Author Topic: Bit of help with an electric guitar refurb  (Read 592 times)

Offline Dyserthbloke

• Good Vibes 0
Bit of help with an electric guitar refurb
« on: February 06, 2021, 04:02:06 pm »
Hi, Since just after Christmas, I've been trying to get back into playing guitar after many years.
All I've had to practice on has been a cheap classical, which has been fine, and the wide neck seemed easier to try to get to grips with, as I've got large-ish fingers. But I've been hoping to get a decent acoustic, maybe electro acoustic, before too long, and was unsure about whether a standard neck width would be too narrow.
Cut a long story short, I acquired an electric guitar yesterday. A cheap Encore solid body ( strat shape ? -
 you have to understand it's fifty years since I last played an electric guitar ). It's been in my sister in law's attic for the last twelve years, since our niece went off to university. I've spent the day cleaning it and stripping off loads of Spider-Man stickers etc. , the volume control and the Jack plug socket had both disappeared inside the body, and I've just put a new set of Daddario strings on. I was going to post before and after pics with this, but wasn't sure how to do it.  It's sounding a bit buzzy, as I took off the bridge to clean out all the gunk and dust. I was hoping somebody could help, maybe point me to an "idiot's guide" to the adjustments on the bridge ? I would be very grateful.
Funnily enough, after worrying about neck widths, my fingers don't seem to have a problem on this narrow neck. It came with a cheap amplifier, and it's a bit like a time machine  -  all of a sudden, I'm back in my bedroom in 1970, making a racket playing "House of The Rising Sun".  Anyway, have to go, I think Mum's shouting me for dinner, and I've got homework to do for school on Monday  ::)
 ;)
Cheers
Les

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Bit of help with an electric guitar refurb
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 04:35:47 pm »
Take a look at this:

Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Dyserthbloke

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 05:25:20 pm »
Brilliant, thanks Darrell.
Still not sure how to add photos on here  ???  Tried tapping the square above with a photo/painting in it?  but that just made [img] appear in my text, with no idea of what to do next, and the "attachments and other options" below the text box only talks about replies, topics and smileys. ?
I tend to do everything on my kindle fire tablet, is that the problem maybe ?

Cheers
Les

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 06:59:54 pm »
Still not sure how to add photos on here  ???
I tend to do everything on my kindle fire tablet, is that the problem maybe ?
Have a look here.
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=26572.0
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 09:06:51 pm »
No need to look outside of JustinGuitar for expert help on this:

https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/set-up-your-electric-guitar

:)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 09:08:05 pm »
I need to interject a note of caution.

A cheap Encore that has been very well looked after all its life is never going to be great.
One that has been in an attic for 12 years and subject to cold and damp may be a white elephant and never play right.

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 11:07:44 pm »
https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/restoring-an-old-guitar-zmaz82jazgoe

Try this. There’s a ton of information on the nets. Google truss rod adjustment, action adjustment, intonation. Look up your bridge and how to adjust it. Clean it, tighten everything give it a whirl.

I decided to get an electric so I can practice all the repetitive strumming without being kicked out of the house.

I paid $30 for a beat up old guitar, spent $30 on new strings and new electronics (except the pickups of course), shined it all up and it works fine. Still a piece of crap, I am sure, but will serve the purpose until I need something better. Plus I learned a lot.
It is a Westone Challenger, so may not have been too bad once.

Offline Dyserthbloke

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 11:21:25 pm »
Thanks very much for the replies and advice.
 As regards the adjustments to the bridge -  I should have known that I could have found an answer on here if I looked hard enough ( I'm a bit of a forum novice and find the dozens of options a bit bewildering )

Regarding the posting of pictures : Bloody Hell that sounds complicated. I think I'll just have to draw a word picture.  :-\

Regarding the state of the guitar : it was a free gift and I'm seeing it as a bit of a cheap learning experience/project -  it's cost me £5.70 for a set of strings and some elbow grease. I intend to buy a decent guitar in June when I qualify for my state pension ( I wanted to prove to myself that I could stick to learning the guitar before I spend £300 to £500 on a new one )  I always used to call it the old age pension but I no longer think of it in those terms, not sure why  ???

So, thanks again everyone,
Cheers
Les

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 11:44:19 pm »
I actually enjoyed fixing the bigger up enough that I may get a kit to build when I upgrade. Why not?

Offline Dyserthbloke

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 01:47:30 pm »
Why not, absolutely.  :D  Everybody needs a hobby.

Managed to set it up to the best of my abilities. I'm obviously no Luthier  ( I don't think I'd ever heard the word till I started watching all these videos about guitars ) but it seems ok and it plays quite nicely  - though you'll have to take my word for that, as I've no idea how to put a clip on here of me playing it, and I'm certainly not going to start putting myself on YouTube  ;D
The amp which came with the guitar just has "gain", "voice" and "volume" controls, plus a switch for "drive" ?  A bit of experimentation produced a decent tone and I've been sitting there trying to get to grips with "samba pa ti" , which I've always thought was a lovely soulful piece of music.  I'm no Carlos, and I don't think I'll ever make a living restoring guitars, but I'm quite happy with the guitar and glad to have the option to go electric when I'm in the mood to revisit my youth.
 :)

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 02:10:40 pm »
I always enjoy Carlos. That is something I am not ready to try, but I will put that goal on my radar.

Summer ‘87 Calvaras fairgrounds, I’ll never forget Carlos and Jerry jammed a half hour (it seemed) Watchtower. Combined with the alter states, it was a  true moment.

I think one nice thing with electrics is that so much of the sound is the amp, if you can get it playing nicely, it certainly is good enough to start. We can always upgrade later if we get serious enough to care.

Offline Dyserthbloke

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 02:56:34 pm »
Awesome. I would have loved to have been there.
When I say "trying to get to grips with", I mean exactly that   ::)  Give me another few weeks and I just might be able to play it all the way through.  ;D
As you say, it's nice to have something to practice on which sounds half decent. I think I will definitely get some sort of electro-acoustic when I start looking seriously in a couple of months. I'd like to have a collection but we just don't really have the room. Unless I start putting them on the wall in the living room and I don't think my wife would go for that  ???  Just going to have to build an extension  ;) 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App