Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2021  (Read 7525 times)

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2021
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2021, 09:40:33 am »
How are you finding Mad world, Stuart?

This is the scientist. A superb song and a great video as well. It was one of my Sing Star go to songs.  ;D

Enjoy.
Mad World is great. I use it for practice by playing at different speeds, different strumming patterns and varying loudness. Probably doesn't sound much like the original but not too bothered about that.

Thanks for the link for The scientist.

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline sclay

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2021, 09:57:18 am »
Been working on Hurt So Good, John Mellencamp for a few weeks now Crackin song to play. Also the classic Wild World by Cat Stevens, with the speedy little riffd which Im tryin to get down.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline SgtColon

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2021, 12:34:11 pm »
How many songs do people tend to work on at any one time?
Yamaha FG-411s acoustic.
G&L Tribute ASAT electric.
Boss Katana MkII 50 amp.

Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 196
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2021, 07:21:13 am »

ranges from 1 to 4, where number 3 and 4 usually don't get much progression but I just play them to familiarize myself some more :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:11:45 pm by LievenDV »
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty
 | My solo act:  website: Devil's Advocate

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2021, 04:39:28 pm »
ranges from 1to 4 mx, where number 3 and 4 usually don't get much progression but I just play them to familiarize myself some more :)
Ditto

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2021, 04:44:49 am »
Yeah, typically around 3-4.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2021, 08:05:21 am »
Don't be discouraged by the responders above, Stefan ^^^
For newbie/intermediates like us, I imagine 1-2 is more the norm.
Of course, there's all the revisiting of songs we already learned and you 'relearn' those songs with your new abilities  :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2021, 08:20:24 am »
I work on one new one and revisit another one or two to see if I can improve them. I just find it difficult to try to learn any more.
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 140
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2021, 09:11:30 am »
I'm generally working on 1-2 i.e. getting the to a point where I can play through and sing without prompts and then developing 6-8 i.e. I know them but they need regular practice and polishing.

Typically a song will take me 1-2 weeks before I can play and sing it comfortably...probably 3-6 weeks in the developing pile. Obviously all depends on the complexity of the song.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
My Band: https://www.facebook.com/retrospectivemusicuk/
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0A

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 414
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2021, 10:39:48 am »
I'm generally working on 1-2 i.e. getting the to a point where I can play through and sing without prompts and then developing 6-8 i.e. I know them but they need regular practice and polishing.

Typically a song will take me 1-2 weeks before I can play and sing it comfortably...probably 3-6 weeks in the developing pile. Obviously all depends on the complexity of the song.

And just my own curiosity, Jason, how much effort and days involved. I know everybody is different but I think sometimes helpful to appreciate how much effort goes into this, not just think about the duration.

With the band you are developing quite a list of songs that you can play and sing from memory ... inspires me to keep plugging away.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 140
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2021, 10:54:06 am »
David, I practice everyday. Mon-Friday it's between 1-2 hours a day and at weekends it can easily be 3-4 hours on Sat and Sunday depending on what I'm doing (and it'll be split into separate 1-2 hour sessions over the day). On top of that we rehearse 2 hours every week. We've cut back a little on the OM at the moment because of time constraints but I'd say generally we do 2-3 month.

The only things I practice are songs. I generally find time during the day to "investigate" new songs.

For some examples I'm learning Lovecats by the Cure at the moment. Its hard to play and sing and it's taken me two weeks with daily practice to get it so I can play through and sing (I almost gave up on this one). I'm also learning some Christmas songs and they've only taken me a week to do the same.

For the 5-6 songs we've got learnt it's probably taken us 3 weeks to get a point where we are prepared to play 3 of them (which we'll do on Monday night hopefully). That is three rehearsals and practice inbetween.

Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 414
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2021, 03:28:39 pm »
David, I practice everyday. Mon-Friday it's between 1-2 hours a day and at weekends it can easily be 3-4 hours on Sat and Sunday depending on what I'm doing (and it'll be split into separate 1-2 hour sessions over the day). On top of that we rehearse 2 hours every week. We've cut back a little on the OM at the moment because of time constraints but I'd say generally we do 2-3 month.

The only things I practice are songs. I generally find time during the day to "investigate" new songs.

For some examples I'm learning Lovecats by the Cure at the moment. Its hard to play and sing and it's taken me two weeks with daily practice to get it so I can play through and sing (I almost gave up on this one). I'm also learning some Christmas songs and they've only taken me a week to do the same.

For the 5-6 songs we've got learnt it's probably taken us 3 weeks to get a point where we are prepared to play 3 of them (which we'll do on Monday night hopefully). That is three rehearsals and practice inbetween.

Thanks Jason. And the results of all that practice showed in the gig you did with the band.

One must make peace with balancing aspirations, rate of progress, and effort invested. And without understanding the effort somebody is investing you could upset yourself in making comparisons with other people who seem to be making more progress.

What you get out is certainly related to the quality and quantity of what you put in.

Look forward to the videos to come, Jason.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2021, 03:53:02 pm »
What you get out is certainly related to the quality and quantity of what you put in
or as Macca sang:
and in the end, the love you take...  ;) :-*

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 201
    • YouTube
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2021, 07:10:42 pm »

Well, your hard work and dedication have paid off. Hat's off for going for what you want out of your musical efforts. For me that would be a grind. 

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 140
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2021, 07:14:09 pm »
Clint to be honest I actually enjoy it most of the time...I've just finished just over an hour now and it flies by. It's also really positive to be playing things reasonably tight. The worst is actually when you have 4-5 days off and realise it's gone backwards  :( but it doesn't take long to get back into sync. I never thought I would ever play live like I am...but it does come with need to put in a bit of hard work even though we are but amateurs. It's also a social thing and we do have a laugh when practicing and playing out and about.

Offline SgtColon

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2021, 10:26:55 am »
Thank you for the replies everyone. :)

So on the back on this, when do you decide to leave a song behind because you can play it quite well? How often do you go back to it? Also, once you leave one song behind, do you then go and work on another?
Yamaha FG-411s acoustic.
G&L Tribute ASAT electric.
Boss Katana MkII 50 amp.

Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2021, 01:18:57 pm »
I would venture from my still under a year standpoint, I am working “with” quite a few songs, but only really learning a couple with any idea I may actually be able to fully play them.

My skills are what need work and so learning a song takes quite a while, because I still am building the skills needed to play them.

I imagine that in a few years when lots of skills are better developed, learning a song is much quicker, as it will involve more application of skill than development of skills.

So right now I would say that I have a good number of songs I am really using as tools to practice skills in a fun way. These are ones that I never graduate out of the song app for example.

Others I am trying to learn more in earnest, perhaps 3. These I use the app if available, Justin’s videos, song books and other internet resources. They still take a long, long time because my standards are higher than my skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GNS

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2021, 06:23:59 pm »
Oh, man, I think I spend a good chunk of the afternoon trying to figure out where to put embellishments of C, D and A chords in a strumming arrangement of Guns N' Roses "Patience"; I was running out of patience myself che-che-che, but after going through four or five different sources I think I've got it now.  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App