valve amp! This amp is really for people who don’t want to spend a lot on a valve amp, it’s at a price you very rarely get anything as good.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 01:40:55 pm »
If that’s the case take a look at a Blackstar HT1R if you really want a valve amp! This amp is really for people who don’t want to spend a lot on a valve amp, it’s at a price you very rarely get anything as good.

I said not challenged :) But 282 euro seems like a bargin (all relative of course, there where times in my life it would heave meant a very big deal!!).

Most importantly to me: Can I play it on low volume and still not get over +/- 80db? with a good sound?

I like to compare it to Sonos. I have a Sonos Beam in a 2.1 setup... we never put it full open because it's plenty loud on lower levels with a beautiful sound.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 02:33:20 pm »
I like to compare it to Sonos. I have a Sonos Beam in a 2.1 setup... we never put it full open because it's plenty loud on lower levels with a beautiful sound.

I think the difference is the nature of tube amps is often that you often don't get that "tube sound" until you push them into overdrive, and that means cranking them.

That's different from a hifi/home cinema speaker like the Sonos stuff which is designed to be pretty transparent regardless of whether you play it at low or high volumes.

(I have a stereo-pair of Sonos Fives in my conservatory which I have run at max volume whilst beta testing, and those things get pretty loud).

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:42:41 pm by Majik »

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 03:49:30 pm »
Yep pretty loud those Sonos thingys!! and beautiful!, and for now my conclusion is that for our current living conditions (with 2 little ones and a very well isolated home) I am better off with a more "sonos-like" approach. It works really well in our living room. Me playing electric guitar on the THR10ii with a HDMI cable plugged from laptop to TV to watch the tutorial and my wife doing her hobby. When it's "scale stuff" I higher the volume a bit, if I go strumming, I lower it. I can't imagine having to crank up an amp in the living room and my home office.

Also, am I the only one who really wants to be careful with his ears?

I do get why a certain sound is what you are after. I can imagine how nice a Fender Telecaster must sound on some vintage tube amp. But for me it does not fit in my current way of living.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 04:27:39 pm »
I would save up a few more shekels and get the 15W. It's a great amp, I have the Monoprice Stage Right branded version. You'll get an FX loop plus you get on board spring reverb as well as tone, bass, mid, gain, etc, controls. You get to learn how to dial in an amp, and as Darrell said you can really move some air if you want to (this is not a bad thing). A number of players, far better than I and who have owned both call the 15W a Blues JR killer. Pedals are optional but highly recommended.

I started two topics here on the Monoprice 15W amp:
My first impressions: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=43385.0
Thoughts on mods: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=45019.0

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 05:05:45 pm »
Are you walls at home still in good condition with the 15w, Clint? 😀

Offline i.crowther41

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 10:43:32 am »
I have the yamaha thr10c the black one, I was just looking to see which model you referred to? Do they no longer sell the black or green models, I couldn't seem to see them anywhere apart from used ones.
I was a bit disappointed with mine to start with but I haven't actually connected to the PC or anything so is there a lot more to be found than I have used so far.
Thanks Ian

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 04:21:45 pm »
Are you walls at home still in good condition with the 15w, Clint? 😀
Yes, it can rattle the windows with little effort, and opens up nicely on the pan-damn-demic patio. The 1W setting can be pretty chill when needed. I highly recommend that players cover their bases by getting at least one tube amp. There are some pretty good 5W heads out there too.   

Offline skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 08:17:36 pm »

".....Cork Sniffers"   :D ;D  Where's the super laughing imogi when need one!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App