Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2021  (Read 19012 times)

Offline Schmidtrock

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Learning Never Stops! Train Your Brain!
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2021
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2021, 12:26:43 pm »
Thank you all! The best part of my guitar journey is proving to be the incredible community here. I appreciate everyone here!
Fender Telecaster Jimmy Page 'Dragon', Ibanez GRGR120EX, Taylor Mahogany GS Mini

'Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today' ~ James Dean

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2021, 04:29:48 am »
Working on Is There Anybody Out There? (and just posted the current state of it, which I think is *almost* there, to the Guitar Challenges thread).

Also started learning Natalie Merchant's Motherland after hearing ynot's rendition in AVOYP and falling in love with the song.

Offline ynot

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2021, 08:13:28 am »
Also started learning Natalie Merchant's Motherland...

Look forward to hearing that

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2021, 08:55:18 am »
Working on Is There Anybody Out There? (and just posted the current state of it, which I think is *almost* there, to the Guitar Challenges thread).

Also started learning Natalie Merchant's Motherland after hearing ynot's rendition in AVOYP and falling in love with the song.
You're on a roll Rick 
.. and when you finish with that one, this might float a father/daughter string combo too  ;)

Offline pinkyisbroken

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2021, 01:18:26 pm »

I love natalie merchant and the 10.000 maniacs. Shame she left but she had to do it to gain control of her music and the creative process with no outside interference. The band is still going but its not the same with mary singing. She cant even hit the notes that natalie seemed to belt out with ease. Ive seen her choke more than a few times now.

The maniacs along with REM are in my top favorites. I want to learn Whats The Matter Here or Cherry Tree but Bucks' strumming is a bit over my head at the moment.

I first got into the maniacs when i was living in california in the middle 80's. What i was surprised to find out when i moved to the UK 30 years later is that they had a decent following here and even toured the UK. I did not know that until a few weeks ago.

Offline ynot

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2021, 07:58:51 pm »
The maniacs along with REM are in my top favorites. I want to learn Whats The Matter Here or Cherry Tree but Bucks' strumming is a bit over my head at the moment.

If you have some favourite youtube links of these, I'd love to get the links.

After learning Motherland, I've spent a bit of time listening to other songs by Natalie Merchant and haven't found any that grabbed me.  Good music, not trying to knock her, just nothing anything like the instant love I had for Motherland.

Offline pinkyisbroken

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2021, 01:45:25 am »
If you have some favourite youtube links of these, I'd love to get the links.

After learning Motherland, I've spent a bit of time listening to other songs by Natalie Merchant and haven't found any that grabbed me.  Good music, not trying to knock her, just nothing anything like the instant love I had for Motherland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7rikO0nsHA     this is cherry tree with lyrics displayed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_HuhUSNjG0   this is whats the matter here with lyrics as well but the live mtv unplugged version is far better i think

As is the case with nearly all merchant songs if you do not pay attention to the lyrics you may end up surprised to find out what the song is about once you read them. She has a lot of protest songs that are seriously disguised by the music, her singing and her choice or selective pauses breaking up sentences.

Cherry Tree is one of my absolute favorites and has been for more than 30 years now.

The interesting thing about her songs is that hardly anybody ever covers these. Maybe due to their difficulty. She has a fairly high register and peculiar style of singing. She is very recognizable.

Please let us know if you do another merchant cover. I would love to hear it. I enjoyed the motherland cover.  Your voice reminded me of a more husky bob dylan/petty meets cohen mix.

Offline Fred Garvin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2021, 02:01:54 am »
Working on Is There Anybody Out There? (and just posted the current state of it, which I think is *almost* there, to the Guitar Challenges thread)...

Awesome! I'm new in my "guitar" journey, so I'm working on my first songs. On the acoustic, I'm learning "Pigs on the Wing" and on the electric I'm learning "Rumble"...

Waaaay back in the 90's I was a bass player. I got a fretless because the guitarist wanted us to play "Hey You"... and we did!
JG BC: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Gibson L&M: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10...
Yamaha FG800; Epi PR150; Martin Backpacker
Epi Les Paul Cherry Burst; Epi ES-335 Cherry
Vox AC10C1; Vox Pathfinder; PG Spark 40

Get The Forum As A Mobile App